HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Historic England research records Result
Historic England research recordsPrintable version | About Historic England research records

Historic England Research Records

St Dubricius Church

Hob Uid: 35837
Location :
Somerset
Somerset West and Taunton
Porlock
Grid Ref : SS8863946666
Summary : 13th century tower, late 13th-early 14th century south arcade, 15th century porch and east vestry or sacristy added, 1703 spire damaged, 1769 screen removed, 1889 tower restored, 1890 organ chamber added, 1892 church restored and choir stalls added from designs of J D Sedding, 1901, further alterations including stained glass by E Buckle. There are two pieces of Early Medieval cross in the west wall. A medieval hospital was attached to the church. It has been hypothesised that the 8th-10th century cross fragments may indicate a Saxon precursor for the church. Porlock was attacked in 1052, as noted in the Anglo-Saxon Chronicle, and so may have had a chapel or church. The dedication to St Dubricius is curious. The Rev W Hook thought it may have been the result of the translation of the saint's bones from Bardsey Island to LLandaff circa 1120, but that doesn't explain any connection with Porlock. A connection with the living saint or one of his disciples in the 6th or subsequent centuries is more probable, such as a monastic settlement or oratory at Porlock.
More information : [SS 8864 4666] Church (NR) - Church (NR) (1)

Porlock Church, dedicated to St. Dubricius, was probably built about 1120 to commemorate the removal of the saint's remains from the Isle of Bardsey to Llandaff (2). The east tower and wooden framework of the spire date from the E. 13th c., and there are remains of 13th cent. work in the S. aisle wall. The arcade dates from c. 1400 and the porch and nave windows are 15th cent. A fragment of a pre-Norman cross-shaft with interlaced ornament is preserved in the church (3). (2-3)

The church is in normal use.
A small fragment of Saxon cross, longest side 0.25 m. is built into the west wall of the south aisle (see G.P. AO/65/176/3). (4)

Lesser hospital listed at Porlock. There were two chantries in the parish church in 1548 with one chaplain and two poor men 'remaynint ther, by the fundacon'. (5)

Description of church. There are two small fragments of a Saxon cross shaft in the west wall. (6)

Church of St. Dubricious C. 13, C. 15. Nave, chancel, S. aisle, porch with parvise, unbuttressed W. tower with truncated oak-shingled broach spire. Triple-lancet E. window, other windows Perpendicular Interior has fragment (in S. aisle) of pre-Norman cross with interlaced ornament, C. 15 octagonal stone font, canopied table monument to John, 4th. Baron of Harington (temp. Hen. V.) and his wife Elizabeth, cross-legged stone effigy of Sir Simon Fitz-Rogers temp. Richard I.) (7)

HIGH STREET (South side)
Church of St Dubricius
GV I
Parish church. C13 tower, late C13-early C14 south arcade, C15 porch and east vestry or sacristy added, 1703 spire damaged, 1769 screen removed, 1889 tower restored, 1890 organ chamber added, 1892 church restored and choir stalls added from designs of J D Sedding, 1901 further alterations including stained glass by E Buckle. West tower, 4-bay nave and south aisle, south chapel, north porch, north-east choir vestry with organ chamber, chancel with south east priest's vestry. Blue lias and red sandstone random rubble, Ham stone dressings, organ chamber with squared and coursed sandstone above string course, snecked granite below slate roof with slight bell-cast, coped verges, wooden shingles on tower roof. Two stage tower, stepped diagonal buttresses rising half a stage, octagonal broached spire, wooden shingles, 4 gabled dormers, truncated top, tall lancet west window, west door; 3-light west window in south aisle, three 2-light windows, 3 full height stepped buttresses, 3-light east window to aisle, grotesque gargoyle at junction with chancel, chancel 2-light south window, 3-light untraceried lancet window east end, vestry chamfered pointed arch doorway, 3-light window right, lancet to 1890 addition, north wall of nave 2-light windows flanking inserted C19 window left of stair projection, another 2-light window to right of 2-storey, gabled porch with clasping buttresses, blind niche and inserted trefoil headed lancet above pointed arch opening, inserted lancet on left return first floor, holy water stoop to left of chamfered pointed arch doorway, door erected 1953 in memory of Queen Elizabeth's Coronation, Perpendicular tomb chest resited from churchyard on east wall, quatrefoil decoration with Instruments of the Passion.
Interior: rendered, exposed quoins to openings. Five bay arcade of octagonal piers, pointed arch openings chamfered in 2 orders. No chancel arch, corbelled truss; pointed chamfered tower arch, C19 panelled oak screen. Late C19 roofs: ceiled wagon roof in chancel, rafter roof in nave and aisle, latter with remains of original wall plate on south wall, ceiled roof to chapel. Low trefoil-headed opening to rood stair door opposite third pier from chancel with roof loft opening in spandrel. Trefoil-headed piscina in chancel; 4-centred chamfered arch openings to priest's vestry from chancel, to blocked south aisle entrance, and to parvise stairway, 2-light cinquefoil headed window in north chancel wall above Perpendicular tomb-chest ornamented with shields, trefoil headed niches flanking circular panels with trefoils. It is thought that the 2 tomb chests in porch and chancel are those mentioned in the will of Alice Hensley dated 1527. Aumbry in south chapel, with very fine canopy tomb with alabaster effigies of Lord Harrington, died 1417, and his wife, both defaced with inscriptions. Two moulded segmental headed tomb recesses in south wall, one empty, other with reset effigy of cross legged knight, late C13. Perpendicular octagonal font with C19 font cover. Two small incised pieces of Saxon cross set in west end wall. Reredos by W H R Blacking dated 1931. Rare pre-pendulum clock thought to be c1400-50 at west end. Large panels of tinted glass with a floral design similar to Church of St Mary (qv) Luccombe CP give a pleasing effect. Tower said to contain C17 ladder to bell chamber. Rare dedication to St Dubricius, the C6 Welsh saint. (Photographs in NMR) (8)

