HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Historic England research records Result
Historic England research recordsPrintable version | About Historic England research records

Historic England Research Records

Dovery Court

Hob Uid: 35861
Location :
Somerset
Somerset West and Taunton
Porlock
Grid Ref : SS8881046750
Summary : Dovery Court is thought to have originated in the late 15th century on the site of an older house. It was extended in the 17th century. It was restored in 1893 and used as a reading room and library. It is now in use as a museum and information centre.
More information : Dovery Court, in Dover Hay, built probably in the latter half of the 15th century or earlier, stands on the site of a still older house, the chamfered stone base of which was uncovered
in places during the partial restoration of the present house.
Beneath the hall floor encaustic tiles, dated to no earlier than
1450, have been found. There was formerly a pitched stone court in front of the house, now buried beneath the roadway, and opposite, remains of other substantial buildings bearing traces of fire.

[See Illustrations Card.] (1)

At SS 8881 4675, this house is now used as a Reading Room and Library, it was very much restored in 1893 (date stone over door) and it is not of outstanding architectural interest.
See G.P. AO/65/176/2. (2)

II* Doverhay Reading Room

Formerly Manor House. Interesting example of small 15th century manor house. Restored and with some later alterations. Rough-cast on rubble, flush quoins, square stone end stacks, one on exposed chimney breast with off-sets, flat copings to end gables. Two-storey, L-shaped; salient exterior feature is large Perpendicular window of 4 lights, moulded stone mullions and single transom, richly traceried with square head and drip-mould, iron saddle bars and stanchions. Square head 2-light casement above with moulded stone mullions. Other windows in S. elevation and inward-facing N. elevation include leaded casements with carved oak frames and Perpendicular head tracery. Four-centred arch moulded stone doorframe. Interior features include good open stone fireplace to ground floor, stone staircase to 1st floor, open timber roof of three 1/2-bays with arched principals, collar beams, 3 purlins, moulded wall plates; restored. Stone-walled forecourt with wall enclosing also later cottage abutting N. end elevation of Reading Room. (3)

Doverhay Manor House, a fragment of a 15th century manor house, much restored and remodelled in 1883. (4)

(SS 88814675) Dovery Reading Rooms (NAT) (5)

SS8846 PORLOCK CP DOVERHAY

24/48 Doverhay Reading Room and cottage abutting north end 22.5.69 - II*

Manor house, now dwelling, museum and information centre. Late C15, extended possibly C17, extensively restored c1895 by Edmund Buckle. Roughcast over rubble, exposed (right) gable end, quoins, slate roofs, coped verges to main block, external stone stack right in gable end rising at rear of main block. L-plan: central hall with addition left, cross wing projecting right. One and half and two storeys, lower independently roofed addition left with 19th century casement rising through eaves, pentice hood to 3-light bay window, door to right with pentice porch; main block, first floor 2-light ovolo moulded mullion window, ground floor good 8-light mullioned and transomed Perpendicular window under hood mould with 19th century ferramentae, depressed 4-centred arch moulded doorframe right, independently roofed wing right, stair light gable end, leaded casements with carved oak frames and
Perpendicular tracery, extensively renewed late C19. Interior:
partially sighted, hall fine ogee-headed lintel to fireplace
carried on shaped corbels, renewed 6-panel compartment ceiling, stone newel stair, ogee headed doorframe, arched wooden door frame in upper storey with exposed 3-bay arch braced roof, moulded wall plate; wing not seen. Restored at the expense of Sir Charles Chadwyck-Healey. (Photograph in NMR). (6)

Additional Bibliography. (7)

Sources :
Source Number : 1
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : Hist. of Part of W. Somer 1901 Photo plan (C.H. Chadwyk Healey)
Page(s) : 297-300
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 2
Source : Field Investigators Comments
Source details : F1 GHP 09-JUL-65
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 3
Source : List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest
Source details : DOE(HHR)R.D. Of Williton, Somerset, Mar 1962, 64.
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 4
Source : South and west Somerset
Source details :
Page(s) : 275-6
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 5
Source : Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date)
Source details : OS 1:2500 1973
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 6
Source : List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest
Source details : DOE(HHR) West Somer Dist (Exford et al) Somer 02.01.86 26
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 7
Source : Somerset archaeology and natural history : the proceedings of the Somersetshire Archaeological and Natural History Society
Source details :
Page(s) : 31-2
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 52, 1906

Monument Types:
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : Built C15
Monument End Date : 1499
Monument Start Date : 1400
Monument Type : Manor House
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Extended C17
Monument End Date : 1699
Monument Start Date : 1600
Monument Type : Manor House
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Restored in 1893 and change of use
Monument End Date : 1893
Monument Start Date : 1893
Monument Type : Reading Room, Library
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : 20th Century
Display Date : Change of use
Monument End Date :
Monument Start Date :
Monument Type : Museum, Information Centre
Evidence : Extant Building

Components and Objects:
Related Records from other datasets:
External Cross Reference Source : National Monuments Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : SS 84 NE 11
External Cross Reference Notes :

Related Warden Records :
Related Activities :
Associated Activities : Primary, FIELD OBSERVATION ON SS 84 NE 11
Activity type : FIELD OBSERVATION (VISUAL ASSESSMENT)
Start Date : 1965-07-09
End Date : 1965-07-09