HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Historic England research records Result
Historic England research recordsPrintable version | About Historic England research records

Historic England Research Records

Monument Number 29372

Hob Uid: 29372
Location :
North Yorkshire
Scarborough
Egton
Grid Ref : NZ8164000990
Summary : St. Julian's Castle was a mansion or hunting lodge belonging to the de Mauleys of Mulgrave. The forest of Egton was granted to them in 1222 and the house was probably built within its deer park (NZ 80 SW 11) later in the same century. It was used as a residence in 1294, and although the later history is obscure its occupation was probably short. Young (5) mentions the regular form of the site, presumably the moat, which measured 80 yards by 60 yards. The building itself seems to have been completely eradicated in the mid-19th century, for Banks (a) says the then present tenant of the land had dug up the foundations over half an acre and brought the site into cultivation. Only a fragment of a building now remains, situated near the spring on the east side of the field, and worked stone is visible in the adjacent field wall. A "Saxon quern or handmill", 15 ins diameter and 5 ins high, was found near the site (4). (4 - 6)
More information : (NZ 81640099) St Julian's Castle (NR) (Site of) (NAT) Moat (NR) (1)

St Julian's Castle (site of) applies to the site of an ancient castle. Ord in his history of antiquities of Cleveland gives the date of this castle as AD 1294. There is no trace of the ancient moat. (2)

No visible remains. (3)

St Julian's Castle was a mansion or hunting lodge belonging to the de Mauleys of Mulgrave. The forest of Egton was granted to them in 1222 and the house was probably built within its deer park (NZ 80 SW 11) later in the same century. It was used as a residence in 1294, and although the later history is obscure its occupation was probably short. Young (5) mentions the regular form of the site, presumably the moat, which measured 80 yards by 60 yards. The building itself seems to have been completely eradicated in the mid-19th century, for Banks (a) says the then present tenant of the land had dug up the foundations over half an acre and brought the site into cultivation. Only a fragment of a building now remains, situated near the spring on the east side of the field, and worked stone is visible in the adjacent field wall.

A "Saxon quern or handmill", 15 ins diameter and 5 ins high, was found near the site (4). (4 - 6)

Sources :
Source Number : 1
Source : Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date)
Source details : OS 6" 1853
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 2
Source : Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Object Name Book reference
Source details : ONB Yorks 45 SE 1893 (Rev 1910) 30
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 2a
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : Hist of Cleveland (J W Ord)
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 3
Source : Field Investigators Comments
Source details : F1 BHP 13-FEB-74
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 4
Source : History and topography of the city of York and the North Riding of Yorkshire : embracing a general review of the early history of Great Britain, and a general history and description of the county of York [2 volumes]
Source details : Hist & Topography of York & NR 2 1859 828-9 (T Whellan & Co)
Page(s) : 828-829
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 5
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : Hist of Whitby pt 2 1817 704 (G Young)
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 6
Source : Wade's Causeway : a Roman road in north-east Yorkshire
Source details : Scarborough & Dist AS Res Rep 4 Wade's Causeway 1964 64 (RH Hayes & JG Rutter)
Page(s) : 64
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : no.4
Source Number : 6a
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : Walks in Yorks: The NE 1866 (W S Banks)
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :

Monument Types:
Monument Period Name : Early Medieval
Display Date : Saxon
Monument End Date : 1066
Monument Start Date : 450
Monument Type : Findspot
Evidence :
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : Built 1222-1294
Monument End Date : 1300
Monument Start Date : 1200
Monument Type : Hunting Lodge, House, Fortified House, Moat
Evidence : Documentary Evidence

Components and Objects:
Period : Early Medieval
Component Monument Type : Findspot
Object Type : QUERN
Object Material :

Related Records from other datasets:
External Cross Reference Source : National Monuments Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : NZ 80 SW 12
External Cross Reference Notes :

Related Warden Records :
Related Activities :
Associated Activities : Primary, FIELD OBSERVATION ON NZ 80 SW 12
Activity type : FIELD OBSERVATION (VISUAL ASSESSMENT)
Start Date : 1974-02-13
End Date : 1974-02-13