HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Historic England research records Result
Historic England research recordsPrintable version | About Historic England research records

Historic England Research Records

Hussey Tower

Hob Uid: 353942
Location :
Lincolnshire
Boston
Non Civil Parish
Grid Ref : TF3308043630
Summary : The standing and buried remains of a medieval brick fortified house. The house is belived to have been built in the mid to late 15th century for Richard Bennington. The tower was later owned by Lord Hussey, and following his death, in 1537, the estate was granted to the Corporation of Boston. A gatehouse was demolished in 1565, and repairs were made to the remainder of the buildings, which were then rented by Joseph Whiting. In the early 18th century further buildings were dismantled including the domestic range adjoining the tower, and in 1728 the lead and timber were removed from the tower. The tower is rectangular with an octagonal stair turret projecting from the north east corner. It measures 9 metres by 8 metres, with walls 1 metre in width, and stands three storeys high with a portion of the crenellated parapet. The tower is mainly of red brick with stone dressings. At ground floor level is a formerly rib-vaulted chamber which would have provided a storage area and is now entered by the doorway in the east wall. The tower was formerly part of a larger building as shown by the bonding and roof scars of a two storey range on the exterior of the east wall of the tower. The range, forming part of the domestic accommodation, was slightly narrower than the tower with communicating doorways between the range and the tower at ground and first floor levels. The former range, running east from the tower, will survive as buried remains.
More information : [TF 3308 4362] Hussey Tower [GT.] (Remains of). (1)

Hussey Tower, late 15th or early 16th century, is the remnant of a house built either by Richard Benyngton or Sir John Hussey, afterwards Lord Hussey, who was beheaded for his part in the Pilgrimage of Grace [1536]. In the rental of the Guild of Corpus Christi "Richard Benyngton Toure" is mentioned in 1489, and the name "Benyngton Tower" appears again in 1564.

It is impossible to trace the original extent of Hussey Hall. The
Gate House, taken down in 1565, probably fronted the South End. The wall of the enclosure in which the tower stands is ancient and inside it many foundations may be traced. In the 18th and early 19th century various buildings were taken down. Mention is made of a `brew-house' and `mill-house'. Thompson (4) illustrates Hussey Hall which, he says, stood adjoining the road to Skirbeck, almost at its junction with South End.

Hussey Tower, scheduled. (2-5)

The remains of Hussey Tower stand within iron railways surrounded by warehouses and playing fields. No foundations of other buildings or walling could be traced.
See G.P.s AO/65/18/5-6. (6)

Roman coins found:
Boston, Hussey Tower: 1936, Mrs Rudkin (Boston Museum accessions). (7)

Detailed description of existing building and discussion of its context in history. (8)

Romano-British pot, jet or shale pendant and Medieval pottery found. (9-10)

Listed as a possible castle by Cathcart King. (13)

Sources :
Source Number : 1
Source : Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date)
Source details : OS 6" 1956
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 2
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : Thompson P. 1856. History of Boston, 242-4
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 11
Source : Scheduled Monument Notification
Source details : 16-Apr-99
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 12
Source : List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest
Source details : Boston, 20-NOV-1975
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 716
Source Number : 13
Source : Castellarium anglicanum : an index and bibliography of the castles in England, Wales and the islands. Volume I : Anglesey - Montgomery
Source details :
Page(s) : 265
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 3
Source : Associated Architectural Societies' reports and papers [Lincoln, York, Northampton, Bedford, Worcester, Leicester and Sheffield ]
Source details : E Trollope
Page(s) : 206-7
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 10, 1869-70
Source Number : 4
Source : The Archaeological Journal
Source details : AH Thompson
Page(s) : 370
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 89, 1932
Source Number : 5
Source : Ancient monuments in England and Wales : list prepared by the Ministry of Works, corrected to 31st December 1960
Source details : Ministry of Works. 1961. Ancient Monuments of England and Wales, 63
Page(s) : 63
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 6
Source : Field Investigators Comments
Source details : F1 FDC 09-FEB-65
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 7
Source : The Fenland in Roman times : studies of a major area of peasant colonization with a gazetteer covering all known sites and finds
Source details :
Page(s) : 316
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : no.5
Source Number : 8
Source : Lincolnshire history and archaeology
Source details : TP Smith
Page(s) : 31-Jul
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 14, 1979
Source Number : 9
Source : Lincolnshire history and archaeology
Source details : AJ White
Page(s) : 66
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 14, 1979
Source Number : 10
Source : Externally held archive reference
Source details : SMR Files, Lincoln CCM
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :

Monument Types:
Monument Period Name : Roman
Display Date : Roman
Monument End Date : 410
Monument Start Date : 43
Monument Type : Findspot
Evidence : Find
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : Medieval
Monument End Date : 1540
Monument Start Date : 1066
Monument Type : Findspot
Evidence : Find
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : Built mid to late C15
Monument End Date : 1499
Monument Start Date : 1433
Monument Type : Fortified House
Evidence : Ruined Building, Sub Surface Deposit
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Demolished in 1565
Monument End Date : 1565
Monument Start Date : 1565
Monument Type : Gatehouse
Evidence : Demolished Building
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Domestic range dismantled early C18
Monument End Date : 1732
Monument Start Date : 1700
Monument Type : Fortified House
Evidence : Ruined Building, Sub Surface Deposit

Components and Objects:
Period : Roman
Component Monument Type : Findspot
Object Type : COIN, VESSEL, PENDANT
Object Material : Pottery, Jet, Shale
Period : Medieval
Component Monument Type : Findspot
Object Type : VESSEL
Object Material : Pottery

Related Records from other datasets:
External Cross Reference Source : SMR Number (Lincolnshire)
External Cross Reference Number : 49
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : Scheduled Monument Legacy (County No.)
External Cross Reference Number : LI 49
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : Scheduled Monument Legacy (National No.)
External Cross Reference Number : 31625
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : Listed Building List Entry Legacy Uid
External Cross Reference Number : 486443
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : NBR Index Number
External Cross Reference Number : 78292
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : National Monuments Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : TF 34 SW 10
External Cross Reference Notes :

Related Warden Records :
Related Activities :
Associated Activities : Primary, HUSSEY TOWER
Activity type : EXCAVATION
Start Date : 1960-01-01
End Date : 1960-12-31
Associated Activities : Primary, FIELD OBSERVATION ON TF 34 SW 10
Activity type : FIELD OBSERVATION (VISUAL ASSESSMENT)
Start Date : 1965-02-09
End Date : 1965-02-09
Associated Activities : Primary, HUSSEY TOWER
Activity type : EVALUATION
Start Date : 1988-01-01
End Date : 1988-12-31
Associated Activities : Primary, HUSSEY TOWER
Activity type : WATCHING BRIEF
Start Date : 1996-01-01
End Date : 1996-12-31