HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Historic England research records Result
Historic England research recordsPrintable version | About Historic England research records

Historic England Research Records

Monument Number 2452

Hob Uid: 2452
Location :
Northumberland
Earle
Grid Ref : NT9890025430
Summary : A survey of 1541 refers to two `bastles' (peles) located within the township of Middleton Hall. One bastle was documented as having stood south of the present Hall and west of the farm buildings. It was demolished in 1806 but its foundations were later uncovered during the construction of a tennis court. It was believed that the second bastle stood in an adjacent field but no trace of such a structure is now visible above ground
More information : A survey of 1541 mentions that in the township of Middleton Hall are two stone houses or Bastles, one of the inheritance of Robert Rutherford and the other of John Rutherford.

A description of 1883 states that the present mansion house is modern. The old hall stood at the bottom of the present pleasure ground and may have represented one of the bastles mentioned in 1541. The foundations of the other are in the adjacent field. (1)

About midway between Castle Hill and the present house and adjoining the farm buildings on the west (Area NT 989254), are faint traces of the old tower, the walls of which were taken away in 1806 when building the offices. The walls were about 7 feet thick and 7 feet high and among the ruins was found an iron spearhead now in the possession of the proprietor. (2)

Old foundations were encountered when the tennis court was being constructed at NT 98902543.

This is south of the Hall and west of the farm buildings and agrees with the site of the tower as described by MacLaughlan. The situation is also at the bottom of a slope and is presumably the "bottom of the pleasure ground" referred to by NCH. The area is now occupied by flower beds, lawn and tennis court, with no traces of antiquity.

The 'adjoining field' is apparently that to the immediate south where a slight sub-rectangular enclosure 17m x 10m littered with stones, at NT 98962535, may represent the site of the second Castle. (3)

An estate map of 1802 held by the present owner of Middleton Hall shows a small isolated building in area NT 9890 2543.

Nothing is shown in area NT 98962535 and no suggestive names appear. The insubstantial nature of the sub-rectangular enclosure is no evidence for the siting of the second Bastle, and there is no indication of antiquity in its form. (4)

Listed by Cathcart King and by Dodds. (5,6)

Sources :
Source Number : 1
Source : A history of Northumberland, volume fourteen : the parishes of Alnham, Chatton, Chillingham, Eglingham, Ilderton, Ingram and Whittingham, the chapelries of Lowick and Doddington
Source details :
Page(s) : 291,294
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : vol.14
Source Number : 1a
Source : History of the Berwickshire Naturalists Club
Source details : H Berwick NC 10 p 282
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 2
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : Additional notes to the Memoir to the Roman Roads in Northumberland 1867 p42 (H MacLaughlan)
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 3
Source : Field Investigators Comments
Source details : F1 EG 29-SEP-55
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 3a
Source : Oral information, correspondence (not archived) or staff comments
Source details : Mr A Kirkup 29.9.55 Middleton Hall
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 4
Source : Field Investigators Comments
Source details : F2 JRL 10-SEP-76
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 5
Source : Bastions and Belligerents: Medieval Strongholds in Northumberland
Source details :
Page(s) : 108
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 6
Source : Castellarium anglicanum : an index and bibliography of the castles in England, Wales and the Islands. Volume II : Norfolk-Yorkshire and the islands
Source details :
Page(s) : 347
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :

Monument Types:
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : Built prior to 1541
Monument End Date : 1541
Monument Start Date :
Monument Type : Pele Tower
Evidence : Documentary Evidence, Demolished Building
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Demolished in 1806
Monument End Date : 1806
Monument Start Date : 1806
Monument Type : Pele Tower
Evidence : Demolished Building

Components and Objects:
Related Records from other datasets:
External Cross Reference Source : National Monuments Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : NT 92 NE 11
External Cross Reference Notes :

Related Warden Records :
Related Activities :
Associated Activities : Primary, FIELD OBSERVATION ON NT 92 NE 10
Activity type : FIELD OBSERVATION (VISUAL ASSESSMENT)
Start Date : 1955-09-29
End Date : 1955-09-29
Associated Activities : Primary, FIELD OBSERVATION ON NT 92 NE 10
Activity type : FIELD OBSERVATION (VISUAL ASSESSMENT)
Start Date : 1976-09-10
End Date : 1976-09-10