HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Historic England research records Result
Historic England research recordsPrintable version | About Historic England research records

Historic England Research Records

Carbrooke Hospitallers Preceptory

Hob Uid: 358579
Location :
Norfolk
Breckland
Carbrooke
Grid Ref : TF9510002100
Summary : It is not disputed that Maud, Countess of Clare, granted the Church of St John the Baptist, a second church, and the manor of Carbrooke to the Knights Hospitallers in 1182. What is disputed is whether a Templars Preceptory was started here as a result of a grant by her deceased husband, who died in 1173, with the preceptory unfinished. Maud also placed Sisters of the Order of St John in a hospital near the second church, but tese were moved to Buckland in 1180. The site is indicated by a moat, fishponds, enclosures, banks and ditches, all under permanent pasture. The major feature is a level rectangular platform. Several other scarps and platforms can be traced and a pond occupies the south-east corner but the north-west area of the site has been severely mutilated. Immediately west of this moated platform are three fishponds and associated banks and ditches. A small almost square moated island is probably the site of a dovecote. A substantial ditch with inner bank runs from the north-east corner of the graveyard of St. Peter and St. Paul's Church and follows the present boundary of the pasture field on its south to terminate at the fenced pond west of Wood Farm. This probably marks the perimeter of the preceptory, but ditches and banks of field or habitation plots to the north and east are probably associated with the complex.
More information : (TF 951021) Site of Preceptory of St John of Jerusalem (NR).(1)

Knowles and Hadcock date the Knights Hospitallers
foundation at before 1180. Dissolved in 1540. (2)

Earthworks with no remains of buildings (other than foundations). (3).

A preceptory was built here for Knights Templars by the Earl of Clare, who died in 1173 before it was finished or endowed. His widow gave the preceptory to the Knights Hospitallers in 1182 (4).

The site is under permanent pasture. It comprises a perimeter moat, fishponds and amorphous building foundations.
Resurveyed at 1:2500. (5)

SS Peter & Pauls church, to the north, is mainly Perpendicular, but work of earlier periods is evident. Of particular note are two early 13 century grave covers in the floor of the chancel, which bear the insignia of the Templars.
TF 951021. Commandery of St John of Jerusalem (site of) - scheduled. (6)

The site of the Preceptory of St. John. The site is indicated by a moat, fishponds, enclosures, banks and ditches, all under permanent pasture. The major feature is a level rectangular platform, measuring 76.0m. north to south, which is flanked on the north, east and south sides by a moat c12.0m. wide by 1.5m. deep. The west and part of the north arm have been destroyed; the north and east arms are dry and a stream runs along the bottom of the south side. Within this area are the foundations of a sub-rectangular enclosure measuring 18.0m. by 13.0m. with a rectangular building in its south side. Several other scarps and platforms can be traced and a pond occupies the south-east corner but the north-west area of the site has been severely mutilated. Immediately west of this moated platform are three fishponds and associated banks and ditches. A small almost square moated island at TL 9518-0221 is probably the site of the dovecote mentioned by Puddy (a).

A substantial ditch with inner bank runs from the north-east corner of the graveyard of St. Peter and St. Paul's Church and follows the present boundary of the pasture field on its south to terminate at the fenced pond west of Wood Farm. This probably marks the perimeter of the preceptory, but ditches and banks of field or habitation plots to the north and east are probably associated with the complex.
Resurveyed at 1:2500 on MSD. (7)

Scheduled. (8,9)

The preceptory also served as a hospital, 12 poor persons being catered for by the Hospitallers. (10)

Sources :
Source Number : 1
Source : Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date)
Source details : OS 6" 1958
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 2
Source : Medieval religious houses in England and Wales
Source details :
Page(s) : 300,302
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 10
Source : The Victoria history of the county of Norfolk: volume two
Source details :
Page(s) : 423-5
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 3
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : Monastic Rems of Norf & Suff 1934 17 (CJW Messent)
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 4
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : Hist of Norf 2 1805 339-41 (F Blomefield)
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 5
Source : Field Investigators Comments
Source details : F1 JB 24-JAN-73
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 6
Source : Scheduled Monument Notification
Source details : DOE (IAM) Anc Mons Rec Form 23 3 79
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 7
Source : Field Investigators Comments
Source details : F2 RD 15-JUN-81
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 7a
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : Norf Arch Unit (Notes)
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 8
Source : Moated Sites Research Group report
Source details :
Page(s) : 35
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 8, 1981
Source Number : 9
Source : Scheduled Monument Notification
Source details : Eng Heritage SAMs Norf 1987 4
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :

Monument Types:
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : Moved from Carbrooke 1180
Monument End Date : 1180
Monument Start Date : 1180
Monument Type : Sisters Of St John Nunnery, Church, Hospital
Evidence : Documentary Evidence
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : Extant 1180-1540
Monument End Date : 1540
Monument Start Date : 1180
Monument Type : Hospitallers Preceptory, Moat, Fishpond, Hospital
Evidence : Earthwork, Documentary Evidence

Components and Objects:
Related Records from other datasets:
External Cross Reference Source : Scheduled Monument Legacy (County No.)
External Cross Reference Number : NF 387
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : SMR Number (Norfolk)
External Cross Reference Number : 8814
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : National Monuments Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : TF 90 SE 3
External Cross Reference Notes :

Related Warden Records :
Related Activities :
Associated Activities : FIELD OBSERVATION ON TF 90 SE 3
Activity type : FIELD OBSERVATION (VISUAL ASSESSMENT)
Start Date : 1973-01-24
End Date : 1973-01-24
Associated Activities : FIELD OBSERVATION ON TF 90 SE 3
Activity type : FIELD OBSERVATION (VISUAL ASSESSMENT)
Start Date : 1981-06-15
End Date : 1981-06-15
Associated Activities : SS PETER & PAUL VC PRIMARY SCHOOL
Activity type : EVALUATION
Start Date : 1997-01-01
End Date : 1997-12-31
Associated Activities : CARBROOKE VC PRIMARY SCHOOL
Activity type : EXCAVATION
Start Date : 1998-01-01
End Date : 1998-12-31
Associated Activities : CARBROOKE CEVC SCHOOL
Activity type : WATCHING BRIEF
Start Date : 2011-01-01
End Date : 2011-12-31