HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Historic England research records Result
Historic England research recordsPrintable version | About Historic England research records

Historic England Research Records

Dalby Hospitallers Preceptory

Hob Uid: 319583
Location :
Leicestershire
Melton
Broughton and Old Dalby
Grid Ref : SK6758023330
Summary : Preceptory of the Knights Hospitallers extant by 1206, dissolved 1540. Surviving as buried building foundations and earthworks. Associated stock enclosures surviving as poor earthworks
More information : The preceptory of the Knights Hospitallers at Old Dalby was founded early in Henry II's reign and dissolved in 1540. (No RAF APs available). (1)

Not located. (2)

SK 6758 2333. Preceptory at Old Dalby.
The below ground building remains are represented by earthworks standing to a maximum of 0.5m high. On the south-east side is a square enclosure, with an internal dimension of about 20m. There is a long mound to the north of the enclosure. To the west of this are the earthwork remains of a rectangular building 70m long and approximately 15m wide and divided in two places at the north end. A late 18th century writer recorded the location of the preceptory. The function of the various buildings has not yet been ascertained.
The preceptory of the Knights Templars (sic) was founded in the early years of Henry II and was in use until the suppression of the order in 1312. Ten years later the site was granted to the Knights Hospitallers, whose order was dissolved in 1540. A 13th century pilgrim flask from the abbey of Burton upon Trent and a late 15th century pilgrim badge from Walsingham were found on the site in 1980.
The earthwork remains of stock enclosures surround the preceptory but do not survive well and are not included in the scheduling.
Scheduled (RSM) No 17097. (3)

Not recorded as a Templars Preceptory by either VCH or Knowles and Hadcock. VCH states that Dalby was a possession of the Hospitallers from at least 1206. (4,5)

Sources :
Source Number : 1
Source : Medieval religious houses : England and Wales
Source details :
Page(s) : 242
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 2
Source : Field Investigators Comments
Source details : B H Seaman/06-APR-1971/Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Field Investigator
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 3
Source : Scheduled Monument Notification
Source details : English Heritage SAM Amendment Leicestershire 05-FEB-1993
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 4
Source : Medieval religious houses in England and Wales
Source details :
Page(s) : 303-4
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 5
Source : The Victoria history of the county of Leicester, volume two
Source details :
Page(s) : 32-3
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :

Monument Types:
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : Medieval
Monument End Date : 1540
Monument Start Date : 1066
Monument Type : Hospitallers Preceptory, Stock Enclosure
Evidence : Earthwork

Components and Objects:
Related Records from other datasets:
External Cross Reference Source : Scheduled Monument Legacy (National No.)
External Cross Reference Number : 17097
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : National Monuments Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : SK 62 SE 3
External Cross Reference Notes :

Related Warden Records :
Related Activities :
Associated Activities : Primary, FIELD OBSERVATION ON SK 62 SE 3
Activity type : FIELD OBSERVATION (VISUAL ASSESSMENT)
Start Date : 1971-04-06
End Date : 1971-04-06