HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Historic England research records Result
Historic England research recordsPrintable version | About Historic England research records

Historic England Research Records

Monument Number 1546706

Hob Uid: 1546706
Location :
Medway
Frindsbury Extra
Grid Ref : TQ7455072087
Summary : A Second World War military installation, probably an anti aircraft gun emplacement, has been mapped from aerial photographs as part of the English Heritage: Hoo Peninsula Landscape Project. This installation is situated near the foot of the west facing slope between Islingham Farm and Haven Street Wood, and could have provided protection for the many sites on Deangate Ridge, including the Upnor and Chattenden military railway (Monument 1545587), Chattenden Barracks (Monument 1545088) and Magazines (Monument 1481790 and 1545604) and the Lodge Hill Ordnance Depot (Monument 1077634). It comprises at least four small buildings within a rectangular enclosure, accessed by a long track along which are a small gun emplacement and another military support building. This gun emplacement appears to have been in place by November 1940, when it was shown on a German military map based on aerial photographic evidence.
More information : TQ 7459 7216. A Second World War military installation, probably an anti aircraft gun emplacement, has been mapped from aerial photographs as part of the English Heritage: Hoo Peninsula Landscape Project. This installation is situated near the foot of the west facing slope between Islingham Farm and Haven Street Wood, and could have provided protection for the many sites on Deangate Ridge, including the Upnor and Chattenden military railway (Monument 1545587), Chattenden Barracks (Monument 1545088) and Magazines (Monument 1481790 and 1545604) and the Lodge Hill Ordnance Depot (Monument 1077634). It comprises at least four small buildings within a rectangular enclosure about 90m by 42m, accessed by a long track along which are a small gun emplacement (at TQ 7448 7194) and another military support building (at TQ 7451 7202). (1-3)

This gun emplacement appears to have been in place by November 1940, when it was shown on a German military map based on aerial photographic evidence. (4)

Sources :
Source Number : 1
Source : Vertical aerial photograph reference number
Source details : NMR RAF/HLA/617 6100 20-JUN-1942
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 2
Source : Vertical aerial photograph reference number
Source details : NMR US/7GR/LOC348 3059 27-MAY-1944
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 3
Source : Vertical aerial photograph reference number
Source details : NMR RAF/CPE/UK/1923 3086 16-JAN-1947
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 4
Source : Beaches, fields, streets and hills: the anti-invasion landscape of England, 1940
Source details : Foot, W.
Page(s) : 408
Figs. : 219
Plates :
Vol(s) :

Monument Types:
Components and Objects:
Related Records from other datasets:
External Cross Reference Source : National Monuments Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : TQ 77 SW 170
External Cross Reference Notes :

Related Warden Records :
Associated Monuments : 1481790
Relationship type : General association
Associated Monuments : 1545587
Relationship type : General association
Associated Monuments : 1548391
Relationship type : General association
Associated Monuments : 1548392
Relationship type : General association
Associated Monuments : 1545604
Relationship type : General association
Associated Monuments : 1545088
Relationship type : General association
Associated Monuments : 1548085
Relationship type : General association
Associated Monuments : 1077634
Relationship type : General association

Related Activities :
Associated Activities : Primary, ENGLISH HERITAGE: HOO PENINSULA LANDSCAPE PROJECT NMP
Activity type : AERIAL PHOTOGRAPH INTERPRETATION
Start Date : 2010-09-01
End Date : 2012-03-01