HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Historic England research records Result
Historic England research recordsPrintable version | About Historic England research records

Historic England Research Records

Onneley Chapel

Hob Uid: 74501
Location :
Staffordshire
Newcastle-under-Lyme
Madeley
Grid Ref : SJ7508044100
Summary : A pilgrimage chapel recorded in 1549 as two miles from the parish church. The Knights Templar Preceptory of Keele (Staffordshire) held land in Onneley from 1185 granted by Henry II and valued at 2s, with later lands donated by William Dodde. In the later 14th century the Chapel of the Virgin is documented at Onneley, by which time it was in the hands of the Hospitaller Order. The Knights Templar lands were passed to the Hospitallers following the supression of the Templar Order in 1308. The Hospitallers would also have been supressed by 1549. The pilgrimage chapel site may therefore be that mentioned in the late 14th century. It is probable that this was the site of an earlier Templar church given that it was one of the earliest royal grants to the order in this region, and because the Hospitallers soon began leasing the old Keele estates from their centre at Halston in Shropshire. A small staff of chaplains based at Keele were continuing to maintain the chapel in the late 14th century when it is first recorded. The chapel was not recorded in the ecclesiatical return of 1563 although this is not proof that it was no longer extant as many chapels were left off the list, and the chapel at Onneley was not attached to the parish church. Onneley Chapel was recorded on Saxton's map in the later 16th century, and again as Onneley Church in John Speed's re-drawing in 1610.The site itself is represented by a distinct raised platform in a field opposite a second field called Chapel Field off of a lane running north from Onneley to Betley.
More information : (Area SJ 75154390) Onneley Chapel. (1)

"Onneley Chapel. Not mentioned in the 1563 return. Forsett
reported on 5 June 1549 that this chapel was two miles distant
from the parish church and was no chapel of ease, but a pilgrimage
chapel". (2)

"Onnely ... Site of a Pilgrimage Chapel. The tithe map records
a chapel field on the lane running north from Onneley to Betley.
Opposite, and on the other side of the lane is a raised site
perhaps two feet above the level of the rest of the field and
the cultivation furrows end abruptly at the site. No doubt a
building stood here. The area is roughly 28 by 25 yards". (3)

(SJ 75084410) Possible site located on APs. (4)

Raised platform with measurements conforming to those given by
Authority 3. Possible site of Chapel. (5)

No change. Surveyed at 1:2500. (6)

Documentary evidence from Parish Records, Madeley Register of baptisms, possibly suggests there was a chapel in 1696. "Baptism on 19 Jul 1696 of Roger son of William & Alice Whittakers of Onneley chappel, born 29 Jun 1696" (9)

Sources :
Source Number : 1
Source : Annotated Record Map
Source details : 2" Drawing No 329 1831
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 2
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : "Collections for a History of Staffs" William Salt Archaeological Society 1915 184 (W N Landor)
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 2a
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : Treasury of Receipt in the Court of Exchequer-Misc Book in PRO No 259 231
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 3
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : Transactions of the Old Stafford Society 1949-50 13 (S A H Burne)
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 4
Source : Vertical aerial photograph reference number
Source details : RAF CPE/UK/2010 2047-8
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 5
Source : Field Investigators Comments
Source details : F1 CFW 28-JAN-58
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 6
Source : Field Investigators Comments
Source details : F2 ASP 22-NOV-74
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 7
Source : North Staffordshire journal of field studies
Source details : Robin Studd. 1982/5. 'A Templar Colony in North Satffordshire: Keele before the Sneyds'.
Page(s) : Apr-16
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 22
Source Number : 8
Source : Victoria County History of Staffordshire
Source details : 'The Preceptory of the Knights Templar, Keele'
Page(s) : 267-8
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 3
Source Number : 9
Source : Oral information, correspondence (not archived) or staff comments
Source details : Email correspondence from Mr George Platt [08-NOV-2012]
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :

Monument Types:
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date :
Monument End Date : 1308
Monument Start Date : 1185
Monument Type : Templars Church
Evidence : Conjectural Evidence
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date :
Monument End Date : 1399
Monument Start Date : 1350
Monument Type : Hospitallers Church
Evidence : Documentary Evidence
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Dissolved circa 1549
Monument End Date : 1549
Monument Start Date : 1549
Monument Type : Chapel
Evidence : Earthwork, Documentary Evidence

Components and Objects:
Related Records from other datasets:
External Cross Reference Source : National Monuments Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : SJ 74 SE 2
External Cross Reference Notes :

Related Warden Records :
Associated Monuments : 76005
Relationship type : General association

Related Activities :
Associated Activities : Primary, FIELD OBSERVATION ON SJ 74 SE 2
Activity type : FIELD OBSERVATION (VISUAL ASSESSMENT)
Start Date : 1958-01-28
End Date : 1958-01-28
Associated Activities : Primary, FIELD OBSERVATION ON SJ 74 SE 2
Activity type : FIELD OBSERVATION (VISUAL ASSESSMENT)
Start Date : 1974-11-22
End Date : 1974-11-22