HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Historic England research records Result
Historic England research recordsPrintable version | About Historic England research records

Historic England Research Records

Moat Hall

Hob Uid: 319025
Location :
Doncaster
Conisbrough Parks
Grid Ref : SK5345094340
Summary : Medieval moated site, consisting of a platform (upon which stands a cottage thought to be a possible converted dovecot) and the remains of some 16th century cottages, now demolished.
More information : [SK 5344 9437] Moat Hall [G.T. Moat [G.T.] (Remains of). (1)

The Moat Hall, Braithwell, now completely ruined, `... is surrounded by a moat still visible on three sides and in wet weather partially filled with water.' In the 16th c. the house was converted into a private residence. It was again converted into two cottages, in the 19th c. These were recently demolished.
The remains [1942] include:- the 13th c. arch of the main entrance, in the S. wall; the remains of 16th c. window sills and mullions, in situ; a carved stone which was part of a traceried window. (a)
An arcade of `... three arches of an earlier type than the main entrance. These arches were dismantled in 1939 and are now erected in the garden of Mr. H. Brown of Maltby.'
Recent investigations, by various persons, have proved inconclusive. One suggestion is that the Moat Hall `... had once been used as a hospital for the Abbey of Roche ... ,' the west side being the dwelling-place and the east side used as a chapel. "Moat Cottage" near to the Holywell Lane was obviously once a dovecot and a large barn with pantiled roof occupies the eastern portion of the
ground. (2)

The remains of this moat are still quite discernible, consisting of shallow slopes approximately 4 ft. high. (3)

Not listed as `Grange' in Md. Relig. Houses (Knowles & Hadcock). (4)

The remains of Moat Hall comprise portions of three exterior walls, and fragments of the fourth. Also included are the foundations of the lean-to scullery shown in the plan photographed on A0/59/199/7, and portions of internal walls.
All walling is built of stone, roughly faced and coursed, and is 0.6m. thick. A portion of the south wall contains a two centred arch (referred to by authority (2)) and stands to a height of 3m. The remainder have been levelled to a uniform height of 1m. Set into the S wall adjoining the W side of the arch is the remains of the 16th c. mullion described by Authy 2, but no obvious remains of the tracery could be located. Much debris is scattered in and around the structure.
The corner of the extension to the E as shown in A0/59/199/7 is not visible on the ground.
Of the three arches ascribed to the possession of Mr Bown [not Brown] of Maltby, one remains erected in his garden. One other is reconstructed in the garden wall of Lambcote Grange. [SK 59 SW 10]
See G.P. A0/60/6/8 taken from the S.E.
The moat is well defined on all but the south side. Here it is traceable as a shallow depression of average depth 0.8m. The average depth elsewhere is 1.3m. It is water filled in the western arm, and NE corner.
Moat Cottage at SK 5343 9433 is a renovated, two gabled and two storeyed structure built of faced coursed rubble. Several large apertures in the north and east walls have been blocked. It appears lofty for the average cottage; but the impression gained is that it was constructed as a dwelling. Mr Sawyer is the present tenant.
The barn at SK 5343 9434 is a roofless ruin. Only the north gable, and fragments of the east and west walls remain standing. These are built of roughly dressed and coursed stone, and are 0.6m thick.
A 25" A.M. survey of the moat and ruin has been made. (5)

Survey and description of 29.1.60 unchanged. (6)

Should be site of capital messuage called Le Priorie, leased in 1427 to John Vyncent of Braithwell by prior of Lewes. John was to rebuild `a hall with a room at the west end 32 ft by 18 ft broad'. Prior retained right for monastic servants or himself to stay for three weeks in year if necessary. (Lewes had estates in vill). Priory kept two tithe barns, but two others as well as Kylnehouse, malthouse and stone well were to be leased with the property. (7)

Survey of ruined timber framed hall. (8)

Remains of Moat Hall. (Formerly listed as Moat Hall). Ruins of medieval house. c.1430 for John Vyncent of Braithwell. Grade 2. (9)

SK 535 943. Moated site. A rectangular moated site of about 1.25
acres, the N and W sides more distinct than the S and E which have
been filled in. The `Moated Cottage' which stands on the site is
reputed to be a converted dovecot, but it is very large for this.
Much of the island is taken up with private lawns and gardens.
On the N side of the moated platform there stand the foundations of a
set of 16th century cottages demolished in the 1940's, but which were
then found to incorporate portions of earlier buildings, including a
13th century archway still in situ. The foundations of these
cottages (and the medieval masonry they may contain) still survive as
a garden feature. There are distinct traces of other portions of
this building-range underneath the garden lawn. (10)

Part of the moat described by authorities (1-10) is visible as earthworks on air photographs.
(11)

Sources :
Source Number : 1
Source : Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date)
Source details : OS 6" 1923-48
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 2
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : Trans Hunter Archaeol Soc Vol 5 1938-43 p 233-6
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 9a
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : Hey D 1979 The Making of South Yorkshire (78-9)
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 9b
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : Ryder P F 1982 Medieval Buildings of Yorkshire (84)
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 10
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : English Heritage, Scheduling Amendment, 14-JUN-1978
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 11
Source : Oblique aerial photograph reference number
Source details : NMR SK 5394/1 (DNR 1284/31) 16-Nov-1978
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 2a
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : Mr T Salvin (plan & illust.)
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 3
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : S S Reviser Ao 6" 27.2.51
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 4
Source : Field Investigators Comments
Source details : F1 ASP 06-OCT-59
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 5
Source : Field Investigators Comments
Source details : F2 RWE 29-JAN-60
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 6
Source : Field Investigators Comments
Source details : F3 RWE 05-JAN-65
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 7
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : Le Patourel H E J 1973 The Moated Sites of Yorkshire, Soc for Medieval Archaeol Monograph No.5 122-3
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 8
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : CBA Grp 4 Register for 1980 5
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 9
Source : List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest
Source details : DOE (Listed Buildings) Borough of Doncaster, S Yorks 26 Nov 1987 4
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :

Monument Types:
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : Medieval
Monument End Date : 1540
Monument Start Date : 1066
Monument Type : Moat, House, Dovecote
Evidence : Earthwork, Building, Conjectural Evidence

Components and Objects:
Related Records from other datasets:
External Cross Reference Source : Scheduled Monument Legacy (County No.)
External Cross Reference Number : SY 1239
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : Scheduled Monument Legacy (National No.)
External Cross Reference Number : 13234
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : National Monuments Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : SK 59 SW 3
External Cross Reference Notes :

Related Warden Records :
Related Activities :
Associated Activities : Primary, FIELD OBSERVATION ON SK 59 SW 3
Activity type : FIELD OBSERVATION (VISUAL ASSESSMENT)
Start Date : 1959-10-06
End Date : 1959-10-06
Associated Activities : Primary, FIELD OBSERVATION ON SK 59 SW 3
Activity type : FIELD OBSERVATION (VISUAL ASSESSMENT)
Start Date : 1960-01-29
End Date : 1960-01-29
Associated Activities : Primary, FIELD OBSERVATION ON SK 59 SW 3
Activity type : FIELD OBSERVATION (VISUAL ASSESSMENT)
Start Date : 1965-01-05
End Date : 1965-01-05
Associated Activities : Primary, EH: THE MAGNESIAN LIMESTONE IN SOUTH AND WEST YORKSHIRE NMP
Activity type : AERIAL PHOTOGRAPH INTERPRETATION
Start Date : 2005-01-01
End Date : 2006-12-31