HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Historic England research records Result
Historic England research recordsPrintable version | About Historic England research records

Historic England Research Records

Lower Harford

Hob Uid: 330493
Location :
Gloucestershire
Cotswold
Naunton
Grid Ref : SP1300022450
Summary : A deserted Medieval settlement on the lower slopes of a north-east facing hillside. The settlement includes earthworks indicating the sites of houses and other village features. On the higher ground are scarps which are levelled into the hillside to provide building platforms along the length of the settlement. Other occupational areas are concentrated at the southern end of the settlement where there is a hollow way running north east-south west which has six house platforms flanking it. On the lower ground there are water management features which take advantage of overspill from the river. These water management features follow the line of the river along the valley bottom and include, at the north end of the settlement, two channels which drain water from the higher slopes into the flat valley bottom, where there is a water meadow. At the south end is a pond 16 metres square with water channels running into it. Documentary evidence indicates that the village had seven inhabitants in 1086, but only two in 1327. Scheduled.
More information : (SP 130224) The DMV of Lower Harford derived its name from
the ford beside which it lay, and the tradition that it was the
earliest village in the parish is supported by the name
Naunton - "new farmstead". The Mylen Weg, "Mill Way" of a charter
of AD 743 is probably the track running from Stanborough Lane to
Lower Harford and is thought to imply the existence of a mill
there. There was a mill further down the river (at SP 138223) in
AD963. In 1086 the village supported a large number of ploughs
but was largely deserted by 1341 and by 1381 was no longer
distinguished from Naunton. (1-6)

Situated on the West bank of the river Windrush, and centred at
SP 13052240, the DMV of Lower Harford consists of some eleven
building platforms and associated enclosures linked by a system
of hollow ways. The building foundations are in the main
vestigial, though in places do reach a height of 0.4m. Extensive
ridge and furrow can be seen running along both sides of the
river, extending outwards from the S end of the village and
centred at SP 13202215. There is no ground evidence for a ?
water-mill in area SP 138233, where the Windrush adopts a sinuous
and sluggish course.

A probably modern pond bay, now overgrown and disused can
be seen at SP 13682213.

Surveyed at 1:2500. (7)

SP 130 225. Lower Harford listed in a review of deserted medieval villages in Gloucestershire. (8)

"The Rev. F W Potto-Hicks tells me that Harford by Bourton, SP 130 225, was formerly a village." (9)

"In the early 14th Century at Aylworth [SP 12 SW 3] and Harford many tenants left their holdings and left them vacant and uncultivated." (10)

The deserted Medieval settlement of Lower Harford referred to above (1-11) is visible as earthworks on aerial photographs taken in 1964. The site extends over an area that measures circa 285m long by up to 130m wide and is orientated roughly north-west / south-east. It includes a number of house platforms that are concentrated in the southern half of the site and flank a hollow way that extends roughly WNW / ESE, between SP 1309 2231 and SP 1305 2242. Possible house platforms are also clustered around SP 1294 2249. The hollow way continues for 76m to the north-west to meet one of several perpendicular bank and / or ditch features that may define plots within the settlement. A water meadow bed is situated to the north of the settlement, around SP 1299 2254. (12)

Sources :
Source Number : 1
Source : A history of the county of Gloucester, volume 6
Source details :
Page(s) : 77, 82, 84
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 2
Source : Medieval Village Research Group annual report
Source details :
Page(s) : 42
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 13 (1965)
Source Number : 11
Source : Scheduled Monument Notification
Source details : 24-Jul-98
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 12
Source : Oblique aerial photograph reference number
Source details : CUCAP (AIN38) 08-APR-1964
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 3
Source : English Place-Name Society : the survey of English place-names [county volumes]
Source details :
Page(s) : 199
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 38 (1964)
Source Number : 4
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : Grundy GB. 1935. Saxon Charters of Gloucestershire
Page(s) : 175, 178
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 5
Source : Aerial photograph
Source details : (J K St Joseph AIN 38)
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 6
Source : Aerial photograph
Source details : (RAF 106G/UK/1347 1.4.46 7058-9)
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 7
Source : Field Investigators Comments
Source details : F1 GB 25-NOV-74
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 8
Source : Glevensis : Gloucestershire and District Archaeological Research Group review
Source details :
Page(s) : 27
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 15, 1981
Source Number : 9
Source : Lost villages of England
Source details :
Page(s) : 351
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 10
Source : Archaeology in Gloucestershire from the earliest hunters to the industrial age : essays dedicated to Helen O'Neil and the late Elsie Clifford
Source details :
Page(s) : 287
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :

Monument Types:
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : Medieval
Monument End Date : 1540
Monument Start Date : 1066
Monument Type : Deserted Settlement, Building Platform, House Platform, Hollow Way, Water Channel, Pond
Evidence : Earthwork

Components and Objects:
Related Records from other datasets:
External Cross Reference Source : Scheduled Monument Legacy (National No.)
External Cross Reference Number : 28853
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : Scheduled Monument Legacy (County No.)
External Cross Reference Number : GC 177
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : SMR Number (Gloucestershire)
External Cross Reference Number : 94
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : National Monuments Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : SP 12 SW 9
External Cross Reference Notes :

Related Warden Records :
Related Activities :
Associated Activities : FIELD OBSERVATION ON SP 12 SW 9
Activity type : FIELD OBSERVATION (VISUAL ASSESSMENT)
Start Date : 1974-11-25
End Date : 1974-11-25
Associated Activities : ENGLISH HERITAGE: GLOUCESTERSHIRE NMP (NORTH COTSWOLDS AND FOREST OF DEAN)
Activity type : AERIAL PHOTOGRAPH INTERPRETATION
Start Date : 2002-01-01
End Date : 2006-12-31