HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Historic England research records Result
Historic England research recordsPrintable version | About Historic England research records

Historic England Research Records

Monument Number 23850

Hob Uid: 23850
Location :
Darlington
Non Civil Parish
Grid Ref : NZ2913014350
Summary : A manor house and chapel was built to the south of St Cuthbert's Church on a plot of land once called Hallgarth, by Bishop Pudsey in circa 1160 as a bishop's palace. In 1806 it was bought for use as a poor-house. Most of the palace was destroyed in 1828 during building operations and the chapel was destroyed circa 1870. No trace of the Bishop's Palace remains, the area being occupied by houses and courtyard.
More information : (NZ 29131435) Old Hall (NR) Remains of the Bishop's
Palace (NAT). (1)

An ancient manor house and chapel was built to the south of the
church on a plot of land called in ancient times, Hallgarth, by
Bishop Pudsey in circa 1160. In 1806 it was bought for use as a
poor-house. Most of the palace was destroyed in 1828 during building
operations and the chapel was destroyed circa 1870. (2-3)

NZ 29231435. No trace of the Bishop's Palace now remains, the area
being occupied by houses and courtyard. (4)

According to public feedback the site has been excavated and is due to be renovated. (5)

Sources :
Source Number : 1
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : OS 1:1056 Darlington Sheet 4 1856
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 2
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : History of Darlington 1854 188-9 (W H D Longstaffe)
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 3
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : History of the Church of St Cuthbert 1924 19-21 (Pritchett)
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 4
Source : Field Investigators Comments
Source details : F1 JHO 10-APR-53
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 5
Source : Oral information, correspondence (not archived) or staff comments
Source details : PastScape feedback, 21-OCT-2013
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :

Monument Types:
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : Built
Monument End Date : 1170
Monument Start Date : 1150
Monument Type : Chapel, Bishops Palace
Evidence : Documentary Evidence
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Palace disused by 1806
Monument End Date : 1806
Monument Start Date :
Monument Type : Bishops Palace
Evidence : Documentary Evidence
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Chapel demolihed
Monument End Date : 1870
Monument Start Date :
Monument Type : Chapel
Evidence : Demolished Building
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Palace demolished
Monument End Date : 1828
Monument Start Date :
Monument Type : Bishops Palace
Evidence : Demolished Building
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Converted to a poor house
Monument End Date :
Monument Start Date : 1806
Monument Type : Workhouse
Evidence : Documentary Evidence

Components and Objects:
Related Records from other datasets:
External Cross Reference Source : National Monuments Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : NZ 21 SE 17
External Cross Reference Notes :

Related Warden Records :
Associated Monuments : 1410968
Relationship type : General association

Related Activities :
Associated Activities : Primary, FIELD OBSERVATION ON NZ 21 SE 17
Activity type : FIELD OBSERVATION (VISUAL ASSESSMENT)
Start Date : 1953-04-10
End Date : 1953-04-10