HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Historic England research records Result
Historic England research recordsPrintable version | About Historic England research records

Historic England Research Records

Monument Number 25506

Hob Uid: 25506
Location :
Northumberland
Hebron
Grid Ref : NZ2015091150
Summary : Tower house, probably built circa 1520. The building was altered in the 17th century and refenestrated circa 1790. In the 18th century, it was divided into two dwellings by the construction of a brick partition wall. L-shaped in plan and stone-built, with a stone flag roof. Used as a farmhouse during the 19th century. Possibly stands on the site of a pre-1241 manor house.
More information : [Name NZ 20159115] The Tower [GT] (1)

Tower at Cockle Park (2)

Cockley Park - an old pile belonging to the Duchess of Newcastle. (3)

To judge from the heraldic panels in the walls, the splendid tower of Cockle Park was not built before 1461. (4)

The outside dimensions of the south front are about 54 ft, of the east 78 ft. The oldest part of the farmhouse is the tower which projects about 9 ft from the other appartments, and has round corbelled turrets at the north corners. The corbels are also contained between the turrets, where they have supported a machiolated parapet. The south east corner of the tower contains a stone circular staircase, and on its east front is a large tablet bearing the arms of Ogle, which show that no part of the building is older than 1461.

Prior to the erection of the present building there may have been a manor house of some description on the spot. 'Wiliam of Cookperce' is mentioned in 1241, and 'Cockelpke' was made one of the manors of the Bothal barony in Henry III's reign.

There is a legend that the southern part of the building had some 500 years ago been destroyed by fire. Traces of arches of windows are observable above the entrance where some considerable repairs or enlargements have been made. Strong underground foundations have been found showing that the building had formerly extended further to the south, but a stone said to have been found here proves the building in which it was placed not older than Sir Robert Ogle's and Helen Bertram's marriage.

The windows one above each other for three stories on the east side were square-headed, four light, with mullions and transoms, in the same way that the windows of six lights, now walled up, are on the west front. They are of the style of the 16th c. The present windows of the south and east sides were put in some 40 years ago.

A projection on the west side of the tower, which had small windows in it, fell in 1828. The opening so made was filled up in a line with the rest of the wall. (5)

The tower of Cockle Park stands on high ground. The whole of the southern portion of the building has been so altered first in the Jacobean style, when a stair turret was added on the west side, and afterwards in pseudo-gothic, that the only original part left is the North Tower. The entrance is in the east wall. The remains of the vault in the north end of the basement that was probably continued through the whole building, are now partitioned off to form a dairy. To the right of the entrance, the wheel stair ascends to the battlements. There is a square headed doorway to the first floor, now blocked up. The second floor doorway led into a chamber running along the east wall, 4' 3" wide. The far end has been bricked up, and an opening made into what must have been the principal chamber, through the thin internal wall. Further up the stairs is a small roughly vaulted chamber, and the stair terminates under a small gable with doors leading onto the east and north walks. (6)

The tower is used as a farmhouse in connection with the experimental farming carried on by the Agricultural Department of King's College, Newcastle. (7)

NZ 210912. Descriptions in authorities (5) and (6) are generally correct except for:-

(i) The older part of the tower projects about 6 feet, not 9 feet,
from the other part of the building (Authority (5), para 1)

(ii) No visible traces remain of any window arches above any of the entrances (Authority (5), para 3)

(iii) No trace remains of any mullioned four light windows on the east side (Authority (5), para 4)

The northern part of the tower with its two corbelled turrets, machiolations and small slit windows is obviously of earlier date than the remainder of the building. A building line representing the junction of the two stages of building is is distinctly visible on the west side. This older part has similar features to Chipchase Castle and probably dates from the late 15th/early 16th cent. [See Northum 74 SW 3]

The southern part of the building, with its large mullioned and transomed windows on the west side, would appear to be of the late 17th cent which is in accordance with the Jacobean date given by authority (6).

