HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Historic England research records Result
Historic England research recordsPrintable version | About Historic England research records

Historic England Research Records

Newstead Abbey

Hob Uid: 318057
Location :
Nottinghamshire
Gedling
Newstead
Grid Ref : SK5425153727
Summary : An Augustinian Priory, established circa 1170 by Henry II, extended and rebuilt in the late 13th century with the Prior's Lodgings, Great Hall and Dorter added in the 15th century. The monastery was dissolved in 1539 and in the following year Henry VIII granted Newstead to Sir John Byron, an ancestor of the poet George Gordon Byron, who converted the priory into a country house for his family. The house was restored by George Gordon Byron circa 1800. It was then extended and restored by John Shaw for Colonel Wildman in 1819 with a further alteration taking place circa 1862 for William Frederick Webb, African explorer and friend of Dr David Livingstone. Following Mr Webb's death in 1899, the estate passed to each of his surviving children and finally to his grandson Charles Ian Fraser. Mr Fraser sold Newstead to the Nottinghamshire philanthropist Sir Julien Cahn, who presented it to Nottingham Corporation in 1931. The structure is constructed from coursed and squared rubble and ashlar with plain tile and slate roofs. Of the church, all that remains is the very beautiful west end, circa 1270, decorated with exceptionally fine carved panels, tracery and ornament. The front is symmetrical, although there was in fact no south aisle. Many of the claustral buildings survive intact in the adjoining mansion which is used as a museum.
More information : (Name centred SK 54175376) Newstead Abbey (GT). (1)

Newstead - Priory of Augustinian Cannons General History:
Priory founded c. 1163, (a) dissolved 1539. Remains of importance. The Priory was probably for at least 13 monks with a number of lay brothers. It was surrendered by the prior and eleven canons who were pensioned. (2)

The Priory of St. Mary of Newstead in Sherwood. Austin canons founded by Henry II, c. 1170. (Detailed history of house, priors and seal given). (3)

Founded between 1163 and 1174. Pipe Roll for 1163-4 mentions `the canons of Sherwood'. (Gives 14th c. cartulary in full and other MSS. (4)

Authorities giving foundation dates between 1163 and 1174. Many point out that this was not an Abbey as its name would suggest. All are summarised by Auths. 2 and 3. (5-10)

Secular History:
The Priory was granted on 13.5.1540 to Sir John Byron. The Byrons remained in possession for nearly 300 years. In 1643 the barony was created. In 1798 the poet, Lord Byron, inherited Newstead and in his poem `Don Juan' elaborately describes the Priory. In 1817 he sold it to Col. Wildman who began the work of restoration. In 1860 it was sold to Mr. Webb who continued the work. (11)

Newstead changed hands more than once in the 19th c. In 1931, Sir Julian Cahn presented the estate to Nottingham City who have added collections of Byroniana and restored the grounds. (12)

Detailed history of post-Dissolution owners. (13)

Architectural History: The Priory. Of the original 12th c. priory there are considerable remains - in the inner walls of the claustral buildings. A doorway in the western end of a passage between the east and south ranges is of this period. In the course of the 13th c. the east and south ranges were entirely rebuilt. The church was enlarged and the west range was commenced. In the 15th c. this range was again altered and the cloister walks entirely reconstructed. (14)

Architectural History: The Mansion. Alterations to the priory were made here and there in 16th and 17th centuries - on the east and north fronts. Some overmantels are also of this period, one being dated 1556. The 5th Lord Byron landscaped the grounds. During the
19th c. the present house was evolved in a series of rebuildings and plans of 1829-30 at the Abbey show the extent of the alterations. The Sussex Tower was added - in Norman style with reused Norman fragments - and the south-west wing is probably of this period. (15)

The foundation was in or before 1163 when the canons are mentioned in the Pipe Roll. The monastic establishment was always a Priory but the name Newstead Abbey appears as early as the 15th c. though there is no suggestion that the canons used the name. The Building retains the name Newstead Abbey. (a) No further identification of the architectural remains of the Priory has been made since the pre-1939 work. The later house is a mainly early 19th c. reconstruction of the 16th-17th c. building but there is little documentary evidence of this earlier building. (16)

Newstead Abbey is a large 19th c. house incorporating the remains of the early Md priory and the post-Dissolution house. Externally there is little of the monastic buildings visible other than the west front of the church, possibly the 15th c. porch on the west front and small fragments of architectural debris about the grounds. The major extant parts of the priory are only visible from within the house or cloister. Post-dissolution work visible externally includes a few large windows, gables and a 17th c. porch on the SE wing. Much of the more elaborate interior decoration is also of this 16th-17th c. period. There are no certain remains of out-buildings or walling to the Priory. (17)

No change. (18)

Site of Abbey church, Newstead. Listed under Ecclesiastical Buildings. (19)

Newstead Abbey, Grade I (full account in Listed Buildings volume). (20)

In Lord Byron's tenure, illus, plans. (21)

Conversion to private residence, illus. (22)

Listed. (23)

History of the priory and description of the remains. (24)

