HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Historic England research records Result
Historic England research recordsPrintable version | About Historic England research records

Historic England Research Records

Slindon House

Hob Uid: 248870
Location :
West Sussex
Arun
Slindon
Grid Ref : SU9601008470
Summary : A house rebuilt in the 16th century on site of a Bishop's Palace built in the 13th to 15th centuries. The house has extensive alterations made in the 18th to 19th centuries and in 1921.
More information : [SU 9601 0847] Slindon House [G.T.] (1)

Slindon House, rebuilt in the 16th. century, is on or near the
site of a 13th. century residence of the
Archbishops of Canterbury (a).
Little of the early work remains though a 13th c. arch was
discovered in 1870. The square gatehouse cannot be later than
15thc. (2)

Slindon House is now the property of the National Trust. In
the garden to the North West of the house [At 'A' SU 9596 0857]
is a 15th. century tower. (3)

Slindon House, now Lindfield School
(but see letter-heading attached), has been so extensively
rebuilt that only a few of the architectural details are
readily recognisable as 16th C. work. The principal of these is
the porch and large mullioned and transomed window in the west
front. A few other windows of the same period are to be seen
at the back of the house. GP AO/F/52/58: Main doorway and
porch. W. front.

The gatehouse is sutuated at SU 9596 0857: it is partly stone,
partly flint rubble and has a top crenellation of modern brick.
It is in good condition.
GP AO/F/52/59: N. face of gatehouse. (4)

Slindon House, now Lindfield School, is as described by F1,
being much modified and not outstanding. The 13th c arch,
now blocked, is exposed within the house.

the gatehouse has been altered and little remains of its 15th c
character. Not outstanding; now a garden store. (5)

SU 90NE SLINDON TOP ROAD
SU 9608 (south side)
8 & 22/307
5.6.58 SLINDON TOP
II*

The property of the National Trust, now occupied by Slindon
College. The original house on the site was a medieval palace
of the Archbishops of Canterbury. Of this, there only remains
part of a tower in the garden to the north west of the house.
The house was then rebuilt by Sir Garet Kemps about 1560. it
was altered in the C18 and C19 and then again by Mervyn Macartney
in 1921. It is a mixture of these periods. The main portion is
L-shaped with later additions to the north. The south front is
largely C18. Two storeys and attic. Six windows. Four dormers.
Faced with flints. Parapet. Flanked by octagonal turrets of C16
character with cupolas over. Sash windows without glazing bars.
The west front is of C16 date and character, as altered in the
C19 and C20. Three storeys and attic. Six windows. Three dormers.
Two three-storeyed bays and porch with two storeys over.
Projecting wing at north end. Casement windows. (6)

Sources :
Source Number : 1
Source : Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date)
Source details : OS 6" 1961.
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 2
Source : The Victoria history of the county of Sussex, volume four : the Rape of Chichester
Source details : Article by M.E.Wood.
Page(s) : 234
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 4, 1953
Source Number : 2a
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : Acta Steph. Langton (Cant. & York.Soc.) 165-7
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 3
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : M.H.L.G. (Chichester R.D.) July 1958. Map Nos.18/38 A.&B. 44 & 45
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 4
Source : Field Investigators Comments
Source details : F1 CFW 02-MAR-62
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 5
Source : Field Investigators Comments
Source details : F2 NKB 14-SEP-72
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 6
Source : List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest
Source details : DOE(HHR)Dist of Arun, W. Sussex, Sept. 1984,126.
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :

Monument Types:
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : Built C13 to C15
Monument End Date : 1499
Monument Start Date : 1200
Monument Type : Gatehouse, Palace
Evidence : Documentary Evidence
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Altered C18-C19
Monument End Date : 1900
Monument Start Date : 1700
Monument Type : House
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : 20th Century
Display Date : Altered 1921
Monument End Date : 1921
Monument Start Date : 1921
Monument Type : House
Evidence : Extant Building

Components and Objects:
Related Records from other datasets:
External Cross Reference Source : Listed Building List Entry Legacy Uid
External Cross Reference Number : 413598
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : National Monuments Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : SU 90 NE 5
External Cross Reference Notes :

Related Warden Records :
Associated Monuments : 538651
Relationship type :

Related Activities :
Associated Activities : Primary, FIELD OBSERVATION ON SU 90 NE 5
Activity type : FIELD OBSERVATION (VISUAL ASSESSMENT)
Start Date : 1962-03-02
End Date : 1962-03-02
Associated Activities : Primary, FIELD OBSERVATION ON SU 90 NE 5
Activity type : FIELD OBSERVATION (VISUAL ASSESSMENT)
Start Date : 1972-09-14
End Date : 1972-09-14