HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Historic England research records Result
Historic England research recordsPrintable version | About Historic England research records

Historic England Research Records

Ragley Hall

Hob Uid: 328507
Location :
Warwickshire
Stratford-on-Avon
Arrow with Weethley
Grid Ref : SP0720055530
Summary : Country house built 1680-1683 with alterations of 1750-56, 1778-83 and 1871-73. It has a double pile plan with corner pavilions. On the site of an earlier house which was granted a licence to crenellate in 1381.
More information : (SP 07205553) Ragley Hall (NAT) (1)

Ragley Hall, a stone built mansion of two storeys and basement with a slate roof, was built 1679-83 by the architect Robert Hooke. It was repaired and internally altered by James Gibbs in 1750 and the central Ionic portico, with four columns and pediment at full height was added by James Wyatt before 1794.

Grade 1 (2)


2/8 Ragley Hall
01/02/67 Grade I

Large country house. 1680-83, by 'Mr. Holbert' (William Hurlbert), with considerable modifications by Robert Hooke, for the Earl of Conway. Interior: c.1750-56 by James Gibbs. Alterations and some interiors by James Wyatt 1778-1783. Alterations by William Tasker 1871-73. Lias with white oolite dressings. Hipped roofs and flats of slate, lead and concrete tiles, with stone chimneys. Quoins, string courses, modillion cornice and balustrade at roof level. Double-pile plan with corner pavilions. 2 storey and raised basement, 3:3:3:3:3 bays. 3-bay giant portico by Wyatt of 4 unfluted Ionic columns and pediment, and 2-armed staircase with curved ends of rusticated stone with wrought iron balustrade and lanterns. Entrance: 3 round-arched French doors in moulded stone surrounds. Late C18 sash windows: 18-pane to piano nobile, 15-pane to second floor. Basement windows in Gibbs surrounds, 1st and 2nd floor windows have shouldered architraves, 1st floor with bolection moulding also. Garden front similar but without portico or stairs. 3-bay centre projects slightly and has attic by Wyatt of 3 round windows. All other windows straight-headed. 1st floor has balustraded balcony by Tasker between the pavilions, resting on Tuscan columns. 2 big panelled stacks. North and south fronts: 3-bay pavilions and deeply recessed centre of 2 pairs of high arched windows on the 1st floor. Interior: Great Hall of 2 storeys, on grand scale. Baroque treatment of coupled pilasters and high coved ceiling with penetrations, and busts and vases on brackets, but with lavish Rococo plastework attributed to Vassali (Buildings of England). Several rooms have mid C18 carved and moulded doorcases. Study to left of Hall has Rococo plaster ceiling and frieze and late C18 chimney piece. Library on south front simple crested bookcases and carved overdoors of swags in the manner of Grinling Gibbons. Blue room to right of Hall has Rococo plasterwork, chimney piece and overmantel relief of bacchic children. Small Dining Room has Rococo ceiling with relief of Leda and the Swan, and lively carved Rocoao overmantel attributed to Thomas H. Kendall (Guide book). Great Dining Room on north front by Wyatt, partially redecorated by Tasker, with restrained decoration of panels etc. North and south staircases in balancing positions: Grand early C18 style dog-leg stairs with quarter landings and Greek key motif stringing; by Tasker. North staircase of oak; underside has inlaid panels and rosettes. South staircase painted, and has late C20 mural by Graham Rust, completed 1982. Red Saloon in centre of garden front, Mauve Drawing Room and Ante Room by Wyatt have delicate neoclassical decoration and fine pannelled doors. Green Drawing Room again with Rococo ceiling and late C18 chimney piece. Vaulted basement. After Lord Conway's death in 1683 the house remained unfinished until the 1750's The Great Hall is considered to be one of the finest mid C18 interiors. The grounds were
landscaped by Capability Brown in the 1750s. (4-7)

It is on the site of an earlier house which received a pardon for having crenellated its gatehouse 1381-5, and was granted licence to crenellate the rest of the building. (8)

Sources :
Source Number : 1
Source : Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date)
Source details : OS 1:10 000 1978
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 2
Source : List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest
Source details : Alcester Rural District, October 1968
Page(s) : 18
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 4
Source : List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest
Source details : District of Stratford-on-Avon, December 1984.
Page(s) : 05-Aug
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 5
Source : The Victoria history of the county of Warwick: volume three: Barlichway Hundred
Source details :
Page(s) : 27
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 6
Source : Warwickshire
Source details :
Page(s) : 380-382
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 7
Source : The Archaeological Journal
Source details :
Page(s) : 230-233
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 128, 1971
Source Number : 8
Source : Register of parks and gardens of special historic interest in England
Source details : Warwickshire
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : Part 42
Source Number : 9
Source : Castellarium anglicanum : an index and bibliography of the castles in England, Wales and the Islands. Volume II : Norfolk-Yorkshire and the islands
Source details :
Page(s) : 485,488
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :

Monument Types:
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : 1381-5
Monument End Date : 1385
Monument Start Date : 1381
Monument Type : Fortified House, Gatehouse
Evidence : Documentary Evidence
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Constructed 1680-83
Monument End Date : 1683
Monument Start Date : 1680
Monument Type : Country House
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Altered 1750-56
Monument End Date : 1756
Monument Start Date : 1750
Monument Type : Country House
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Altered 1778-83
Monument End Date : 1783
Monument Start Date : 1778
Monument Type : Country House
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Altered 1871-73
Monument End Date : 1873
Monument Start Date : 1871
Monument Type : Country House
Evidence : Extant Building

Components and Objects:
Related Records from other datasets:
External Cross Reference Source : Listed Building List Entry Legacy Uid
External Cross Reference Number : 305020
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : National Monuments Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : SP 05 NE 28
External Cross Reference Notes :

Related Warden Records :
Associated Monuments : 1461137
Relationship type : General association
Associated Monuments : 328514
Relationship type :
Associated Monuments : 545956
Relationship type :
Associated Monuments : 328468
Relationship type :

Related Activities :
Associated Activities : Primary, WEST OF THE UPPER COURT, RAGLEY HALL
Activity type : WATCHING BRIEF
Start Date : 2003-01-01
End Date : 2003-12-31
Associated Activities : Primary, RAGLEY HALL CASCADES
Activity type : WATCHING BRIEF
Start Date : 2017-01-01
End Date : 2018-12-31