Additional Bibliography. (9-13)

Full description of the 8th-10th century fragment. This has been described as a cross fragment, but it could equally be a part of a grave-cover. (14)

Sources :
Source Number : 1
Source : Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date)
Source details : OS 6" 1931
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 2
Source : Somerset archaeology and natural history : the proceedings of the Somersetshire Archaeological and Natural History Society
Source details : 1889 (The Rev. W. Hook)
Page(s) : 25-31
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 35
Source Number : 9
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : Porlock Church (Christopherson, D)
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 10
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : History of the Ancient Church of Porlock (W Hook)
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 11
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : Ant. (H Hayman)
Page(s) : 249
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 7, 1883
Source Number : 12
Source : Somerset archaeology and natural history : the proceedings of the Somersetshire Archaeological and Natural History Society
Source details : 1906
Page(s) : 28-31
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 52
Source Number : 13
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : History and Antiquities of the County of Somerset Vol 2 1791 pp38-40 (J Collinson)
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 14
Source : Corpus of Anglo-Saxon Stone Sculpture: Vol VII. South-West England
Source details :
Page(s) : 174
Figs. :
Plates : 320-1
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 3
Source : Somerset archaeology and natural history : the proceedings of the Somersetshire Archaeological and Natural History Society
Source details : 1931 (F.C. Eeles)
Page(s) : XLVIII-L
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 77
Source Number : 4
Source : Field Investigators Comments
Source details : F1 GHP 09-JUL-65
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 5
Source : Medieval religious houses in England and Wales
Source details :
Page(s) : 330, 386
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 5a
Source : Somerset Record Society [series]
Source details : 1888
Page(s) : 49
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 2
Source Number : 6
Source : South and west Somerset
Source details :
Page(s) : 275
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 7
Source : List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest
Source details : MHLG (Prov List) Williton RD, Somer March 1962 p62
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 8
Source : List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest
Source details : DOE (Prov List) West Somer Dist (Exford et al) Somer 02.01.86 p30
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 8a
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : Kelly's Directory 1906
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :

Monument Types:
Monument Period Name : Early Medieval
Display Date : C6-C11
Monument End Date : 1066
Monument Start Date : 501
Monument Type : Church
Evidence : Conjectural Evidence
Monument Period Name : Early Medieval
Display Date : C8-10
Monument End Date : 1000
Monument Start Date : 701
Monument Type : Cross, Grave Slab
Evidence : Architectural Component
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date :
Monument End Date : 1548
Monument Start Date :
Monument Type : Hospital
Evidence : Documentary Evidence
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : C13
Monument End Date : 1300
Monument Start Date : 1201
Monument Type : Parish Church
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date :
Monument End Date : 1332
Monument Start Date : 1267
Monument Type : Parish Church
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date :
Monument End Date : 1500
Monument Start Date : 1401
Monument Type : Parish Church
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date :
Monument End Date : 1892
Monument Start Date : 1889
Monument Type : Parish Church
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : 20th Century
Display Date : 20th Century
Monument End Date : 2000
Monument Start Date : 1901
Monument Type : Parish Church
Evidence : Extant Building

Components and Objects:
Period : Early Medieval
Component Monument Type : Cross, Grave Slab
Object Type :
Object Material : Limestone

Related Records from other datasets:
External Cross Reference Source : SMR Number (Somerset)
External Cross Reference Number : 33948
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : SMR Number (Somerset)
External Cross Reference Number : 33952
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : Listed Building List Entry Legacy Uid
External Cross Reference Number : 265469
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : Unified Designation System UID
External Cross Reference Number : 1173524
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : National Monuments Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : SS 84 NE 3
External Cross Reference Notes :

Related Warden Records :
Related Activities :
Associated Activities : Primary, FIELD OBSERVATION ON SS 84 NE 3
Activity type : FIELD OBSERVATION (VISUAL ASSESSMENT)
Start Date : 1965-07-09
End Date : 1965-07-09