HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Historic England research records Result
Historic England research recordsPrintable version | About Historic England research records

Historic England Research Records

St Giles Church

Hob Uid: 35771
Location :
Somerset
Somerset West and Taunton
Withypool and Hawkridge
Grid Ref : SS8610030650
Summary : St Giles Church originated in the 11th century. There is evidence of 14th century additions and the church was restored in 1878.
More information : [SS 86103065] St Giles' Church (NAT) (1)

Hawkridge church consists only of a nave and chancel with a tower at
the W end. The fabric includes an eastern window and buttresses in
the Early Decorated style as well as Early Norman features eg. a
doorway on the N side of the tower, and a circular font. The tower is 19th century. (2)

In normal use. (3)

St Giles Church has a Norman doorway and the East window and part of
the chancel are Decorated. There is a plain two stage West tower.
"Such a structure is hard to date. Is it ancient or simply
primitive?" (4)

21/1 Church of St Giles. Grade B.
Small plain typical moorland church considerably restored in late
C.19. Nave, chancel with C.14 E window, W tower of two stages,
embattled parapet and stair turret, diagonal buttresses to lower
stage. Crudely ornamented Norman S doorway, Norman tub font. (5)

SS83SE WITHYPOOL CP HAWKRIDGE
18/161 Church of St Giles
6.4.59
GV II*

Parish church. Norman south door, C14 chancel and base of tower, rest Perpendicular, restored 1878. Local stone random rubble, plinth to chancel, Ham stone dressings slate roofs. West tower, 3-bay nave, chancel. Crenellated 2-stage tower, diagonal buttresses to second stage string course, louvred lancet bell opening, 4-light west window, unmoulded semi-circular headed doorway to C19 west door, crenellated north east stair turret; buttress to south west corner of nave, 2-light window left of gabled, single storey porch with C19 semi-circular arched opening, semi-circular headed Norman doorway with zig-zag moulding to extrados, capitals with incised design, renewed inner arch, chamfered jambs, C19 door; right 3-light trefoil headed mullioned window set into rebuilt sectionof nave wall, chamfered corner at junction with chancel, 2-light chancel window; north front unlit with rood stair projection and lean-to roofed addition thought to contain boiler for heating system.
Interior: rendered. Shallow chancel arch, unchamfered 4-centred
tower arch. C19 ceiled wagon roof to nave. Panelled screen to tower arch. Norman baluster font, cable moulded with incised grid pattern to bowl. C13 stone coffin lid, chamfered cornice defacedfoliage cross, incised with inscription "William...... lies here"; thought to refer to William de Plessey, Lord of the manor, died 1274. This was found in wall behind pulpit in 1877 and removed from the church, only to be returned in 1931. Painted Royal coat of Arms of Queen Victoria on chancel arch wall inscribed "WHW and JC churchwardens 1877". (Photograph in NMR). (6)

The church is in normal use and is as described by authorities 3-6.

The first rector was appointed in 1318 (7).

About five years ago the western end of the oak vaulting was replaced after being damaged by scaffolding which was being used during repairs to the tower (8). (7-9)

Sources :
Source Number : 1
Source : Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date)
Source details : OS 6" 1962
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 2
Source : The Archaeological Journal
Source details :
Page(s) : 300
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 7, 1850
Source Number : 3
Source : Field Investigators Comments
Source details : F1 GHP 19-AUG-65
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 4
Source : South and west Somerset
Source details :
Page(s) : 192
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 5
Source : List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest
Source details : DOE (HHR) Dulverton RD, Somerset Sept 1955
Page(s) : 25
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 6
Source : List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest
Source details : DOE(HHR) West Somer Dist (Exford et al) Somerset 2.1.86
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 7
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : Church of St Giles information pamphlet
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 8
Source : Oral information, correspondence (not archived) or staff comments
Source details : Tom Lock, The Old Post Office, Hawkridge, Dulverton
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 9
Source : Field Investigators Comments
Source details : Chapman HP 26-JAN-1995 RCHME Field Investigation
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :

Monument Types:
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : C11
Monument End Date : 1099
Monument Start Date : 1000
Monument Type : Church, Font
Evidence : Extant Building, Structure
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : Additions in C14
Monument End Date : 1399
Monument Start Date : 1300
Monument Type : Church
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Restored 1878
Monument End Date : 1878
Monument Start Date : 1878
Monument Type : Church
Evidence : Extant Building

Components and Objects:
Related Records from other datasets:
External Cross Reference Source : SMR Number (Somerset)
External Cross Reference Number : 34288
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : Listed Building List Entry Legacy Uid
External Cross Reference Number : 265575
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : National Monuments Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : SS 83 SE 4
External Cross Reference Notes :

Related Warden Records :
Related Activities :
Associated Activities : Primary, FIELD OBSERVATION ON SS 83 SE 4
Activity type : FIELD OBSERVATION (VISUAL ASSESSMENT)
Start Date : 1965-08-19
End Date : 1965-08-19
Associated Activities : Primary, RCHME: WEST EXMOOR PROJECT
Activity type : MEASURED SURVEY
Start Date : 1993-01-01
End Date : 1996-12-31