HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Historic England research records Result
Historic England research recordsPrintable version | About Historic England research records

Historic England Research Records

Hanby Hall

Hob Uid: 355251
Location :
Lincolnshire
East Lindsey
Welton Le Marsh
Grid Ref : TF4750069830
Summary : Medieval moated enclosure, fishponds, enclosures and boundaries seen as earthworks. Possible site of the 'lost' Medieval village of Hanby. Eighteenth century house, possibly on the site of a Medieval hall. The island is covered with trees and undergrowth. The surrounding land is cultivated.
More information : [TF 4749 6973] Hanby Hall on site of HANBY [GT]. (1)

[Centred TF 475 698](5) The lost village of Hanby is represented by Hanby Hall, an ancient farm-house surrounded by a moat within which foundations of earlier buildings have been traced (3).
The Hamby family appear to have resided here temp. Henry III and Edward I, and Hanby is undoubtedly a corruption of Hamby (4). In his translation of the Lincolnshire Domesday Canon Foster (2) has both Hanby and Hamby.
Slight traces of earthworks are visible on air photographs.
[See also TF 46 NE 4 for Castle Hill]. (2-5)

Hanby Hall which ranges from 18th century to modern stands within a
manorial moat. In the NE corner of the moated area are the remains of associated fishponds.
A slightly disturbed area within the moat on the site of an old orchard has been ploughed but no building remains are visible.
Outside the moat the traces of desertion are confined to field roads within an area bounded by rig and furrow.
Published survey (25") revised. (6)

Additional reference. (7)

The Medieval moated enclosure and fishponds, referred to by the
previous authorities, were seen as earthworks and mapped from good
quality air photographs. The moat encloses a rectangular area,
measuring 150m by 150m, and is centred at TF 4752 6973. The
eighteenth century hall sits over the north west corner of the moat.
A partially visible enclosure, measuring 70m by 110m, adjoins the
north side of the moat. Within this are two fishponds and a possible
third is attached to the side of the enclosure. Adjacent to the
south east corner of the moat is an incomplete rectangular ditched
enclosure, measuring 30m by 25m, centred at TF 4763 6966. This has
been ploughed and is now visible as cropmarks. Parallel to its south
side are perpendicular boundaries, possibly parts of another
enclosure. More perpendicular boundaries are visible to the north of
the moat, centred at TF 4747 7000. Nothing positively identifiable
as Medieval village remains were visible on the available air
photographs. A possible motte is adjacent to the moat and associated
remains (see TF 46 NE 4). (Morph No. LI.395.2.1-2, 3-9)

This description is based on data from the RCHME MORPH2 database.
(8)

In 1086 Gilbert de Gant held land at Welton le Marsh. During the 13th century Jolanus de Hamby held land of the earl of Arundel in Welton. It is believed that the Hamby family were resident at Hanby during this period. The Hambys subsequently married into the Willoughby family and the manor of Hanby was recorded among the possessions of the ninth Lord Willoughby on his death in 1525. Part of the manor of Hanby was still held by the Willoughby family in the 19th century.

The moat now encloses the island on two sides. The eastern moat arm was infilled and ploughed in late 1988 or early 1999. The northern arm and north eastern corner of the moat lay to the north of the present track, in an area now under cultivation, and are no longer evident. The extant sections of the moat measure up to 10m in width and 1m deep in places and now serving as a drainage ditch.

A series of outbuildings were located to the north west of the the Hall and obscured the north western corner of the moat. The Hall has been demolished together with the surrounding outbuildings leaving one extant group of buildings, part of Hanby Hall Farm, to the north west of the moat.

Other cropmarks in the vicinity indicate boundaries, enclosures and the remains of ridge and furrow. The area is now under cultivation and only slight earthwork remains of the square enclosure are now visible.

The island is planted with trees.

Poor survuval means that the fishponds and the moated site do not fulfill the requirements for scheduling. (9)

Sources :
Source Number : 1
Source : Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date)
Source details : OS 6" 1956
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 2
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : Lincs Record Soc 19 1924 xxxviii lvi lxxvii (C W Foster)
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 3
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : Directory of Lincs 3rd Edn 1872 293 (W White)
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 4
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : Oldfield, E, 1829. Topo and Hist Account of Wainfleet (275-6)
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 5
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : APs (RAF CPE/UK/2604 19.4.48 4161 4162)
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 6
Source : Field Investigators Comments
Source details : F1 BHS 25-AUG-64
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 7
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : Beresford, M and Hurst, J G, 1971. Deserted Medieval Villages (194)
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 8
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : Helen Winton/13-DEC-1993/RCHME: Lincolnshire NMP
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 9
Source : English Heritage Alternative Action Report
Source details : Drury, D. 23-MAR-1999
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :

Monument Types:
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : 1086 held by Gilbert de Gant
Monument End Date : 1540
Monument Start Date : 1066
Monument Type : Settlement, Hall House, Fishpond, Enclosure, Boundary
Evidence : Conjectural Evidence, Earthwork
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Post Medieval
Monument End Date : 1901
Monument Start Date : 1540
Monument Type : House
Evidence : Conjectural Evidence, Building

Components and Objects:
Related Records from other datasets:
External Cross Reference Source : SMR Number (Lincolnshire)
External Cross Reference Number : 42176
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : MORPH2
External Cross Reference Number : LI.395.2
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : National Monuments Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : TF 46 NE 5
External Cross Reference Notes :

Related Warden Records :
Associated Monuments : 355248
Relationship type : General association

Related Activities :
Associated Activities : Primary, FIELD OBSERVATION ON TF 46 NE 5
Activity type : FIELD OBSERVATION (VISUAL ASSESSMENT)
Start Date : 1964-08-25
End Date : 1964-08-25
Associated Activities : Primary, RCHME: LINCOLNSHIRE NMP
Activity type : AERIAL PHOTOGRAPH INTERPRETATION
Start Date : 1992-07-01
End Date : 1997-03-01