HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Historic England research records Result
Historic England research recordsPrintable version | About Historic England research records

Historic England Research Records

Monument Number 250289

Hob Uid: 250289
Location :
Surrey
Guildford
Non Civil Parish
Grid Ref : SU9900049000
Summary : The old defensible town ditch of Guildford ran, as the names indicate, from the Dominican Friary near the river along North Street (the North ditch) and round to South treet. (the South ditch). This connected with the Castle Ditch (now Castle Street.). It has been traced at the corner of Chertsey Street. and right across Trinity churchyard between these two lines. When the church was enlarged in 1888, and graves were removed in consequence, the ditch was traced, with much Mediaeval pottery in it. It is possible the oldest town was walled and of yet smaller dimensions. A very thick ancient clunch wall, with a well on its South side, showing that to be the inside, ran about 30 yards South of the High Street, nearly parallel to it. It would have included St Mary's Church, and a small town around the Castle mount. If this was so, the High Street itself was originally a suburban extension, later included by the ditch.No traces of the town wall or ditch are now visible, and no excavations have revealed traces of the course of the town defences.
More information : The old defensible town ditch of Guildford ran, as the names indicate, from the Dominican Friary near the river along North Street (the North ditch) and round to South treet. (the South ditch). This connected with the Castle Ditch (now Castle Street.). It has been traced at the corner of Chertsey Street. and right across Trinity churchyard between these two lines. When the church was enlarged in 1888, and graves were removed in consequence, the ditch was traced, with much Mediaeval pottery in it. It is possible the oldest town was walled and of yet smaller dimensions. A very thick ancient clunch wall, with a well on its South side, showing that to be the inside, ran about 30 yards South of the High Street, nearly parallel to it. It would have included St Mary's Church, and a small town around the Castle mount. If this was so, the High Street itself was originally a suburban extension, later included by the ditch. (1)

No traces of the town wall or ditch are now visible. (2)

There is insufficient evidence for siting the course of the town ditch. No early literary references were encountered and early maps
show nothing that could be associated with the features described by authority 1. (3)

No further information. (4)

Sources :
Source Number : 1
Source : The Victoria history of the county of Surrey: volume three
Source details :
Page(s) : 547
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 2
Source : Field Investigators Comments
Source details : F1 ASP 27-NOV-58
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 3
Source : Field Investigators Comments
Source details : F2 EGG 03-JAN-59
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 4
Source : Field Investigators Comments
Source details : F3 ASP 16-JUL-66
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 5
Source : CBA research reports
Source details : Medieval Towns in England and Wales (ed) Barley
Page(s) : 58-9
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 14 - 1975

Monument Types:
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : Medieval
Monument End Date : 1540
Monument Start Date : 1066
Monument Type : Town Defences
Evidence : Documentary Evidence

Components and Objects:
Related Records from other datasets:
External Cross Reference Source : National Monuments Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : SU 94 NE 34
External Cross Reference Notes :

Related Warden Records :
Related Activities :
Associated Activities : Primary, FIELD OBSERVATION ON SU 94 NE 34
Activity type : FIELD OBSERVATION (VISUAL ASSESSMENT)
Start Date : 1958-11-27
End Date : 1958-11-27
Associated Activities : Primary, FIELD OBSERVATION ON SU 94 NE 34
Activity type : FIELD OBSERVATION (VISUAL ASSESSMENT)
Start Date : 1959-01-03
End Date : 1959-01-03
Associated Activities : Primary, FIELD OBSERVATION ON SU 94 NE 34
Activity type : FIELD OBSERVATION (VISUAL ASSESSMENT)
Start Date : 1966-07-16
End Date : 1966-07-16