HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Historic England research records Result
Historic England research recordsPrintable version | About Historic England research records

Historic England Research Records

Wykham Park

Hob Uid: 337038
Location :
Grid Ref : SP4408037830
Summary : House early 17th c. Chapel (site of)
More information : (SP 44083783) Wykham Park (NAT)
on site of Mansion (NR)

(SP 44083791) Chapel (NR) (Site of) Gate (NR)

10/7 Wykham Park (Tudor Hall School) Listed grade 2.

Date stones from the old house (and now preserved at the present
modern house) give 1614, 1616, 1617 and 1619. The only remaining partof the early 17th century house is a range to the north east of the
present early 19th century house. This 17th century range consits of
2 storeys ironstone ashlar with an offset base. Stone slate roof on
east and Welsh slate roof with modern dormers on west. Stone cope
with renewed finials to gables, but ancient kneelers remain. Renewed
stone stacks. Half H plan facing east. Some of the original 3- and
4-light stone mullion windows with square labels remain.

Probably at one time this range was ruinous, and gutted; it is now
fitted up with new work as living quarters. The partly renewed stone
gateway remains to south east of this range and shows strap-work and
an achievement of the quartered arms of Chamberlayne on the east; on
the west is a sundial. For history see Skelton; History of
Oxfordshire (1823), Banbury Hundred, p 6; Beesley A., History of
Banbury (1841) p 107 and 349.
The house was occupied in 1642 by Sir Thomas Chamberlayne, created a
baronet in 1642, who dies as High Sheriff in 1643.

The 17th century range, as it would have been originally in the
front, (see GP). The whole of the top of the gateway was
demolished in an accident about two years ago and has been
replaced by a modern facsimile, (see GP). Nothing remains of
the chapel. (3)

Sources :
Source Number : 1
Source :
Source details : OS 6" NSL 1955
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 2
Source :
Source details : DOE (HHR) Banbury Boro OPxon May 1968 2
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 3
Source :
Source details : F1 ANK 14-MAY-70
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :

Monument Types:
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Post Medieval
Monument End Date : 1901
Monument Start Date : 1540
Monument Type : Chapel, House
Evidence :

Components and Objects:
Related Records from other datasets:
External Cross Reference Source : National Monuments Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : SP 43 NW 4
External Cross Reference Notes :

Related Warden Records :
Related Activities :
Associated Activities :
Start Date : 1970-05-14
End Date : 1970-05-14