HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Historic England research records Result
Historic England research recordsPrintable version | About Historic England research records

Historic England Research Records

Monument Number 356578

Hob Uid: 356578
Location :
Norfolk
King's Lynn and West Norfolk
South Wootton
Grid Ref : TF6344022390
Summary : The earthwork remains of a coastal battery built in 1570, used as a Civil War sconce, and possibly used in 1803.
More information : TF 633222. A rectangular earthwork (circa 300 feet by 450 feet) has been identified at the end of Wootton Drift and is cut
by King's Lynn/Hunstanton railway line. It is thought to be the
sconce "Made at ye croche a myle distante from Lyne wher ye chanell is narrowest.." (1-2)

TF 63442240. The remains of a civil war sconce now under pasture. The surveyable features comprise the eastern flank of the work only, the former central bastion and western flank having been destroyed by a combination of early railway building (with later demolition and removal) and farming.

In plan the work was of the typical military engineering pattern, as exampled in the Newark Siege Works (see RCHM report) although somewhat irregular in style, ie the south east 'arrow head' platform appears rather smaller than the north east. There has been surface mutilation in the form of soil removal and the defensive ditch has been later utilised as a water course; but the platform still achieves a maximum height of 1.6m, the ditch havivng a maximum depth of 0.3m.

The work is situated in flat open country with all round visibility and lies without the line of the King's Lynn Town defensive system.

Surveyed at 1:1250 on MSD. (3)

In 1588, Sir Thomas Leighton decided to create a sconce to the seawards of Kings Lynn. It was not bastioned, but was rather a rectangular earthwork enclosure about 300 feeet by 450 feet. In 1803 it was recommended that a small battery be built north of town near the site of the old fort at the Crutch. (4)

Sources :
Source Number : 1
Source : Post-medieval archaeology : the journal of the Society for Post-Medieval Archaeology
Source details : D G Hurst
Page(s) : 176-7
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 2, 1969
Source Number : 2
Source : Norfolk archaeology : a journal of archaeology and local history
Source details : B C Hardy
Page(s) : 312
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 26, 1932
Source Number : 3
Source : Field Investigators Comments
Source details : F1 RSC 09-SEP-78
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 4
Source : Fortifications of East Anglia
Source details :
Page(s) : 225
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :

Monument Types:
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Built 1588
Monument End Date : 1588
Monument Start Date : 1588
Monument Type : Sconce, Coastal Battery
Evidence : Earthwork
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Modified 1643
Monument End Date : 1643
Monument Start Date : 1643
Monument Type : Sconce, Coastal Battery
Evidence : Earthwork
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : possibly used in 1803
Monument End Date : 1803
Monument Start Date : 1803
Monument Type : Coastal Battery
Evidence : Earthwork

Components and Objects:
Related Records from other datasets:
External Cross Reference Source : SMR Number (Norfolk)
External Cross Reference Number : 13784
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : National Monuments Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : TF 62 SW 50
External Cross Reference Notes :

Related Warden Records :
Related Activities :
Associated Activities : Primary, FIELD OBSERVATION ON TF 62 SW 47
Activity type : FIELD OBSERVATION (VISUAL ASSESSMENT)
Start Date : 1978-09-09
End Date : 1978-09-09