HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Historic England research records Result
Historic England research recordsPrintable version | About Historic England research records

Historic England Research Records

Pinnock

Hob Uid: 327735
Location :
Gloucestershire
Cotswold
Temple Guiting
Grid Ref : SP0754028150
Summary : Pinnock deserted Medieval settlement. The site comprises an assortment of hollow ways, grass covered building foundations, house platforms and croft boundaries which are visible as earthworks on aerial photographs. The site extends over an area that measures 340m long by 125m wide and is orientated WNW / ESE up a coombe. The stone foundations of a long narrow building located on higher ground within the site were initially interpreted as a possible tithe barn, but are probably the remains of one of two possible sheepcotes that may post-date the desertion of the Medieval settlement. Two small roughly oval quarries have subsequently been dug into the site.
More information : SP 074281. Pinnock DMV. (1)

Centred SP07542815. Grass covered house platforms and associated
crofts extend for 250.0 m along the steep sides of a small E-W
valley, through which runs a partially disused trackway, to the N
of Pinnock Farm.

The scooped platforms, about ten in mumber, are cut back into the
valleyside at depths ranging from 0.5 m to 1.5 m. No stonework is
visible. Some platforms on the N side appear to have access ways
to the rig and furrow above. At SP 07612809 is the 0.4 m high
foundation wall of a five-bay tithe barn (?) which is cut through
at the W end by a terrace and hollow-way.

Surveyed at 1:2500. (2)

SP 074 281 Pinnock listed in a review of deserted Medieval Villages in Gloucestershire. (3)

Pinnock deserted Medieval settlement, as referred to above (1-3), is visible as earthworks on aerial photographs. The site extends over an area that is centred at SP 0754 2815, measures 340m long by 125m wide and is orientated WNW / ESE up a coombe. It comprises an assortment of hollow ways, grass covered building foundations, house platforms and croft boundaries.

Several straight, sinuous or fragmented linear banks extend for a maximum of 53m up the northern side of the coombe to define the boundaries at least seven crofts, within which are situated a range of amorphous scoops and built-up platforms towards the bottom of the slope, that were probably house platforms. The crofts measure between 29m and 46m wide and the banks that define them measure 4m wide. At the western side of the settlement a linear bank, which extends between SP 0739 2821 and SP 0751 2822, may define the back of the crofts and the boundary of the settlement.

Two hollow ways extend in opposite curves northwards down into the coombe, between SP 0759 2809 and SP 0763 2812 and between SP 0757 2807 and SP 0755 2814, to where they are probably overlain by a Modern trackway. The easternmost hollow way passes through a long narrow rectangular building interpreted by source 2 as a possible tithe barn. This building is centred at SP 0761 2809 and is defined by linear banks (grass covered stone wall foundations) which measure just under 2m wide and are damaged in places, including by the course of the hollow way. The walls surround a rectangular area measuring 41m long by 5m wide and orientated WNW / ESE. The building is more probably a sheepcote. A second possible sheepcote of similar dimensions, which is less well preserved, is situated parallel and 27m to its south. The sheepcote(s) may post-date the desertion of the settlement.

Two trapezoidal probable building platforms are located on the higher ground to the west of the sheepcote(s) and may represent contemporary associated buildings, such as accommodation for the shepherd. The largest is centred at SP 0757 2809 and appears to have been truncated along its western side by the easternmost hollow way (described above) which probably post-dates the buildings. The platform measures 22m long by up to 9m wide. The second trapezoidal probable building platform is centred at SP 0754 2808 and measures 18m long by 8m wide and appears to be partially enclosed within a yard to the north, together with two amorphous probable building platforms situated at SP 0755 2808 and SP 0753 2809.

The earthworks suggest that the hollow ways post-date the sheepcote(s) and other buildings located in the southern half of the site, which in turn may date to after the crofts of the Medieval settlement were deserted. Two roughly oval quarries have also subsequently been dug into the site, at SP 0754 2812 and SP 0764 28047. They each measure 9m wide and between 12m and 14m long. (4-6)

Sources :
Source Number : 1
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : DMV Res Gp AR 10 1962 Appx A
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 2
Source : Field Investigators Comments
Source details : F1 JWS 05-SEP-73
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 3
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : Glevensis 15 1981 28 (M Aston & L Viner)
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 4
Source : Oblique aerial photograph reference number
Source details : CUCAP (AWO18-19) 20-JAN-1969
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 5
Source : Oblique aerial photograph reference number
Source details : CUCAP (ACQ9-10) 17-APR-1961
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 6
Source : Medieval archaeology : journal of the Society for Medieval Archaeology
Source details : "Sheepcotes: Evidence for Medieval Sheepfarming" by C Dyer, Site No 3 in list p.140
Page(s) : 136-64
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 39 (1995)

Monument Types:
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : Medieval
Monument End Date : 1540
Monument Start Date : 1066
Monument Type : Deserted Settlement, Sheep House, Hollow Way, House Platform, Croft, Quarry
Evidence : Earthwork
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Post Medieval
Monument End Date : 1901
Monument Start Date : 1540
Monument Type : Hollow Way, Quarry
Evidence : Earthwork

Components and Objects:
Related Records from other datasets:
External Cross Reference Source : SMR Number (Gloucestershire)
External Cross Reference Number : 2203
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : SMR Number (Gloucestershire)
External Cross Reference Number : 17957
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : National Monuments Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : SP 02 NE 9
External Cross Reference Notes :

Related Warden Records :
Related Activities :
Associated Activities : FIELD OBSERVATION ON SP 02 NE 9
Activity type : FIELD OBSERVATION (VISUAL ASSESSMENT)
Start Date : 1973-09-05
End Date : 1973-09-05
Associated Activities : ENGLISH HERITAGE: GLOUCESTERSHIRE NMP (NORTH COTSWOLDS AND FOREST OF DEAN)
Activity type : AERIAL PHOTOGRAPH INTERPRETATION
Start Date : 2002-01-01
End Date : 2006-12-31