HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Historic England research records Result
Historic England research recordsPrintable version | About Historic England research records

Historic England Research Records

The Jews House

Hob Uid: 326716
Location :
Lincolnshire
Lincoln
Lincoln
Grid Ref : SK9762771564
Summary : A house built circa 1170 situated on the western side of The Strait, at the junction with Danes Terrace. It is built of limestone rubble and ashlar with a modern double pitch pantile roof with brick chimney stacks at each gable. The building is two stories high with an attic range lit by a single segmental headed dormer window. The road facade has a shop entrance flanked by large casement windows to the ground floor left and a similar shop entrance with a casement window to the right. A 12th century door is located on the centre right in an arched head with stiff leaf capitals but the shafts are missing. Rising from the doorway is a shallow chimney breast that terminates at the eaves. To the left of the chimney breast is an 18th century sash window with glazing bars. On the left and right of the upper floor are two Norman arched head windows. The window on the left retains some stone panel and part of a central shaft and both window openings have had 18th century sash windows inserted. Documentary evidence suggests that this house was owned by a wealthy Jewess: Belaset, a daughter of Solomon of Wallingford. She was hanged in 1290 for coin clipping. The house was converted to a restaurant and beauty salon during the 20th century.
More information : Jew's House, 15, the Strait, Lincoln, is probably the best known Norman house in England. It was a first-floor hall built 1170-80, with walls of ashlar in large blocks of yellow oolite, Modern additions are attics and roof, shop-fronts, cellar, and wings to the north. (1-2)

'Jew's House' - as described above and situated at SK 97637156.
Good condition: used as business. premises.
See GP's AO/62/47/1: from E.
2: close-up of doorway decoration. (3)

No 15 The Jew's House (White's Restaurant and Face Facts) House,
originally with a first floor hall and shops below, now a restaurant
and beauty salon. Built c1170 with 18th and 19th century
alterations. Grade I. (4)

A house built circa 1170 is built of limestone rubble and ashlar with a modern double pitch pantile roof with brick chimney stacks at each gable. The building is two stories high with an attic range lit by a single segmental headed dormer window. The road facade has a shop entrance flanked by large casement windows to the ground floor left and a similar shop entrance with a casement window to the right. A 12th century door is located on the centre right in an arched head with stiff leaf capitals but the shafts are missing. Rising from the doorway is a shallow chimney breast that terminates at the eaves. To the left of the chimney breast is an 18th century sash window with glazing bars. On the left and right of the upper floor are two Norman arched head windows. The window on the left retains some stone panel and part of a central shaft and both window openings have had 18th century sash windows inserted. Documentary evidence suggests that this house was owned by a wealthy Jewess: Belaset, a daughter of Solomon of Wallingford. She was hanged in 1290 for coin clipping. The house was converted to a restaurant and beauty salon during the 20th century. The building is Grade I Listed. (5-6)

Sources :
Source Number : 1
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : Archaeol J 103 194 pp160-1, 162 illus plan (M. Wood)
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 2
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : Archaeol J 92 1936 pp194-6 illus plan (M. Wood)
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 3
Source : Field Investigators Comments
Source details : F1 AC 18-JUL-62
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 4
Source : List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest
Source details : DOE Listed Buildings City of Lincoln Lincs 8 July 1991 p187
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 5
Source : List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest
Source details : District of Listing: Lincoln. 08-Oct-1953
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 6
Source : Jewish heritage in England : an architectural guide
Source details :
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :

Monument Types:
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : c1170
Monument End Date : 1180
Monument Start Date : 1160
Monument Type : House
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Altered C18
Monument End Date : 1799
Monument Start Date : 1700
Monument Type : House
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Altered C19
Monument End Date : 1900
Monument Start Date : 1801
Monument Type : House
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : 20th Century
Display Date : Altered C20
Monument End Date : 1999
Monument Start Date : 1901
Monument Type : Restaurant, Beauty Salon
Evidence : Extant Building

Components and Objects:
Related Records from other datasets:
External Cross Reference Source : Listed Building List Entry Legacy Uid
External Cross Reference Number : 486271
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : NBR Index Number
External Cross Reference Number : 106753
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : National Monuments Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : SK 97 SE 87
External Cross Reference Notes :

Related Warden Records :
Associated Monuments : 1513674
Relationship type : General association
Associated Monuments : 326685
Relationship type : General association

Related Activities :
Associated Activities : FIELD OBSERVATION ON SK 97 SE 87
Activity type : FIELD OBSERVATION (VISUAL ASSESSMENT)
Start Date : 1962-07-18
End Date : 1962-07-18
Associated Activities : THE JEW'S HOUSE, STEEP HILL
Activity type : DENDROCHRONOLOGICAL SURVEY
Start Date : 1994-01-01
End Date : 1994-12-31
Associated Activities : INVESTIGATION BY RCHME/EH ARCHITECTURAL SURVEY
Activity type : ARCHITECTURAL SURVEY
Start Date : 1995-11-14
End Date : 1995-11-14