HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Historic England research records Result
Historic England research recordsPrintable version | About Historic England research records

Historic England Research Records

Monument Number 346120

Hob Uid: 346120
Location :
Rutland
Lyddington
Grid Ref : SP8754096950
Summary : The stone walls which surrounding the grounds of Lyddington Bede House. The walls on the north western and north eastern sides, and on the south eastern side bounding the churchyard, are principally of post-medieval date. Running south from the Bede House, between the Bede House garden and the churchyard, it overlies the remains of a medieval building which lay within the palace precinct. In the southern part of the Bede House garden, the present wall represents a rebuilding of part of the palace's precinct wall. Part excavation in this area has demonstrated that the first precint wall was constructed in the 14th century, rebuilt on a slightly different alignment in the 15th century and finally replaced by the present wall in the 18th century. At the southern corner of the precinct is a projecting stone tower of octagonal plan which dates largely from the late 15th century.
More information : SP 87549695. Watch Tower. (1)

The wall which encloses the garden west of Lyddington Bede House is
in great part old. At its south-west corner is a projecting
octagonal turret with pointed roof. The arms of Bishop Smith (of
Lincoln, 1496-1514) are above one of the windows. (2)

Both tower and wall show evidence of restoration. (3)

No change. (4)

The stone walls which surrounding the grounds of Lyddington Bede House. The walls on the north western and north eastern sides, and on the south eastern side bounding the churchyard, are principally of post-medieval date. Running south from the Bede House, between the Bede House garden and the churchyard, it overlies the remains of a medieval building which lay within the palace precinct. In the southern part of the Bede House garden, the present wall represents a rebuilding of part of the palace's precinct wall. Part excavation in this area has demonstrated that the first precint wall was constructed in the 14th century, rebuilt on a slightly different alignment in the 15th century and finally replaced by the present wall in the 18th century. At the southern corner of the precinct is a projecting stone tower of octagonal plan which dates largely from the late 15th century. (5)

See source for details. (6)

Sources :
Source Number : 1
Source : Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date)
Source details : Ordnance Survey 25" map 1904
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 2
Source : The Victoria history of the county of Rutland: volume two
Source details :
Page(s) : 191
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 3
Source : Field Investigators Comments
Source details : First OS Archaeology Field Investigator 08/08/1961
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 4
Source : Field Investigators Comments
Source details : Second OS Archaeology Field Investigator 22/07/I1971
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 5
Source : Scheduled Monument Notification
Source details : 18-Oct-96
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 6
Source : List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest
Source details : Rutland, 06-JUL-1987
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :

Monument Types:
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : C14
Monument End Date : 1400
Monument Start Date : 1301
Monument Type : Precinct Wall
Evidence : Sub Surface Deposit
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : Rebuilt in the C15
Monument End Date : 1500
Monument Start Date : 1401
Monument Type : Precinct Wall
Evidence : Sub Surface Deposit
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : Late C15
Monument End Date : 1500
Monument Start Date : 1467
Monument Type : Watch Tower
Evidence : Structure
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Replaced in the C18
Monument End Date : 1800
Monument Start Date : 1701
Monument Type : Wall
Evidence : Structure

Components and Objects:
Related Records from other datasets:
External Cross Reference Source : Scheduled Monument Legacy (County No.)
External Cross Reference Number : RT 4
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : Scheduled Monument Legacy (County No.)
External Cross Reference Number : LE 180
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : Scheduled Monument Legacy (National No.)
External Cross Reference Number : 17156
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : Listed Building List Entry Legacy Uid
External Cross Reference Number : 427653
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : National Monuments Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : SP 89 NE 2
External Cross Reference Notes :

Related Warden Records :
Related Activities :