HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Historic England research records Result
Historic England research recordsPrintable version | About Historic England research records

Historic England Research Records

Ham Court

Hob Uid: 334520
Location :
Oxfordshire
West Oxfordshire
Bampton
Grid Ref : SP3096003060
Summary : The gatehouse and curtain wall of an early 14th century castle built for Aymer de Valence, Earl of Pembroke, who obtained a licence to crenellate in 1315. The castle was adapted into a dwelling in the 17th century, and was extended in the 18th and 19th centuries. A documentary source of the 17th century describes the castle as being quadrangular in plan and moated, with towers at the corners and gatehouses to the east and west, and possibly to the north and south. The west gatehouse and the lodging range adjoining it to the north were converted into a farmhouse before 1660 and the remainder of the castle was subsequently demolished. The upper floor of the gatehouse was dismantled some time before 1821, leaving a two storey structure. The farmhouse was extended before 1876 by the addition of a two storey extension to the south, behind the curtain wall. The early 14th century castle may have succeeded an earlier house on the site, built circa 1256.
More information : (SP 30960306) Ham Court (NAT) and remains of (NAT) Castle (NR)

(SP 30870317) Lady Well (NR)

(SP 30880318 - 30920306) Moat (NR) (1)

Ham Court incorporates the gate-house of the castle built by Aymer de Valence in 1315. On the east and west fronts are the great entrance arches, now blocked, and on the west side are buttresses and the remains of a battlemented parapet. (2)

North of Ham Court, the gateway of the demolished castle, is a raised court 500ft by 200ft bounded on the east by a stream. The ditch remains on the west side, extending southwards to the gate-house. (3)

The remains of the gatehouse are as depicted on the OS 25" with 16/17 century alterations and 19th c additions. The frontage faces SW. There are no other remains of the castle. See GPs.

Little survives of the moat or ditch which enclosed the court except a scarp along the W side and a shallow dry ditch from SP 31000314 to SP 31060318 along the S side.

Lady Well in the NW corner of the moat is a hollow 1.5m square and 0.7m deep. It was formerly lined with stone blocks most of which have been thrown out and lie scattered in the vicinity. If it is medieval it must be late because of its position in the bottom of the now dry moat.

OS 1:2500 survey revised. (4)

Ham court. Gatehouse and part of curtain wall of early C14 castle built for Aymer de Valence, Earl of Pembroke, who obtained licence to crenellate 1315. Adapted to dwelling C17, with mid-late C19 extension. Listed grade II* ; see list for details. (5)

Formerly Bampton Castle. Described by Anthony Wood in the C17 as "a quadrangular building, moated, with towers at each corner and a gatehouse of tower like character on the West and East sides." (6)

A documentary source of the 17th century describes the castle as being quadrangular in plan and moated, with towers at the corners and gatehouses to the east and west, and possibly to the north and south. The west gatehouse and the lodging range adjoining it to the north were converted into a farmhouse before 1660 and the remainder of the castle was subsequently demolished. The upper floor of the gatehouse was dismantled some time before 1821, leaving a two storey structure. The farmhouse was extended before 1876 by the addition of a two storey extension to the south, behind the curtain wall. The early 14th century castle may have succeeded an earlier house on the site, built circa 1256. (7)

Listed by Cathcart King. (8)

More a fortified house than a castle, with the surviving gatehouse not of great strength. (9)

Sources :
Source Number : 1
Source : Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date)
Source details : OS 6" 1960
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 2
Source : List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest
Source details : MHLG (Witney R D June 1952, 4)
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 3
Source : The Victoria history of the County of Oxford: volume two
Source details : (W Potts)
Page(s) : 331
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 1907
Source Number : 4
Source : Field Investigators Comments
Source details : F1 NVQ 01-MAR-71
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 5
Source : List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest
Source details : DOE (HHR) Dist of West Oxon, 4 May 1989, 52
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 6
Source : Oxfordshire
Source details :
Page(s) : 433
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 1974
Source Number : 7
Source : A history of the County of Oxford, volume 13 : Bampton Hundred, part one
Source details :
Page(s) : 23-25
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 8
Source : Castellarium anglicanum : an index and bibliography of the castles in England, Wales and the Islands. Volume II : Norfolk-Yorkshire and the islands
Source details :
Page(s) : 385
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 9
Source : Country Life
Source details : 19-Jul-46
Page(s) : 121
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :

Monument Types:
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : c1256
Monument End Date : 1266
Monument Start Date : 1246
Monument Type : Manor House
Evidence : Documentary Evidence
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : Licenced 1315
Monument End Date : 1315
Monument Start Date : 1315
Monument Type : Castle, Fortified House, Gatehouse, Curtain Wall, Moat
Evidence : Documentary Evidence, Extant Building, Demolished Building, Structure, Earthwork
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Documented in C17
Monument End Date : 1699
Monument Start Date : 1600
Monument Type : Castle, Fortified House, Angle Tower, Gatehouse, Curtain Wall
Evidence : Documentary Evidence
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Pre 1660
Monument End Date : 1660
Monument Start Date : 1660
Monument Type : Farmhouse, Gatehouse, Curtain Wall
Evidence : Extant Building, Demolished Building, Structure
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Partly demolished pre 1821
Monument End Date : 1821
Monument Start Date : 1821
Monument Type : Farmhouse, Gatehouse
Evidence : Extant Building, Demolished Building
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Extended pre 1876
Monument End Date : 1876
Monument Start Date : 1876
Monument Type : Farmhouse
Evidence : Extant Building

Components and Objects:
Related Records from other datasets:
External Cross Reference Source : Listed Building List Entry Legacy Uid
External Cross Reference Number : 253414
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : National Monuments Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : SP 30 SW 2
External Cross Reference Notes :

Related Warden Records :
Related Activities :
Associated Activities : Primary, FIELD OBSERVATION ON SP 30 SW 2
Activity type : FIELD OBSERVATION (VISUAL ASSESSMENT)
Start Date : 1971-03-01
End Date : 1971-03-01
Associated Activities : Primary, LAND AT HAM COURT
Activity type : EVALUATION
Start Date : 2011-01-01
End Date : 2012-12-31
Associated Activities : Primary, LAND AT HAM COURT
Activity type : GEOPHYSICAL SURVEY
Start Date : 2011-01-01
End Date : 2011-12-31