HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Historic England research records Result
Historic England research recordsPrintable version | About Historic England research records

Historic England Research Records

Hillingdon House

Hob Uid: 1431086
Location :
Greater London Authority
Hillingdon
Non Civil Parish
Grid Ref : TQ0653483801
Summary : A house built in 1717 for the Duke of Schomberg as a hunting lodge and subsequently rebuilt, especially after a fire of 1844. The architect of the rebuilding was George Mair. The House has an H-plan. It is stuccoed. The main parts of the building are recessed two storey fronts with single story infill sections. The mansard roofs with dormers have been altered since the house was built. The entrance features a bowed Doric portico flanked by Venetian windows. The interior is in a simple 19th century style. During World War One the building was used from 1915-1917 as a military hospital for Canadian soldiers. In 1917 it was taken over by the Royal Flying Corp's Armament School. After World War One it remained in the control of the Royal Air Force and formed part of RAF Uxbridge, the military base and operations centre that was particularly important in the Battle of Britain. According to one source this building was used as the officers' mess, however according to another, the officers' mess was a separate building altogether. Before RAF Uxbridge closed in 2010 Hillingdon House was said to acommodate the Civil Aviation Authority's Airprox Board. A mixed-use development is currently planned for the site of RAF Uxbridge.
More information : Hillingdon House, Vine Lane, Hillingdon, Uxbridge. A Grade II Listed Building. C18 origin but stuccoed and otherwise altered especially after a fire in 1844 when the architect was George Mair. General form is 'H' shaped with single storey infill to recessed fronts. Main parts of 2 storeys with 3 to spire. Altered mansards roofs with dormers. Entrance front with bowed Doric portico
and Venetian windows at either side with lunettes above. Quoins to rear which is otherwise plain. Simple, mid C19 interior. Listing NGR: TQ0652483779. (1)

Hillingdon House was built in 1717 for the Duke of Schomberg as a hunting lodge. It remianed in private hands until 1915 when it was aquired by the government. It became a convalescent hospital for Canadian prisoners and later an Armament School. The base that grew up around the house was an important operations centre in the Battle of Britain. (2)

Hillingdon House: the manor house of west Hillingdon, built in 1717 for the Duke of Schomberg. Rebuilt after a fire in 1844. The plain replacement of the original building is now the officers' mess of an RAF station. (3)

According to this source, the officers' mess was a separate building to Hillingdon House. (4)

On 31 March 2010, RAF Uxbridge formally closed as a military base. Please see source for further details. (5)

This website contains details of the mixed-use development planned for the former RAF Uxbridge site. See source for details. (6)

According to feedback received via the PastScape website, the final use for Hillingdon House before RAF Uxbridge closed was as the location for the Civil Aviation Authority's Airprox Board. (7)

Hillingdon house was the original headquarters of RAF Bomber Command in 1936, and it was the headquarters of No. 11 Group during the Battle of Britain (8)

Sources :
Source Number : 1
Source : List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest
Source details : District of Hillingdon, 05-JUN-1984
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 2
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : Brooks RJ, 2002: "Thames Valley Airfields in the Second World War", Countryside books, p28.
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 3
Source : London, 3 : north west
Source details :
Page(s) : 336
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 4
Source : World Wide Web page
Source details : Wikipedia. (2011). RAF Uxbridge [accessed 31-AUG-2011]
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 5
Source : World Wide Web page
Source details : Squadron Leader R J Willis. (2010). Closure of RAF Uxbridge [accessed 31-AUG-2011]
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 6
Source : World Wide Web page
Source details : VSM Estates Limited. (2011). RAF Uxbridge [accessed 31-AUG-2011]
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 7
Source : Oral information, correspondence (not archived) or staff comments
Source details : PastScape feedback received 28-AUG-2011
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 8
Source : Oral information, correspondence (not archived) or staff comments
Source details : email correspondence from Mr Harrison 22-May-2012
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :

Monument Types:
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Built 1717
Monument End Date : 1717
Monument Start Date : 1717
Monument Type : House, Hunting Lodge
Evidence : Demolished Building
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Rebuilt 1844
Monument End Date : 1844
Monument Start Date : 1844
Monument Type : House
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : 20th Century
Display Date : Use change 1915-1917
Monument End Date : 1917
Monument Start Date : 1915
Monument Type : Military Hospital
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : 20th Century
Display Date : Aviation links from 1917
Monument End Date : 1917
Monument Start Date : 1917
Monument Type : Military Base
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : 21st Century
Display Date : Military base closed 2010
Monument End Date : 2010
Monument Start Date : 2010
Monument Type : Military Base
Evidence : Extant Building

Components and Objects:
Related Records from other datasets:
External Cross Reference Source : Listed Building List Entry Legacy Uid
External Cross Reference Number : 203049
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : National Monuments Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : TQ 08 SE 60
External Cross Reference Notes :

Related Warden Records :
Related Activities :
Associated Activities : Primary, INVESTIGATION BY RCHME/EH ARCHITECTURAL SURVEY
Activity type : ARCHITECTURAL SURVEY
Start Date : 1995-11-14
End Date : 1995-11-14