HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Historic England research records Result
Historic England research recordsPrintable version | About Historic England research records

Historic England Research Records

Burghley House

Hob Uid: 347962
Location :
City of Peterborough
Barnack
Grid Ref : TF0483006070
Summary : Country house constructed 1555-87 on the site on an early 16th century house and a possible medieval chapel. The house comprises four wings, three stories high, situated around an open court. During the 1680s-90s much of the interior was redecorated and the south front was altered. The alterations to the interior include the decoration of the ballroom in 1689 by Laguerre and the addition of carvings by Grinling Gibbons. The south side of the house was altered by Capability Brown in 1763-5 and the courtyard was altered in the 1830s by Gandy-Deering.
More information : (TF 04830607) Burghley House (NR)
The Chapel (NR) (1)

Burghley House was built by William Cecil, Lord Burghley, Lord High
Treasurer to Queen Elizabeth I. It was begun about 1556 and completed
in 1587, although work stopped between 1564 and 1577.
It comprises four wings of three storeys around an open court and is
built of Barnack rag-stone. It is built on the site of an earlier
house of early 16th century date which occupied what is now the east
side of the inner court and "no doubt some of its walls still remain
incorporated in the present building" (3).
Authority 2 states that the remains of St Michael's Priory stand on
this site and that the chapel, hall and kitchen were incorporated in
the present house. This belief appears to have originated with
Charlton (4a) but is incorrect. St Michael's Priory was situated in
Stamford (TF 00 NW 22), but passed into the ownership of the Burghley
estate in 1540. Grade 1.

Evidence for a chapel at Burghley is slight, but one is mentioned by
Dugdale (5). It may have been associated with the deserted Medieval
village (see TF 00 NW 59). (2-6)

Burghley House is the country residence of Lord Burghley, Marquis of
Exeter. See ground photographs. (7)

No change. Open to the public. (8)

Burghley house. On the common boundary of the parishes of Barnack and
St Martin's Without and previously listed on 16 January 1956 under
the parish of Barnack only. Circa 1556 to 1587. One of the largest of
the Elizabethan mansions. An earlier house on the site with remains
of St Michael's Priory, incorporated in the present house. Came into
the possession of Richard Cecil between 1508 and 1528. Richard
Cecil's son, William Cecil, Lord Burghley, built the mansion. S side
altered by 'Capability' Brown circa 1763-5. Grade I. (See list for
details). (9)

Additional reference. (10)

Photo shows the Lion Bridge at Burghley House, Lincolnshire. (11)

Should be Cambridgeshire, not Lincolnshire. (12)


Sources :
Source Number : 1
Source : Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date)
Source details : OS 6" 1958
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 2
Source : List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest
Source details : Barnack RD Oct 1951
Page(s) : 04-May
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 10
Source : Bedfordshire and the County of Huntingdon and Peterborough
Source details :
Page(s) : 217-25
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 11
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : Symes M. 1993. A Glossary of Garden History, 24
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 12
Source : Oral information, correspondence (not archived) or staff comments
Source details : R4 SJM 17-Nov-1993
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 13
Source : Register of parks and gardens of special historic interest in England
Source details : Cambridgeshire
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : Part 5
Source Number : 3
Source : The Victoria history of the county of Northampton: volume two
Source details :
Page(s) : 523-26
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 4
Source : Journal of the British Archaeological Association
Source details :
Page(s) : 243-252
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 5, 1899
Source Number : 4a
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : Charlton, Rev W H. 1847. Guide to Burghley House, 161
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 5
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : Dugdale. 1846. Monasticon 4, 258-9
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 6
Source : Northamptonshire
Source details :
Page(s) : 122
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 7
Source : Field Investigators Comments
Source details : F1 BHS 18-NOV-61
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 8
Source : Field Investigators Comments
Source details : F2 FDC 29-JUL-69
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 9
Source : List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest
Source details : District of Peterborough, 24/02/1982
Page(s) : 191-2
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :

Monument Types:
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : Medieval
Monument End Date : 1540
Monument Start Date : 1066
Monument Type : Chapel
Evidence : Documentary Evidence
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Early C16 construction
Monument End Date : 1532
Monument Start Date : 1500
Monument Type : House
Evidence : Demolished Building
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Constructed 1555-87
Monument End Date : 1587
Monument Start Date : 1555
Monument Type : Country House
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Altered 1680s-90s
Monument End Date : 1699
Monument Start Date : 1680
Monument Type : Country House
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Altered 1763-5
Monument End Date : 1765
Monument Start Date : 1763
Monument Type : Country House
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Altered 1830s
Monument End Date : 1839
Monument Start Date : 1830
Monument Type : Country House
Evidence : Extant Building

Components and Objects:
Related Records from other datasets:
External Cross Reference Source : Listed Building List Entry Legacy Uid
External Cross Reference Number : 50309
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : NBR Index Number
External Cross Reference Number : 99947
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : National Monuments Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : TF 00 NW 38
External Cross Reference Notes :

Related Warden Records :
Associated Monuments : 868212
Relationship type :
Associated Monuments : 1437900
Relationship type :

Related Activities :
Associated Activities : Primary, FIELD OBSERVATION ON TF 00 NW 38
Activity type : FIELD OBSERVATION (VISUAL ASSESSMENT)
Start Date : 1961-11-18
End Date : 1961-11-18
Associated Activities : Primary, FIELD OBSERVATION ON TF 00 NW 38
Activity type : FIELD OBSERVATION (VISUAL ASSESSMENT)
Start Date : 1969-07-29
End Date : 1969-07-29
Associated Activities : Primary, BURGHLEY HOUSE
Activity type : GEOPHYSICAL SURVEY
Start Date : 1993-01-01
End Date : 1993-12-31
Associated Activities : Primary, INVESTIGATION BY RCHME/EH ARCHITECTURAL SURVEY
Activity type : ARCHITECTURAL SURVEY
Start Date : 1995-11-14
End Date : 1995-11-14
Associated Activities : Primary, BURGHLEY HOUSE, BREWHOUSE
Activity type : EVALUATION
Start Date : 2005-01-01
End Date : 2005-12-31