HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Historic England research records Result
Historic England research recordsPrintable version | About Historic England research records

Historic England Research Records

Horse Armoury

Hob Uid: 1109327
Location :
Greater London Authority
Tower Hamlets
Non Civil Parish
Grid Ref : TQ3362080530
Summary : The Horse Armoury at the Tower of London was built in 1825 on the site of the Carriage Storehouse which had been erected in 1717 to house gun carriages and stood against the south front of the White Tower. The Horse Armoury had been designed specifically to hold a collection of armour known as the Line of Kings. Its design was heavily criticised as not being in keeping with the noble structure of the White Tower. It took the form of a low, crenellated single-storeyed building measuring 46m long and 10m wide with three towers projecting from its southern elevation with four windows glazed with decorative glass. The building was demolished in 1883.
More information :

Sources :
Source Number : 1
Source : English Heritage book of the Tower of London
Source details :
Page(s) : 82,96
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :

Monument Types:
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Built 1717
Monument End Date : 1717
Monument Start Date : 1717
Monument Type : Carriage House
Evidence : Documentary Evidence
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Built 1825
Monument End Date : 1825
Monument Start Date : 1825
Monument Type : Armoury
Evidence : Documentary Evidence
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Demolished 1883
Monument End Date : 1883
Monument Start Date : 1883
Monument Type : Armoury
Evidence : Documentary Evidence

Components and Objects:
Related Records from other datasets:
External Cross Reference Source : National Monuments Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : TQ 38 SW 1552
External Cross Reference Notes :

Related Warden Records :
Related Activities :