HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Historic England research records Result
Historic England research recordsPrintable version | About Historic England research records

Historic England Research Records

West Acre Priory

Hob Uid: 357139
Location :
Norfolk
King's Lynn And West Norfolk
West Acre
Grid Ref : TF7804014970
Summary : Augustinian priory founded circa 1140-54 and dissolved in 1538. Several ruined buildings remain, and were largely built in the Norman period with alterations in the 14th century. Much of the plan was recovered in the 1920's. The church was cruciform, aisles being inserted in the nave in the 14th century. The claustral complex lies to the South, and consists of the chapter house, dorter, reredorter, refectory and cellarer's range. The infirmary lay to the East of the East range, and the kitchen to the South of the South range. A building of unknown function, but possibly a divorced guest house, lay across the river to the South. The fragmentary remains of the gatehouse, chapter house, domestic range, cloister, church and a barn still survive. Dependencies: Great Massingham, Weybourne, Custhorpe, Narford.
More information : (TF 78041497) Remains of (NAT) Priory (NR) (Augustinian) (1)

Augustinian priory of St Mary and All Saints', Westacre; founded late 11th/early 12th.c. dissolved 1538. In 1286, the church and convent buildings were destroyed by fire (a). Excavations on this site were made 1927 and 1928 Plan. Founded c.1135 according to Knowles and Hadcock. (2-4)

14th.c. Priory gatehouse, and extensive remains incorporated in farm buildings. Grade I. (5)

Both the modern Priory farmhouse and associated farm buildings hold much masonry in their fabric either "in situ" or rebuilt from the Priory proper; elsewhere standing isolated fragments of the Medieval buildings exist but are insufficient, in both size and plan, to enable a classification. Centred to TF 78041500 are the remains of, probably, the east range of the cloisters, together with the fragmentary shell of the ? chapter house.

The building to the south of the River Nar is presumably a divorced guest-house and is now collapsed but surveyable. Amorphous earthworks to the south-east of All Saints' Church represent early fields and associated roads together with quarrying (prob stone robbery) See ground photographs. Surveyed at 1:2500 on AM photostat. (6)

Sources :
Source Number : 1
Source : Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date)
Source details : OS 6" 1959
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 2
Source : Norfolk archaeology : a journal of archaeology and local history
Source details : F H Fairweather
Page(s) : 359-94
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 23, 1929
Source Number : 2a
Source : The Victoria history of the county of Norfolk: volume two
Source details :
Page(s) : 402
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 3
Source : Medieval religious houses in England and Wales
Source details :
Page(s) : 144,179
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 4
Source : Aerial photograph
Source details : CUC AZ9
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 5
Source : List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest
Source details : DOE (HHR) Freebridge Lynn Norf July 1947 11
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 6
Source : Field Investigators Comments
Source details : F1 FDC 08-MAR-78
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :

Monument Types:
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : Extant
Monument End Date : 1538
Monument Start Date : 1140
Monument Type : Augustinian Monastery, Priory, Church, Cloister, Chapter House, Dormitory, Privy House, Cellarers Range, Gatehouse, Kitchen, Infirmary, Guest House, Undercroft
Evidence : Ruined Building, Sub Surface Deposit

Components and Objects:
Related Records from other datasets:
External Cross Reference Source : Listed Building List Entry Legacy Uid
External Cross Reference Number : 221917
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : Scheduled Monument Legacy (County No.)
External Cross Reference Number : NF 170
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : SMR Number (Norfolk)
External Cross Reference Number : 3881
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : Scheduled Monument Legacy (National No.)
External Cross Reference Number : 21325
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : NBR Index Number
External Cross Reference Number : 44309
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : Listed Building List Entry Legacy Uid
External Cross Reference Number : 221913
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : Listed Building List Entry Legacy Uid
External Cross Reference Number : 221914
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : Listed Building List Entry Legacy Uid
External Cross Reference Number : 221915
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : Listed Building List Entry Legacy Uid
External Cross Reference Number : 221916
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : Listed Building List Entry Legacy Uid
External Cross Reference Number : 221918
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : Listed Building List Entry Legacy Uid
External Cross Reference Number : 221919
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : National Monuments Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : TF 71 SE 1
External Cross Reference Notes :

Related Warden Records :
Associated Monuments : 357365
Relationship type : General association
Associated Monuments : 132125
Relationship type : General association
Associated Monuments : 357165
Relationship type : General association
Associated Monuments : 1315663
Relationship type : General association

Related Activities :
Associated Activities : FIELD OBSERVATION ON TF 71 SE 1
Activity type : FIELD OBSERVATION (VISUAL ASSESSMENT)
Start Date : 1978-03-08
End Date : 1978-03-08
Associated Activities : WEST ACRE PRIORY
Activity type : WATCHING BRIEF
Start Date : 1987-01-01
End Date : 1987-12-31
Associated Activities : WEST ACRE PRIORY
Activity type : GEOPHYSICAL SURVEY
Start Date : 1994-01-01
End Date : 1994-12-31
Associated Activities : WEST ACRE PRIORY
Activity type : MANAGEMENT SURVEY
Start Date : 1994-01-01
End Date : 1994-12-31
Associated Activities : WEST ACRE PRIORY
Activity type : WATCHING BRIEF
Start Date : 1995-01-01
End Date : 1995-12-31
Associated Activities : WEST ACRE PRIORY (ABBEY COURTYARD)
Activity type : EVALUATION
Start Date : 1997-01-01
End Date : 1997-12-31
Associated Activities : WEST ACRE PRIORY (CELLARERS' RANGE)
Activity type : WATCHING BRIEF
Start Date : 1998-01-01
End Date : 1998-12-31
Associated Activities : WEST ACRE PRIORY BARN
Activity type : WATCHING BRIEF
Start Date : 1999-01-01
End Date : 1999-12-31
Associated Activities : ABBEY HOUSE, WEST ACRE PRIORY
Activity type : EXCAVATION
Start Date : 2012-01-01
End Date : 2012-12-31