HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Historic England research records Result
Historic England research recordsPrintable version | About Historic England research records

Historic England Research Records

Hanwell Castle

Hob Uid: 337253
Location :
Oxfordshire
Cherwell
Hanwell
Grid Ref : SP4363543606
Summary : Castellated manor house begun c.1498. Most of the buildingwas demolished in the C18th and the remains used as a farmhouse. The south west tower and south wing survive from 1498. Five ornamental fishponds (probably C18th) are nearby.
More information : (SP 4363 4360) Hanwell Castle (NAT) Castle (NR) (Remains of)

(SP 440 436) Fish Ponds (NR) (1)

15th-16th century brickwork with stone quoins in SW tower which
is the one remaining of the original four. The castle was
originally quadrangular with a frontage of 109ft. There is Tudor
work on the N side including some stone mullioned windows.
The caste was partially pulled down c1777 and restored in
1903 with additions on the E. The original gate piers remain.
Visited by James I in 1605, 1612 and 1624. Grade II*. (2)

The surviving tower at SP 4362 4360 and brickwork forming what is now the N front are the sole external Tudor remains of "Hanwell
Castle". This was evidently a castelled manor house of
considerable pretensions and is of architectural interest. The S
side has been rebuilt or renovated and is of stone construction
as are the modern additions (with Tudor style windows), to the
E. See GP's.
From SP 4367 4370 to SP 4415 4353 a string of very large fishponds
occupies an area of about 13 acres. They are up to 2.0m deep,
all but one being dry. Their size precludes normal domestic use
and suggests that they were either partly ornamental or formed
a fish farm. OS 25" survey revised.

Hanwell "Castle", originally known as Hanwell House, a
two-storeyed building with decorative battlements and octagonal
towers, was begun c.1498 by William Cope, cofferer to Henry VII.
The W. front was symmetrical, with a gatehouse and an oriel
window. In the late 18th century the house was mostly demolished
and the remains turned into a farmhouse. Surviving features
of the original building include the SW tower and the S. wing
running back from it. (4)

Five fishponds at Hanwell Castle were investigated in 1981.
According to R. Plot (a) there were waterworks in a "House of
Diversion" built on an island in one of the fishponds, where
there was a ball tossed by a column of water and an artificial
shower. He was probably referring to the westernmost pond, which
is still full of water and has an island. The ponds must date
from at least the 18th century because nobody can remember them
being used as fishponds in the Victorian period. (5)

II Hanwell Castle

*C.15-16 brickwork with stone quoins in S.W. tower which is the
only one remaining of the original four; it is four-sided,
three-storeyed and battlemented with two octagonal turrets and
stone mullioned windows. The castle was originally quadrangular
with a frontage of 109 feet. There is Tudor work on the N. side,
including some stone mullioned windows. The castle was partially
pulled down circa 1777 (For previous state see plate in Skelton's
Antiquities of Oxfordsh. (1823). It was partially restored in
1903 with additions on the E. The original gate piers remain.

Interior. Contemporary stone fireplace with wide relieving arch
on ground floor; there is a passage way at the side of the
fireplace which has plain moulded stone doorways. In the tower
are contemporary stone fireplaces on the upper floors and a late
marble framed fireplace on the ground floor in the main part.
There is a newel stair in the N.W. turret. (Photographs and plans
in N.B.R.). History. Probably built by Sir Anthony Cope Kt. (d.
1550). James I visited in 1605, 1612 and 1624. Here also lived
Sir Anthony Cope (d. 1551; D.N.B.) and Sir Anthony Cope (d.
1614; D.N.B.), an early Puritan. Leland records the castle as
"a very pleasant and gallant house", in about 1540. (See A.
Beesley, Hist. of Banbury (1941), 191-2, 240). (6)

Sources :
Source Number : 1
Source : Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date)
Source details : OS 6" NSL
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 2
Source : List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest
Source details : MHLG 1899/11/A undated
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 3
Source : Field Investigators Comments
Source details : F1 NVQ 09-MAY-70
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 4
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : Bldgs of Eng - Oxon 1974 632 (J Sherwood & N Pevsner)
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 5
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : CBA Gp 9 N/L 12 1982 88-9 (J Steane)
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 5a
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : Natural Hist of Oxon 235-6 (R Plot)
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 6
Source : List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest
Source details : DOE (HHR) Banbury RD Oxon Undated 74 (Authority 6 is the full text of Authority 2)
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :

Monument Types:
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date :
Monument End Date :
Monument Start Date : 1498
Monument Type : Manor House
Evidence : Building
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date :
Monument End Date :
Monument Start Date : 1700
Monument Type : Farmhouse, Fishpond, Ornamental Pond
Evidence : Building, Earthwork

Components and Objects:
Related Records from other datasets:
External Cross Reference Source : National Monuments Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : SP 44 SW 6
External Cross Reference Notes :

Related Warden Records :
Related Activities :
Associated Activities : Primary, FIELD OBSERVATION ON SP 44 SW 6
Activity type : FIELD OBSERVATION (VISUAL ASSESSMENT)
Start Date : 1970-05-09
End Date : 1970-05-09
Associated Activities : Primary, HANWELL CASTLE: BOUNDARY WALL
Activity type : WATCHING BRIEF
Start Date : 2008-01-01
End Date : 2009-12-31
Associated Activities : Primary, HANWELL CASTLE (CABLE TRENCH)
Activity type : WATCHING BRIEF
Start Date : 2010-01-01
End Date : 2011-12-31