HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Historic England research records Result
Historic England research recordsPrintable version | About Historic England research records

Historic England Research Records

St Marys House

Hob Uid: 306605
Location :
Staffordshire
Lichfield
Lichfield
Grid Ref : SK1168009770
Summary : Medieval house, altered and extended circa 1710, and incorporating the remains of an early 14th century defensive close wall and turret built by Bishop Walter de Langton. The wall forms the eastern and southern sides of the house, which may have been built in the 14th century or earlier. The house was further altered circa 1805, during the 1860s and between 1966-7. It was restored in 1988-90 and is now in use as an office.
More information : (SK 11680977) Tower (NR) (Remains of) (1)

The remains of a turret are built into a house at the SE corner of Lichfield Close. (2)

The Vicarage incorporates the remains of a large building erected at the south-east corner of the Close, the defensive wall built by Bishop Walter de Langton, in the 13/14th century, forming its eastern and southern sides. A turret or tower formed on the corner is of the same date. For many years it was a prebendal house but became the Vicarage of St Mary's Church in the last century. The house was rebuilt in 1710 (a).

As stated by the Rev Cresswell the corner of the Close wall is clearly visible, forming the outer walls on the east and south of
this house. The walling is of stone in large blocks and contains several arrow-slits and two original windows. The base has a raking plinth, formerly in the moat. The tower is octagonal, built
of ashlar, and originally contained a newel stair with landings from which arrow-slits observe the wall on either side.

The interior of the house contains much original stonework with a series of passages giving access to the arrow-slits in the Close wall. The front of the house is of brick. See photograph. (3)

No change. The Vicarage is now the office of Diocesan Board of Finance. (4)

St Mary's House, The Close. Listed Grade II*. (5)

Listed by Cathcart King. (6)

Sources :
Source Number : 1
Source : Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date)
Source details : OS 1:500 1884
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 2
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : Staffordshire 1930 174 (C Masefield)
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 3
Source : Field Investigators Comments
Source details : F1 WW 07-MAY-58
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 3a
Source : Oral information, correspondence (not archived) or staff comments
Source details : Oral: Rev E Cresswell Vicar of Lichfield
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 4
Source : Field Investigators Comments
Source details : F2 DJC 09-APR-74
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 5
Source : List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest
Source details : District of Lichfield, 17-JUN-1994
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 6
Source : Castellarium anglicanum : an index and bibliography of the castles in England, Wales and the Islands. Volume II : Norfolk-Yorkshire and the islands
Source details :
Page(s) : 454
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :

Monument Types:
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : Pre C14
Monument End Date : 1299
Monument Start Date :
Monument Type : House, First Floor Hall House
Evidence : Extant Building, Conjectural Evidence
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Early C14
Monument End Date : 1332
Monument Start Date : 1300
Monument Type : Cathedral Close, Precinct Wall, Tower, House, First Floor Hall House
Evidence : Structure, Extant Building, Conjectural Evidence
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : c1710
Monument End Date : 1720
Monument Start Date : 1700
Monument Type : Clergy House
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : c1805
Monument End Date : 1815
Monument Start Date : 1795
Monument Type : Clergy House, Vicarage
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : 1860s
Monument End Date : 1869
Monument Start Date : 1860
Monument Type : Vicarage
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : 20th Century
Display Date : 1966-7
Monument End Date : 1967
Monument Start Date : 1966
Monument Type : Vicarage
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : 20th Century
Display Date : 1988-90
Monument End Date : 1990
Monument Start Date : 1988
Monument Type : Office
Evidence : Extant Building

Components and Objects:
Related Records from other datasets:
External Cross Reference Source : Listed Building List Entry Legacy Uid
External Cross Reference Number : 382795
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : National Monuments Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : SK 10 NW 31
External Cross Reference Notes :

Related Warden Records :
Related Activities :
Associated Activities : Primary, FIELD OBSERVATION ON SK 10 NW 31
Activity type : FIELD OBSERVATION (VISUAL ASSESSMENT)
Start Date : 1958-05-07
End Date : 1958-05-07
Associated Activities : Primary, FIELD OBSERVATION ON SK 10 NW 31
Activity type : FIELD OBSERVATION (VISUAL ASSESSMENT)
Start Date : 1974-04-09
End Date : 1974-04-09