Sources :
Source Number : 1
Source : Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date)
Source details : OS 6" 1920
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 2
Source : Medieval religious houses in England and Wales
Source details :
Page(s) : 147
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 10
Source : Monastic sites from the air
Source details :
Page(s) : 202
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 11
Source : Transactions of the Thoroton Society of Nottinghamshire
Source details :
Page(s) : 111
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 23, 1919
Source Number : 12
Source : Nottinghamshire
Source details :
Page(s) : 116
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 13
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : Newstead Abbey. 1945 (Nottinghamshire Corporation Guide)
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 14
Source : Transactions of the Thoroton Society of Nottinghamshire
Source details : A H Thompson
Page(s) : 33
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 23, 1919
Source Number : 16
Source : Field Investigators Comments
Source details : F1 WCW 21-MAY-59
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 16a
Source : Oral information, correspondence (not archived) or staff comments
Source details : Oral: Mr F C Tighe, BA, FLA, Curator and Chief Libn. Nott'm Pub. Lib.
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 16b
Source : Oral information, correspondence (not archived) or staff comments
Source details : Oral: Miss Walker, MA Archivist. Nott'm Pub. Liby.
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 17
Source : Field Investigators Comments
Source details : F2 WCW 25-MAY-59
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 18
Source : Field Investigators Comments
Source details : F3 BHS 18-DEC-74
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 2a
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : Dickinson J. 1950. The Origins of the Austin Canons, 296
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 19
Source : List of ancient monuments in England: Volume 1, Northern England; Volume 2, Southern England; Volume 3, East Anglia and the Midlands
Source details :
Page(s) : 77
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 3
Source Number : 20
Source : List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest
Source details : District of Gedling. 27th April 1987
Page(s) : 64, 69
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 21
Source : Transactions of the Thoroton Society of Nottinghamshire
Source details : R Coope
Page(s) : 133-54
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 91, 1987
Source Number : 22
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : Howard M. 1987. The Early Tudor Country House: Architecture and Politics 1490-1550. 152-6
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 23
Source : Register of parks and gardens of special historic interest in England
Source details : Nottinghamshire
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : Part 33
Source Number : 24
Source : World Wide Web page
Source details : Newstead Abbey, [Accessed 19-MAY-2004]
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 24
Source : Sanctity and Scandal. The Medieval Religious Houses of Nottinghamshire
Source details :
Page(s) : 65-9
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 3
Source : The Victoria history of the county of Nottingham : volume two
Source details :
Page(s) : 180
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 4
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : Thoroton Record Society
Page(s) : 1
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 8, 1940
Source Number : 5
Source : Transactions of the Leicestershire Archaeological and Historical Society
Source details :
Page(s) : 398
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 1, 1862-6
Source Number : 6
Source : Journal of the British Archaeological Association
Source details :
Page(s) : 14
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 9, 1854
Source Number : 7
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : Newstead Abbey, 1945 (Nottinghamshire Corporation Guide)
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 8
Source : Nottinghamshire
Source details :
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 9
Source : Transactions of the Thoroton Society of Nottinghamshire
Source details :
Page(s) : 33
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 23, 1929

Monument Types:
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : Founded c 1170
Monument End Date : 1180
Monument Start Date : 1160
Monument Type : Augustinian Monastery, Priory, Church
Evidence : Extant Building, Ruined Building
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : Rebuilt late C13
Monument End Date : 1300
Monument Start Date : 1267
Monument Type : Augustinian Monastery, Priory
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : C15 alterations
Monument End Date : 1500
Monument Start Date : 1401
Monument Type : Augustinian Monastery, Priory, Dormitory, Monastic Dwelling, Great Hall
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : Dissolved 1539
Monument End Date : 1539
Monument Start Date : 1539
Monument Type : Augustinian Monastery, Priory
Evidence : Extant Building, Ruined Building
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Converted into house
Monument End Date : 1540
Monument Start Date : 1540
Monument Type : Country House
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Remodelled circa 1800C19
Monument End Date : 1810
Monument Start Date : 1790
Monument Type : Country House
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Extended and restored in 1819
Monument End Date : 1819
Monument Start Date : 1819
Monument Type : Country House
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Altered c1862
Monument End Date : 1872
Monument Start Date : 1852
Monument Type : Country House
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : 20th Century
Display Date : Change of use from 1931
Monument End Date : 1931
Monument Start Date : 1931
Monument Type : Museum
Evidence : Extant Building

Components and Objects:
Related Records from other datasets:
External Cross Reference Source : Listed Building List Entry Legacy Uid
External Cross Reference Number : 425355
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : NBR Index Number
External Cross Reference Number : 111795
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : Unified Designation System UID
External Cross Reference Number : 1265325
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : Unified Designation System UID
External Cross Reference Number : 1006378
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : Scheduled Monument Legacy (County No.)
External Cross Reference Number : NT 162
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : National Monuments Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : SK 55 SW 2
External Cross Reference Notes :

Related Warden Records :
Associated Monuments : 318034
Relationship type : General association
Associated Monuments : 1142910
Relationship type :
Associated Monuments : 541457
Relationship type :

Related Activities :
Associated Activities : NEWSTEAD ABBEY
Activity type : EXCAVATION
Start Date : 1957-01-01
End Date : 1964-12-31
Associated Activities : FIELD OBSERVATION ON SK 55 SW 2
Activity type : FIELD OBSERVATION (VISUAL ASSESSMENT)
Start Date : 1959-05-21
End Date : 1959-05-21
Associated Activities : FIELD OBSERVATION ON SK 55 SW 2
Activity type : FIELD OBSERVATION (VISUAL ASSESSMENT)
Start Date : 1959-05-25
End Date : 1959-05-25
Associated Activities : FIELD OBSERVATION ON SK 55 SW 2
Activity type : FIELD OBSERVATION (VISUAL ASSESSMENT)
Start Date : 1974-12-18
End Date : 1974-12-18
Associated Activities : NEWSTEAD ABBEY
Activity type : EXCAVATION
Start Date : 1975-01-01
End Date : 1975-12-31