HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Historic England research records Result
Historic England research recordsPrintable version | About Historic England research records

Historic England Research Records

Breadsall Priory

Hob Uid: 313677
Location :
Derbyshire
Erewash
Breadsall
Grid Ref : SK3815041410
Summary : Country house built on the site of an Augustinian priory. Holy Trinity Priory was only a small priory, and was founded before 1266 and suppressed in 1536. Apart from a 13th century arch retained in the basement of the present house, there are no remains. The present house is an E-plan Elizabethan house remodelled c1861 by Robert Scrivener and extended in 1899 and 1906. Home of Erasmus Darwin and also of Sir Alfred Seale Haslam. In 1980 it became a golf club and hotel.
More information : [SK 38064144] Breadsall Priory on Site of Priory [GT]. (1)

The Augustinian Canons' Priory Cell, at Breadsall, was founded in the 13thC 'well before it was first recorded' in the Patent Roll of 1266. It was then described as a house of Austin Friars, "apparently an error, on the part of the scribe, for canons'. (a) It was a "very small priory, probably for three or four canons at most, the income in 1291, being nearly #6. In 1535 there were no canons apart from the prior". (2)

Breadsall Priory, is a "Jacobean mansion which... been so much altered"in the 19th C" as not to be recognisable in more than a few gables (S and N) and mullioned windows. An arch of the Augustinian Priory, founded in the 13thC, is incorporated in the basement. (3)

The house which now occupies the site of the Priory, "was built by Sir John Bentley (died 1621) in the latter part of the reign of Elizabeth, but it was very considerably enlarged and the old walls re-faced by the late Mr. Francis Morley". (4)

Description of modern house and remains of priory arch. (plan). History. (5)

History. (6)

Hist. notes. (7)

The old priory appears to have first become the residence of Sir J. Bentley some 60 years after the dissolution, which would accord with the architecture of the oldest parts of the present Priory House which belong to the end of Elizabeth's reign or the beginning of James's reign.
An engraving of the house published in 1791 in Blore's account of the manor and priory shows the structure with steep-pitched gables and four storeys of lofty mullioned windows. The engraving also shows a large dovecote NE of the house, octagonal in shape diminishingin size towards the top and of timber. This may have been of great antiquity as a dovecot is mentioned at the Priory in 1291. In excavating on the N. side of the Priory House to locate the dovecote foundations [c1858] Sir. F. Darwin uncovered the foundations of the chapel. [includes full history of the Priory.] (8)

Externally Breadsall Priory appears to be modern. The bailiff confirmed that 13th cent. work is extant in the cellars. (9)

0 1/22 II Breadsall Priory

Large mansion in park to first appearances of circa 1840, but incorporating a gabled Hall of probably circa 1600 which in its turn incorporates remains of the medieval Austin Friary here. The E-shaped house of circa 1600 is described first.
Two storeys and attic, ashlar, five coped gables the centre and ends projecting as wings each with three-light mullioned and transomed windows. The left hand one was converted into a flat topped battlemented tower in the last century. In front of this house in the C19 was built a two storey ashlar addition with two and a half gables and mullion and transomed windows with shaped lights, and with a central one storey Gothic style porch with corner turrets and pierced projecting wing with two mullion and transom windows. Ground floor with canted Gothic bay window with battlements. (10)

Sources :
Source Number : 1
Source : Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date)
Source details : OS 6" 1913-38
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 2
Source : Medieval religious houses : England and Wales
Source details :
Page(s) : 129,203
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 10
Source : List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest
Source details : DOE (HHR) Boro of Erewash Derby Dec.1960 6-7
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 11
Source : Medieval religious houses in England and Wales
Source details :
Page(s) : 149
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 2a
Source : The Victoria history of the county of Derby, volume two
Source details :
Page(s) : 54
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 3
Source : The Buildings of England
Source details : Derbyshire, 1953 p.70
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 4
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : Hist. Topo & Directory of Derbyshire' 1895, p.712 (T. Bulmer & Co.)
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 5
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : J.D.A. & N.H.S. Vol. 27, 1905 pp.127-37 (Currey P.H.) pp. 138-149 (J.C. Cox)
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 6
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : V.C.H. Derby Vol. 2 1907 pp.54-6
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 7
Source : Journal of the Derbyshire Archaeological and Natural History Society
Source details : F.N. Fisher
Page(s) : 64-5
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 73, 1953
Source Number : 8
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : 'The Churches of Derbyshire' Vol. 3 1877 p.67-78 (J.C. Cox)
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 9
Source : Field Investigators Comments
Source details : F1 FDC 02-JAN-67
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :

Monument Types:
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : Extant
Monument End Date : 1536
Monument Start Date : 1266
Monument Type : Augustinian Monastery, Priory, Arch, Chapel
Evidence : Architectural Component, Sub Surface Deposit
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Post Medieval
Monument End Date : 1901
Monument Start Date : 1540
Monument Type : Country House
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : 20th Century
Display Date : Remodelled
Monument End Date : 1906
Monument Start Date : 1906
Monument Type : Country House
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : 20th Century
Display Date : Converted
Monument End Date : 1980
Monument Start Date : 1980
Monument Type : Hotel, Golf Club
Evidence : Extant Building

Components and Objects:
Related Records from other datasets:
External Cross Reference Source : NBR Index Number
External Cross Reference Number : 86781
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : National Monuments Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : SK 34 SE 17
External Cross Reference Notes :

Related Warden Records :
Associated Monuments : 1066137
Relationship type : General association

Related Activities :
Associated Activities : Primary, UNKNOWN
Activity type : FIELD OBSERVATION (VISUAL ASSESSMENT)
Start Date :
End Date :
Associated Activities : Primary, FIELD OBSERVATION ON SK 34 NW 31
Activity type : FIELD OBSERVATION (VISUAL ASSESSMENT)
Start Date : 1967-01-02
End Date : 1967-01-02
Associated Activities : Primary, BREADSALL PRIORY
Activity type : WATCHING BRIEF
Start Date : 1999-01-01
End Date : 1999-12-31
Associated Activities : Primary, LAND AT BREADSALL PRIORY
Activity type : DESK BASED ASSESSMENT
Start Date : 2015-01-01
End Date : 2015-12-31