HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Historic England research records Result
Historic England research recordsPrintable version | About Historic England research records

Historic England Research Records

Thorpe Salvin Hall

Hob Uid: 318659
Location :
Rotherham
Thorpe Salvin
Grid Ref : SK5213081290
Summary : Ruins of the mansion rebuilt in the mid-late 16th century for Hercy Sandford. In addition to the gatehouse the three-storey, nine-bay symmetrical south wall of the courtyard-plan mansion survives, the wall having round corner turrets, projections for external stacks and a central porch. The bases of the rear corner turrets survive, that on the right is linked by a section of plinth wall. The ruins are of limestone rubble.
More information : [SK 52138129] Hall [G.T.] (Remains of) [T.I.] (1)

"Thorpe Salvin Hall... Hessie Sandford, the last of that family,
built this... manor house of dressed stone about 1570, on an
almost square plan with circular turrets at the angles. Only
the front now remains, the rest of the building having been
demolished, the walls (nearly level with the ground) indicating
the former plan of the building. The chimney stacks on the
front wall are unusual, and the gatehouse, so near the Hall, is
rather uncommon. It is now used as a pigeon-cote". (2)

Thorpe Salvin Hall was rebuilt by Henry Sandford "with the
three courts, according to.. the usual plan of the houses...
erected in the early part of the reign of Elizabeth". (3)

The remains of Thorpe Salvin Hall comprise the S. front and
the small detached gatehouse both constructed of rubble masonry
with stone dressings.

The S. front, with central porch and circular angle-towers, is
of three storeys and survives to the height of the wall-plate.
It contains a number of fine mullioned and transomed windows
complete with hood-moulds. There are also two large
chimney breasts one of which is surmounted by four stacks of
later date, probably 18th C. The E. and W. walls of the house,
reduced to footings only, terminate in angle-towers at the NW
and NE corners, the bases only remain.
The gatehouse is of two storeys with crow-stepped gables: the
roof is tiled. Over the central doorway, containing a
probably original wooden door, is a much-weathered coat of
arms, and on a quoin to the right a small cross is carved.
Above the door is a three-light mullioned window over which three
escutcheons are visible.
A.M. survey carried out: see GP's A0/59/255/6 - S. front from SW;
A0/59/255/7 - from NE. (4)

Description correct, and condition unchanged. (5)

II* Ruins of Thorpe Salvin Hall and gatehouse (Included
in Interim List as Old hall Gatehouse and remains)

Impressive, well known, but fast deteriorating remains of
handsome Elizabethan mansion. (6)

Sources :
Source Number : 1
Source : List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest
Source details : District of Rotherham, 15/10/1986
Page(s) : 57
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 1
Source : Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date)
Source details : OS 6" 1913
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 2
Source : The old halls and manor houses of Yorkshire, with some other examples of houses built before the year 1700
Source details : Plate XLIV
Page(s) : 53
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 3
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : 'South Yorks' Volume 1, J Hunter, 1828
Page(s) : 310
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 4
Source : Field Investigators Comments
Source details : F1 AC 20-OCT-1959
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 5
Source : Field Investigators Comments
Source details : F2 RWE 07-JAN-65
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 6
Source : List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest
Source details : DOE(HHR) Kiveton Park R.D, Yorks W.R, Jul 1964, 7.
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :

Monument Types:
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : rebuilt mid-late C16th
Monument End Date : 1599
Monument Start Date : 1533
Monument Type : Country House, Gatehouse
Evidence : Ruined Building

Components and Objects:
Related Records from other datasets:
External Cross Reference Source : NBR Index Number
External Cross Reference Number : 60058
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : Listed Building List Entry Legacy Uid
External Cross Reference Number : 335839
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : National Monuments Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : SK 58 SW 3
External Cross Reference Notes :

Related Warden Records :
Related Activities :
Associated Activities : Primary, FIELD OBSERVATION ON SK 58 SW 3
Activity type : FIELD OBSERVATION (VISUAL ASSESSMENT)
Start Date : 1965-01-07
End Date : 1965-01-07