HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Historic England research records Result
Historic England research recordsPrintable version | About Historic England research records

Historic England Research Records

Baysdale Priory

Hob Uid: 28027
Location :
North Yorkshire
Scarborough
Westerdale
Grid Ref : NZ6205306694
Summary : Cistercian nunnery founded circa 1189 dissolved 1539 originally sited at first, Hutton, and then at Nunthorpe (NZ 51 SW 3). In circa 1189 it was moved to Baysdale which had been granted by Guy de Bovincourt. The priory was suppressed in 1539, assessed to have an income of only £20 and housed 11 nuns including the prioress. A farmhouse now occupies the general area and lies on a large level building platform which is defined on the southwest side by a ha ha. To the south west of the farm house there is an L shaped section of ditch cut into the rising ground, the corner of which is at approximately NZ 6205 0660. This may be the south western corner of the precinct with the eastern and northern sides formed by a pair of narrow but deeply cut streams. The northern stream is crossed at NZ 6204 0676 by a medieval bridge which is scheduled as NY1265. No evidence of archaeological survival remains of the priory.
More information : (NZ 62090666) Baysdale Abbey on site of (NAT) Priory of Basedale (NR) (Cistercian Nunnery founded c AD 1189) (NAT). (1)
Priory of St Mary for Cistercian Nuns, founded at Hutton circa 1169, moved to Nunthorpe circa 1167, then to Baysdale (Basedale) circa 1189. Dissolved 1539. (2)
An inscribed tombstone was seen by R Close in 1956 at NZ 62120663. (3)
The Priory of St Mary was founded circa 1162 for an 'abbess' and nuns at Hutton by Ralph de Nevill who moved it to Nunthorpe in circa 1167. In circa 1189 it was moved to Baysdale which had been granted by Guy de Bovincourt. The priory was suppressed in 1539, assessed to have an income of only £20 and housed 11 nuns including the prioress.
The large farm house (NZ 6210 0667) that now occupies the general area has two date stones,: 1633 and 1839. The building is considered to be early nineteenth century and although stone built does not appear to retain any medieval architectural fragments. The farm house lies on a large level building platform which is defined on the south west side by a ha ha. The group of buildings to the north east are brick built late eighteenth/nineteenth century farm buildings occupying a lower level. To the north of these there are further modern farm buildings. To the south west of the farm house there is an L shaped section of ditch cut into the rising ground, the corner of which is at approximately NZ 6205 0660. This feature shows on the aerial photograph ANY 291/12. This may be the south western corner of the precinct with the eastern and northern sides formed by a pair of narrow but deeply cut streams. The northern stream is crossed at NZ 6204 0676 by a medieval bridge which is scheduled as NY1265. This bridge now only carries occasional light traffic and could be closed entirely to vehicles as a new bridge has been built some 100m to the west.
As there is as yet no evidence of archaeological survival of remains of the priory, it is recommended that this site cannot be put forward for scheduling at this time. It is recommended that archaeological conditions should be put on developments within the area. If in the future it can be demonstrated that further remains do survive then the site would be a candidate for scheduling. (4)

Sources :
Source Number : 1
Source : Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date)
Source details : OS 6" 1958
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 2
Source : Medieval religious houses in England and Wales
Source details :
Page(s) : 272
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 3
Source : Annotated Record Map
Source details : Corr 6" (RH Hayes 1957)
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 4
Source : English Heritage Alternative Action Report
Source details : Eric Istone, 30th September 1997
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :

Monument Types:
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date :
Monument End Date : 1539
Monument Start Date : 1189
Monument Type : Cistercian Nunnery, Priory
Evidence : Documentary Evidence

Components and Objects:
Related Records from other datasets:
External Cross Reference Source : SMR Number (N Yorks Moors National Park)
External Cross Reference Number : 785
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : National Monuments Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : NZ 60 NW 4
External Cross Reference Notes :

Related Warden Records :
Associated Monuments : 27705
Relationship type : General association
Associated Monuments : 27748
Relationship type : General association

Related Activities :
Associated Activities : Primary, LAND AT BAYSDALE ABBEY
Activity type : WATCHING BRIEF
Start Date : 2008-01-01
End Date : 2008-12-31