HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Historic England research records Result
Historic England research recordsPrintable version | About Historic England research records

Historic England Research Records

East Cowton Templars Preceptory

Hob Uid: 25548
Location :
North Yorkshire
Hambleton
East Cowton
Grid Ref : NZ3100003000
Summary : House of Knights Templars at Templars Cowton founded 1142, until circa 1308-12 when it was taken over by the Knights Hospitallers, who maintained a chaplain there, but not a Preceptory.
More information : A house of the Knights Templars was founded at East Cowton (NZ 3103, sometimes called Temple Cowton because of the Templars' lands) circa 1142 and dissolved in 1308-12. In 1308 there were 2 brethren and the preceptor, and the preceptory consisted of hall, chamber, chapel, kitchen, brewhouse and smithy.

It passed to the Knights Hospitallers who maintained a chaplain etc. in 1338, but not a preceptory. (1-2)

Sources :
Source Number : 1
Source : The Victoria history of the county of York: volume three
Source details :
Page(s) : 259
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 2
Source : Medieval religious houses in England and Wales
Source details :
Page(s) : 292-3
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :

Monument Types:
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : Extant
Monument End Date : 1312
Monument Start Date : 1142
Monument Type : Templars Preceptory
Evidence : Documentary Evidence
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : Extant
Monument End Date : 1338
Monument Start Date : 1312
Monument Type : Hospitallers Camera
Evidence : Documentary Evidence

Components and Objects:
Related Records from other datasets:
External Cross Reference Source : National Monuments Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : NZ 30 SW 6
External Cross Reference Notes :

Related Warden Records :
Related Activities :