The building is in good condition and at present in use as a students' hostel. The tower is worthy of protection as an ancient monument. (8)

Condition unchanged. (9)

Cockle Park Tower Oblong stone tower c.1520, with machicolated parapet and corner round turrets, finely moulded. 2-light stone-mullioned windows and "cross" windows. Steeply pitched stone roof. Inserted sash windows in 3 storeys, added c.1790. Disused. Grade II*. (10)

Cockle Park Tower. Thought to have been built ca.1520 for Sir William, 4th Lord Ogle. Grade I. (11)

Listed by Cathcart King and Dodds. (12,13)

Sources :
Source Number : 1
Source : Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date)
Source details : OS 6" 1924
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 2
Source : Archaeologia Aeliana : or miscellaneous tracts relating to antiquity
Source details : Arch Ael 4th Ser 16 1939 162 Map of Md Northum and Durham (RN Hadcock)
Page(s) : 162
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 16
Source Number : 10
Source : List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest
Source details : DOE(HHR)Morpeth RD, Northum, April 1969, 5
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 11
Source : List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest
Source details : DOE (HHR) Borough of Castle Morpeth Jan 86 27
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 12
Source : Bastions and Belligerents: Medieval Strongholds in Northumberland
Source details :
Page(s) : 223
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 13
Source : Castellarium anglicanum : an index and bibliography of the castles in England, Wales and the Islands. Volume II : Norfolk-Yorkshire and the islands
Source details :
Page(s) : 330
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 3
Source : Archaeologia Aeliana : or miscellaneous tracts relating to antiquity
Source details : Arch Ael 3rd Ser 13 1916 5 List of Ruined Towers, Chapels etc in Northum c.1715 (J C Hodgson)
Page(s) : 5
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 13
Source Number : 3a
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : MS. John Warburton
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 4
Source : Archaeologia Aeliana : or miscellaneous tracts relating to antiquity
Source details : Arch Ael 2nd Ser 14 1891 21-22 (CJ Bates)
Page(s) : 21-Feb
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 14
Source Number : 5
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : History of Northumberland 2 Pt II 1832 140-141 (Sketch p.139) (J Hodgson)
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 6
Source : Archaeologia Aeliana : or miscellaneous tracts relating to antiquity
Source details : Arch Ael 2nd Ser 14 1891 390-1 (Photo and Sketch) (CJ Bates)
Page(s) : 390-1
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 14
Source Number : 7
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : Borderland Castle and Peles 1939 68 (R Hugill)
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 8
Source : Field Investigators Comments
Source details : F1 EG 10-JAN-57
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 9
Source : Field Investigators Comments
Source details : F2 RE 28-APR-71
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :

Monument Types:
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : Pre 1241
Monument End Date : 1241
Monument Start Date :
Monument Type : Manor House
Evidence : Documentary Evidence
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Post-1461
Monument End Date : 1461
Monument Start Date : 1461
Monument Type : Tower House
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Altered C17
Monument End Date : 1699
Monument Start Date : 1600
Monument Type : Tower House
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Altered C18
Monument End Date : 1799
Monument Start Date : 1700
Monument Type : Tower House
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Altered c1790
Monument End Date : 1800
Monument Start Date : 1780
Monument Type : Tower House
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : C19
Monument End Date : 1900
Monument Start Date : 1801
Monument Type : Farmhouse
Evidence : Extant Building

Components and Objects:
Related Records from other datasets:
External Cross Reference Source : Listed Building List Entry Legacy Uid
External Cross Reference Number : 238298
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : National Monuments Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : NZ 29 SW 5
External Cross Reference Notes :

Related Warden Records :
Related Activities :
Associated Activities : Primary, FIELD OBSERVATION ON NZ 29 SW 5
Activity type : FIELD OBSERVATION (VISUAL ASSESSMENT)
Start Date : 1957-01-10
End Date : 1957-01-10
Associated Activities : Primary, FIELD OBSERVATION ON NZ 29 SW 5
Activity type : FIELD OBSERVATION (VISUAL ASSESSMENT)
Start Date : 1971-04-28
End Date : 1971-04-28
Associated Activities : Primary, COCKLE PARK TOWER
Activity type : ARCHITECTURAL SURVEY
Start Date : 2006-01-01
End Date : 2006-12-31
Associated Activities : Primary, COCKLE PARK TOWER
Activity type : DENDROCHRONOLOGICAL SURVEY
Start Date : 2009-01-01
End Date : 2009-12-31