HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Historic England research records Result
Historic England research recordsPrintable version | About Historic England research records

Historic England Research Records

Wyberts Castle

Hob Uid: 353965
Location :
Lincolnshire
Boston
Wyberton
Grid Ref : TF3356041020
Summary : A medieval moated site known as Wybert's Castle, located at the south end of Wybert Lane, about 2km east of the village of Wyberton. The moated complex covers an area measuring 210 metres by 170 metres surrounding an island measuring 180 metres by 120 metres. The island includes a central pond linked to the moat by a leat which may reflect a subdivision of the site. Excavations undertaken in 1959-60 revealed remains of stone structures on the eastern half of the island, associated with pottery which suggested that the moated site was occupied during the 12th and 13th centuries and with some evidence that the site may have been in use until the 15th century. The moat encloses the island to the east, south and west, and measures between 7-12 metres across with an internal bank along much of its length. The eastern half of the northern moat arm has been infilled, but survives as a buried feature. The open section of the northern moat arm is enlarged, with a pond lying to its north. In 1086 there were two holdings in the area, one in possession of Count Alan of Brittany and the other held by Guy de Craon. By the 13th century much of the land at Wyberton, possibly that which was held by Count Alan, belonged to the Earl of Richmond and was tenanted. In the 18th century the moated site was known as 'Wells Slade', suggesting that it was held by the Wells family who had a manor at Wyberton in the 14th century. Although they were not tenants it is thought that their holding at Wyberton may have descended from previously tenanted land. The name 'Wyberton Castle' is thought to be of late 19th century origin. Scheduled.
More information : [TF 33564102] Wybert's Castle [GT] (Site of) Moat [G.T.] (1-2)

An earthwork enclosing 10 acres consisting of a well-preserved bank and ditch on three sides and part of the fourth.

Excavation by P. Mayes disclosed a discontinuous limestone wall and a 12th to early 13th century occupation layer; later ridge tiles suggest occupation into the 15th century.

White (4) after Dugdale and others, states that "The village of Wyberton has its name from Wybert, one of the Knights and seneschals of Algar, Earl of Mercia. The site of Wybert's Castle can still be plainly discerned, and its moat and drawbridge, in a field situated about a quarter of a mile to the east of the parish
church".

Thompson (5) also refers to Dugdale, and says "we do not find any record or tradition of a person called Wibertus being connected with this town, and think Aberton, the town at the south of the river", is a much more probable origin".

Air photographs (6) show slight internal disturbance and two depressions, probably fish ponds, on the north side of the earthworks. In the field to the north [area centred TF 335 412] are other ditches and marks which may be associated with the earthwork. (3-6)

This is a strongly defended moated site with associated fish ponds. The gap in the defences to the N.E. is presumably the result of infilling. The field to the north has been ploughed and no earthworks survive.

There is no certain surface evidence of a building site. Published survey (25") revised. (7)

Sources :
Source Number : 1
Source : Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date)
Source details : OS 6" 1956
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 2
Source : Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date)
Source details : OS 25" 1908
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 3
Source : Medieval archaeology : journal of the Society for Medieval Archaeology
Source details :
Page(s) : 327-8
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 5 (1961)
Source Number : 4
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : White W. 1872. Directory of Lincolnshire, 3rd Edition, 807
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 5
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : Thompson P. 1856. History of Boston, 549
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 5a
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : Mon. 68, (W. Dugdale)
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 6
Source : Aerial photograph
Source details : RAF/106UK/1706/4118-9 August 1946
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 7
Source : Field Investigators Comments
Source details : F1 FRH 11-FEB-65
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 8
Source : Scheduled Monument Notification
Source details : 02-Dec-98
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :

Monument Types:
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : C12 to C13
Monument End Date : 1299
Monument Start Date : 1100
Monument Type : Moat, Manor House, Fishpond
Evidence : Sub Surface Deposit, Earthwork

Components and Objects:
Related Records from other datasets:
External Cross Reference Source : Scheduled Monument Legacy (National No.)
External Cross Reference Number : 31609
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : National Monuments Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : TF 34 SW 17
External Cross Reference Notes :

Related Warden Records :
Related Activities :
Associated Activities : Primary, WYBERT'S CASTLE
Activity type : EXCAVATION
Start Date : 1958-01-01
End Date : 1960-12-31
Associated Activities : Primary, FIELD OBSERVATION ON TF 34 SW 17
Activity type : FIELD OBSERVATION (VISUAL ASSESSMENT)
Start Date : 1965-02-11
End Date : 1965-02-11