HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Historic England research records Result
Historic England research recordsPrintable version | About Historic England research records

Historic England Research Records

Southwell Minster

Hob Uid: 322435
Location :
Nottinghamshire
Newark and Sherwood
Southwell
Grid Ref : SK7016753802
Summary : Former minster and collegiate church founded 956 AD. One of only six collegiate churches to escape Dissolution in Henry VIII's reign, but it was dissolved in 1548, only to be re-instated in 1557. Its Collegiate functions were finally ended in 1841 after which, in 1888 it became a cathedral. The present church dates from the 12th century with mainly 13th century and later features. Plan of aisled nave and west towers built in 1120-1250, the choir, its aisles, and the east transept chapels were built between 1233-60, and the north-east octagonal Chapter House was added between 1290-1300. The plan also includes a crossing tower and north porch. The south-west tower, nave and crossing tower were re-roofed following a fire in 1711-4. The western spires were removed by Richard Ingleman in 1801. In 1803 William Wilkins Snr re-roofed the chapter house and the west towers were repaired in 1816. Ewan Christian reinstated the west tower spires and the chapterhouse roof, and renewed the roofs of the nave and transept in 1880. A vallum was dug around the minster in the Anarchy, and was strong enough to permit a spirited defence in 1142.
More information : A secular college existed from c 956 to 1548 at St Mary's Southwell (SK 70165380). The present church has an outstanding Norman Nave and Crossing, with an Early English Choir. Now known as St Mary's Minster, it assumed cathedral status in 1888. (1-3)

Claims of a tessellated pavement in the Crossing (see plan) being Roman are dismissed by Daniels. The pavement is in poor condition, and is more in sympathy with the church construction than the nearby Roman finds at SK 70285374. (4)

The above noted tessellated pavement is a medieval mosaic. Southwell Minster is an active cathedral. (5)

The Minster Church of St Mary the Virgin. Grade `A'. (6)

Full history of the minster. (7)

Listed with full description. Minster church and attached chapter house. Nave, aisles and west towers c1120-1250, on the site of an Anglo-Saxon church. Choir, aisles and east transept chapels c1233-1260. Chapter house 1290-1300. Grade I. (8)

A vallum was dug around the minster in the Anarchy, and was strong enough to permit a spirited defence in 1142. (9)

Notes on the influence of the master mason of Southwell Minster on the Romanesque churches of Nottinghamshire. (10)

Sources :
Source Number : 1
Source : Medieval religious houses : England and Wales
Source details :
Page(s) : 439,483
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 2
Source : Journal of the British Archaeological Association
Source details :
Page(s) : 73-83
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 39, 1933
Source Number : 3
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : Notes on the Cathedrals (Southwell) undated (WH Fairbairns)
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 4
Source : Transactions of the Thoroton Society of Nottinghamshire
Source details : CM Daniels
Page(s) : 15
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 70, 1966
Source Number : 5
Source : Field Investigators Comments
Source details : F1 FDC 16-OCT-74
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 6
Source : List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest
Source details : DOE (HHR) Southwell RD June 1962
Page(s) : 26
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 7
Source : The Victoria history of the county of Nottingham : volume two
Source details :
Page(s) : 152-61
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 8
Source : List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest
Source details : District of Newark and Sherwood, 20/05/1992
Page(s) : 33-6
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 9
Source : Castellarium anglicanum : an index and bibliography of the castles in England, Wales and the Islands. Volume II : Norfolk-Yorkshire and the islands
Source details :
Page(s) : 382
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 10
Source : Transactions of the Thoroton Society of Nottinghamshire
Source details : Coffman P and Thurlby M
Page(s) : 57-81
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 104, 2000

Monument Types:
Monument Period Name : Early Medieval
Display Date : Founded 956
Monument End Date : 956
Monument Start Date : 956
Monument Type : Church, Minster
Evidence : Documentary Evidence
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : Built 1120-1250
Monument End Date : 1250
Monument Start Date : 1120
Monument Type : College Of Secular Priests, Collegiate Church
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Chapter house re-roofed 1803
Monument End Date : 1803
Monument Start Date : 1803
Monument Type : Chapter House
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : 1816 repairs
Monument End Date : 1816
Monument Start Date : 1816
Monument Type : College Of Secular Priests
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : 1880 alterations
Monument End Date : 1880
Monument Start Date : 1880
Monument Type : Cathedral, Chapter House
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : 1888 change of use
Monument End Date : 1888
Monument Start Date : 1888
Monument Type : Cathedral
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : Fortified 1142
Monument End Date : 1142
Monument Start Date : 1142
Monument Type : Fortified Church
Evidence : Documentary Evidence
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : 1233-1260 addition
Monument End Date : 1260
Monument Start Date : 1233
Monument Type : Collegiate Church, College Of Secular Priests
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : Chapter House added
Monument End Date : 1300
Monument Start Date : 1290
Monument Type : Collegiate Church, Chapter House
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : 1548-57 change of use
Monument End Date : 1557
Monument Start Date : 1548
Monument Type : Parish Church
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Dissolved 1548
Monument End Date : 1548
Monument Start Date : 1548
Monument Type : College Of Secular Priests, Collegiate Church
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Reinstated 1557-1841
Monument End Date : 1841
Monument Start Date : 1557
Monument Type : Collegiate Church, College Of Secular Priests
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Re-roofed 1711-4
Monument End Date : 1714
Monument Start Date : 1711
Monument Type : College Of Secular Priests
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : 1801 alterations
Monument End Date : 1801
Monument Start Date : 1801
Monument Type : College Of Secular Priests
Evidence : Extant Building

Components and Objects:
Related Records from other datasets:
External Cross Reference Source : NBR Index Number
External Cross Reference Number : 104269
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : Listed Building List Entry Legacy Uid
External Cross Reference Number : 242334
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : Unified Designation System UID
External Cross Reference Number : 1374853
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : National Monuments Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : SK 75 SW 12
External Cross Reference Notes :

Related Warden Records :
Related Activities :
Associated Activities : Primary, UNIVERSITY OF NOTTINGHAM DEPARTMENT OF ARCHITECTURE
Activity type : ARCHITECTURAL SURVEY
Start Date :
End Date :
Associated Activities : Primary, SOUTHWELL MINSTER GRAMMAR SCHOOL
Activity type : WATCHING BRIEF
Start Date : 1971-01-01
End Date : 1971-12-31
Associated Activities : Primary, FIELD OBSERVATION ON SK 75 SW 12
Activity type : FIELD OBSERVATION (VISUAL ASSESSMENT)
Start Date : 1974-10-16
End Date : 1974-10-16
Associated Activities : Primary, MINSTER CHAMBERS
Activity type : EVALUATION
Start Date : 1994-01-01
End Date : 1994-12-31
Associated Activities : Primary, MINSTER CHAMBERS, CHURCH STREET
Activity type : EXCAVATION
Start Date : 1995-01-01
End Date : 1996-12-31
Associated Activities : Primary, INVESTIGATION BY RCHME/EH ARCHITECTURAL SURVEY
Activity type : ARCHITECTURAL SURVEY
Start Date : 1995-11-14
End Date : 1995-11-14