HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Historic England research records Result
Historic England research recordsPrintable version | About Historic England research records

Historic England Research Records

Beeston Lodge

Hob Uid: 318199
Location :
Non Civil Parish
Grid Ref : SK5745063520
Summary : Lodge, believed to have originated as the gatehouse of Clipstone Peel, built in 1317, there are no visible remains of the structure
More information : (SK 5706 6378) Beeston Lodge (NR) (Remains of). (1)

The sole extant remains at this site consist of a pile of broken
masonry containing no architectural dating material; the whole
is thickly overgrown by grass and bushes and is situated on an
island surrounded by plough. Isolated fragments of roofing tile
and building stone can be seen in the field edge. No local
information was gained regarding the history of this building,
and extensive research at the County Record Office was also
negative. See photographs.
Published survey (25" 1958) revised. (2)

SK 571637. Beeston Lodge ceased to exist by the mid - 19th
century as indicated by maps of that period, but is shown,
although not named, on Senior's Map of 1630. The lodge may have
originated as the gatehouse of Clipstone Peel. From the later
14th century, references are made to a lodge in Clipstone Park
(SK 56 SE 5), and these may refer to Beeston Lodge; by that time
most parks had a lodge. The close proximity of the King's Manor
(SK 66 SW 1), would make it unnecessary to build one at Clipstone
The lodge may possibly have derived its name from one of its
tenants. (3). Scheduled under Other Secular Sites and Buildings.

(Centred SK 57456352) A peel, a sophisticated wooden palisade
with external ditch and gates, was constructed in the months
prior to January 1317, forming an extension to the western end
of the park (see plan). The enclosure included a gatehouse, hall,
royal chamber, a chapel, bakehouse, grange, and animal sheds.

However, in January 1328, Robert de Clipstone was ordered to
remove all except the gatehouse, and have them re-erected in the
manor. There was 198 acres of arable, as well as pasture for
which the river was diverted. (3)

Sources :
Source Number : 1
Source :
Source details : OS 25" 1958
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 2
Source :
Source details : F1 FDC 16-MAY-74
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 3
Source :
Source details : T Thoroton Soc 80 1976 35-46 Figs 1-2 (D Crook)
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 4
Source :
Source details : DOE (IAM) Anc Mons Eng 3 1978 78
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :

Monument Types:
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : Medieval
Monument End Date : 1540
Monument Start Date : 1066
Monument Type : Gatehouse, Lodge
Evidence : Documentary Evidence

Components and Objects:
Related Records from other datasets:
External Cross Reference Source : Scheduled Monument Legacy (County No.)
External Cross Reference Number : NT 118
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : National Monuments Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : SK 56 SE 1
External Cross Reference Notes :

Related Warden Records :
Related Activities :
Associated Activities :
Start Date : 1974-05-16
End Date : 1974-05-16