HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Historic England research records Result
Historic England research recordsPrintable version | About Historic England research records

Historic England Research Records

Bishops Manor

Hob Uid: 349523
Location :
Lincolnshire
West Lindsey
Nettleham
Grid Ref : TF0063075140
Summary : The earthwork and buried remains of the bishop's palace complex and its associated features, together with the buried remains of the early medieval manor house which preceded it. The bishop's palace was established at Nettleham at the beginning of the 12th century. The remains of the palace overlie those of a manor house in royal ownership which was granted to Bishop Bloet by Henry I in 1101. In 1336 Bishop Burghersh was granted a licence to crenellate the house and to surround it with a stone wall. The house was damaged during the Pilgrimage of Grace in 1536, but was not finally deserted until later in the century. The buildings were partly dismantled in the early 17th century to provide materials for works to the bishop's palace in Lincoln, and by the later 18th century no buildings remained standing. The remains of the palace complex take the form of a series of substantial earthworks, up to 2 metres in height, arranged in terraces on a north-facing slope. The remains of the principal buildings of the palace are located in the north eastern part of the monument, where the earth-covered remains of stone walls represent a series of ranges which included private chambers for the accommodation of the bishop and his royal guests, a chapel, offices, a kitchen and stables. The palace gardens are believed to have been laid out in the mid-14th century. They include the remains of paths and flowerbeds arranged in rectangular blocks. Archaeological excavation in the area of the garden has revealed the remains of a manor house which stood on the site before the 12th century. The central part of the monument takes the form of a broad terrace which represents the earth-covered remains of a stone wall which formed the southern boundary of the palace complex; the building remains at its centre represent the principal gatehouse of the palace.
More information : [Area centred: TF 00637514] Bishop's Palace [G.T.] (Site of). (1)

There was a manor-house on the site of the bishop's manor, Nettleham, in Saxon times, owned by Edith, wife of Edward the Confessor, and it may have been the homestead of Eadric, Earl of Mercia. A Saxon hearth and other remains, including 8th - 11th century loom-weights [at TF 0048 7520] and 12th century pottery [at TF 0053 7525 (3)] were found in 1935 (2).

In 1336 Bishop Burghersh was given licence to crenellate his manor house of Nettleham (4).

Part of the bishop's manor site was excavated for the Ministry of
Works in 1959. Remains of wall foundations, a well 14 ft deep a
little charcoal and pottery were seen. (5)

Bishop's Manor, scheduled ancient monument. (6)
[See Illustrations Card.] (2-7)

Extensive earthworks occupy this site. Resurveyed at 1:2500. Lincoln Museum have no material from the excavation. (8)

The earthworks of the Bishop's Palace described by authority 8 were mapped from good quality air photographs. (Morph No. LI.544.7.1). The earthworks were also surveyed by RCHME's field section. The results of this survey are available in the NMR Archive and an extensive description of the site is published.
(9-9a)

Sources :
Source Number : 1
Source : Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date)
Source details : OS 6" 1956
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 2
Source : Country Life
Source details : 22-Sep-60
Page(s) : 630, 633
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 10
Source : Scheduled Monument Notification
Source details : 21-Jan-99
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number :
Source : Nettleham Bishop's Palace/survey
Source details :
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number :
Source : Nettleham: North of Bishop's Palace/survey
Source details :
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number :
Source : Nettleham, site of Bishop's Palace/survey
Source details :
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 3
Source : Annotated Record Map
Source details : Correspondents Annotated 6" Sheet (F T Baker, June 1953)
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 4
Source : Military architecture in England during the Middle Ages
Source details :
Page(s) : 301
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 5
Source : Medieval archaeology : journal of the Society for Medieval Archaeology
Source details : JG Hurst
Page(s) : 153
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 4 (1960)
Source Number : 6
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : Ministry of Works. 1961. Ancient Monuments of England and Wales, 64
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 7
Source : Aerial photograph
Source details : APs (St Joseph's A.P. 0003 EX)
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 8
Source : Field Investigators Comments
Source details : F1 FDC 20-AUG-64
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 9
Source : RCHME/EH/HE Aerial Photographers comment
Source details : Dilwyn Jones/13-JUL-1994/RCHME: Lincolnshire NMP
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 9a
Source : Change and continuity : rural settlement in north-west Lincolnshire
Source details :
Page(s) : 129-131
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :

Monument Types:
Monument Period Name : Early Medieval
Display Date : Saxon
Monument End Date : 1066
Monument Start Date : 450
Monument Type : Manor House, Hearth
Evidence : Sub Surface Deposit, Find
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : Established early C12
Monument End Date : 1132
Monument Start Date : 1100
Monument Type : Bishops Palace
Evidence : Earthwork, Sub Surface Deposit
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : Laid out in mid-C14
Monument End Date : 1366
Monument Start Date : 1333
Monument Type : Garden, Garden Path, Flower Bed
Evidence : Earthwork
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : Licence to crenellate in 1336
Monument End Date : 1336
Monument Start Date : 1336
Monument Type : Fortified House, Bishops Palace, Wall, Chapel, Kitchen, Stable, Gatehouse
Evidence : Earthwork, Sub Surface Deposit
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Dismantled early C17
Monument End Date : 1632
Monument Start Date : 1600
Monument Type : Bishops Palace
Evidence : Earthwork, Sub Surface Deposit

Components and Objects:
Period : Early Medieval
Component Monument Type : Manor House, Hearth
Object Type : LOOMWEIGHT
Object Material :

Related Records from other datasets:
External Cross Reference Source : SMR Number (Lincolnshire)
External Cross Reference Number : 104
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : Scheduled Monument Legacy (County No.)
External Cross Reference Number : LI 104
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : MORPH2
External Cross Reference Number : LI.544.7
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : Scheduled Monument Legacy (National No.)
External Cross Reference Number : 22749
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : National Monuments Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : TF 07 NW 1
External Cross Reference Notes :

Related Warden Records :
Related Activities :
Associated Activities : Primary, BISHOP'S PALACE
Activity type : EXCAVATION
Start Date : 1959-01-01
End Date : 1959-12-31
Associated Activities : Primary, FIELD OBSERVATION ON TF 07 NW 1
Activity type : FIELD OBSERVATION (VISUAL ASSESSMENT)
Start Date : 1964-08-20
End Date : 1964-08-20
Associated Activities : Primary, RCHME: LINCOLNSHIRE NMP
Activity type : AERIAL PHOTOGRAPH INTERPRETATION
Start Date : 1992-07-01
End Date : 1997-03-01
Associated Activities : Primary, LAND AT 15 GREETWELL LANE
Activity type : EVALUATION
Start Date : 2007-01-01
End Date : 2007-12-31