HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Historic England research records Result
Historic England research recordsPrintable version | About Historic England research records

Historic England Research Records

St Peters Church

Hob Uid: 347843
Location :
Lincolnshire
South Kesteven
Stamford
Grid Ref : TF0272207027
Summary : The site of a Medieval church, with possible Saxon origins, that may have been raided, though not destroyed by the Lancastrian army in 1461 during the Wars of the Roses and completely demolished in 1560. The site of church now marked by a raised graveyard. The church is mentioned in Domesday Book and is likely to have been extant prior to 1066. It may originally have been encompassed within the site of Stamford Castle, and was reported as being in disrepair as early as the 1290s. In 1462 it was augemented by the addition of the defunct parish of St. Mary Bynnewerk, and was itself amalgamated into All Saint's after 1560. In 1828 part of the north side of the site was taken by road widening, and masonry from the site was probably taken as building material between the sixteenth and eighteenth centuries. In 1858 the north wall, parts of the floor and various finds were uncovered. The land still belongs to the Church.
More information : [TF 0273 0702] Church [GT] (Site of). (1)

[TF 0272 0702] Site of St Peters Church. (2)

The church of St. Peter was destroyed by the Lancastrian army in
1461 during the Wars of the Roses. (3)

No extant remains. Wall plaque reads "Site of St. Peter's Church
mentioned in Domesday. The church was pulled down in 1560 on the
amalgamation of the parish with All Saints". (4)

Full descriptions. Source 6 notes that the church was mentioned in Domesday and that the reference suggests there was already a pre-conquest church there. There is no standing fabric now extant. Although the church had probably initially enjoyed royal patronage it was indicated as being in disrepair in 1296. In the early 15th century it came into the hands of laymen, though the parish is mentioned still in 1556. (5-6)

TF 028070. Site of St. Peter's Church, scheduled. (7)

The site of the church is marked by a raised graveyard, 0.5 - 1.2m
above the adjacent ground surface. (8)

Documentary evidence. (9)

A study published in 2009 suggests that the level of destruction once attributed to the "sack" of Stamford in1461 during the Wars of the Roses has been exaggerated (10)

Sources :
Source Number : 1
Source : Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date)
Source details : OS 25" 1930
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 2
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : The Archaeological Journal 90 (1934) plan 381
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number :
Source : Scheduled Monument Notification
Source details : 28-Jul-86
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 3
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : J Brit Archaeol Ass 35 1879 167 (C Nevinson)
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 4
Source : Field Investigators Comments
Source details : F1 FDC 18-OCT-61
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 5
Source : An inventory of historical monuments: the town of Stamford
Source details : RCHME
Page(s) : 31
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 6
Source : The religious foundations of medieval Stamford [Lincolnshire]
Source details :
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 7
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : DOE (IAM) Anc Mons Eng 3 1978 61
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 8
Source : Field Investigators Comments
Source details : F2 WRW-N 07-SEP-88
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 9
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : Lincs Hist and Archaeol 21 1986 6-8 (R Roffe and C Mahany)
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 12
Source : Nottinghamshire Medieval Studies
Source details : A Rogers: 'Stamford in the Wars of the Roses'
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 53, 2009

Monument Types:
Monument Period Name : Early Medieval
Display Date :
Monument End Date : 1066
Monument Start Date : 410
Monument Type : Church
Evidence : Documentary Evidence, Sub Surface Deposit
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date :
Monument End Date : 1540
Monument Start Date : 1066
Monument Type : Church
Evidence : Documentary Evidence
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date :
Monument End Date : 1560
Monument Start Date : 1540
Monument Type : Church
Evidence : Documentary Evidence, Sub Surface Deposit

Components and Objects:
Related Records from other datasets:
External Cross Reference Source : SMR Number (Lincolnshire)
External Cross Reference Number : 260
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : Scheduled Monument Legacy (County No.)
External Cross Reference Number : LI 260
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : NBR Index Number
External Cross Reference Number : 51144
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : National Monuments Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : TF 00 NW 5
External Cross Reference Notes :

Related Warden Records :
Associated Monuments : 347832
Relationship type : General association
Associated Monuments : 347910
Relationship type : General association
Associated Monuments : 347851
Relationship type : General association

Related Activities :
Associated Activities : Primary, FIELD OBSERVATION ON TF 00 NW 5
Activity type : FIELD OBSERVATION (VISUAL ASSESSMENT)
Start Date : 1961-10-18
End Date : 1961-10-18
Associated Activities : Primary, FIELD OBSERVATION ON TF 00 NW 5
Activity type : FIELD OBSERVATION (VISUAL ASSESSMENT)
Start Date : 1988-09-07
End Date : 1988-09-07