HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Historic England research records Result
Historic England research recordsPrintable version | About Historic England research records

Historic England Research Records

St James Priory

Hob Uid: 313315
Location :
City of Derby
Non Civil Parish
Grid Ref : SK3517036240
Summary : St. James's Church stood in St. James's Street, formerly St. James's Lane. It was given to the Cluniac monastery of Bermondsey before 1140 and remained a cell until 1395. A hospital for religious brethren was attached to it. The priory, church and hospital were accidentally burnt down in 1335 and rebuilt. It was denizen from 1395 until the Dissolution in 1536. The traditional site is in the lane on the north side near the brook. A large key, human remains and an incised grave slab have been found at the site. (See plan on SK 33 NW 7).
More information : [SK 35173624] St. James's church stood in St. James's Street, formerly St. James's Lane. It was given to the Cluniac monastery of Bermondsey before 1140 and became a priory cell until its dissolution in 1536. A hospital for religious brethren was
attached to it. The traditional site is in the lane on the north side near the brook. A large key, human remains and an incised grave slab have been found at the site. (See plan on SK 33 NW 7). (1-5)

No remains visible - unable to confirm the site. (6)

Sources :
Source Number : 1
Source : Journal of the Derbyshire Archaeological and Natural History Society
Source details : F Williamson
Page(s) : 20
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 63, 1942
Source Number : 2
Source : Medieval religious houses : England and Wales
Source details :
Page(s) : 96,267
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 3
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : The Reliquary,18,1877-8,136 (L.Jewitt)
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 4
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : The Reliquary, 9,1868-9,63-4 (A. Wallis)
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 5
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : Magna Britannia, 5,1817,101,plan. (Lysons)
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 6
Source : Field Investigators Comments
Source details : F1 FRH 29-NOV-66
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 7
Source : Medieval religious houses in England and Wales
Source details :
Page(s) : 99,355
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :

Monument Types:
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : Extant
Monument End Date : 1395
Monument Start Date : 1140
Monument Type : Church, Cluniac Cell, Hospital
Evidence : Documentary Evidence
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : Burnt down and rebuilt
Monument End Date : 1335
Monument Start Date : 1335
Monument Type : Church, Cluniac Monastery, Priory, Hospital
Evidence : Documentary Evidence
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : Denizen
Monument End Date : 1536
Monument Start Date : 1395
Monument Type : Church, Cluniac Monastery, Priory
Evidence : Documentary Evidence

Components and Objects:
Related Records from other datasets:
External Cross Reference Source : National Monuments Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : SK 33 NE 21
External Cross Reference Notes :

Related Warden Records :
Associated Monuments : 1303378
Relationship type : General association

Related Activities :
Associated Activities : Primary, FIELD OBSERVATION ON SK 32 SE 23
Activity type : FIELD OBSERVATION (VISUAL ASSESSMENT)
Start Date : 1966-11-29
End Date : 1966-11-29