HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Historic England research records Result
Historic England research recordsPrintable version | About Historic England research records

Historic England Research Records

Bankdown

Hob Uid: 36137
Location :
Somerset
Somerset West and Taunton
Cutcombe
Grid Ref : SS8816040120
Summary : The remains of a post medieval farm and mill. A main group of buildings and two other buildings are visible as ruins in various states of decay.
More information : Remains of stone-built farm and mill buildings situated on the south
east side of Codsend Moor. The site is approached from the east alonga former road, now a track, from the hamlet of Codsend.
A main group of buildings and two other building are visible as ruins
in various states of decay. Are are clearly discernible.
"A" SS 8816 4012. The main group; consisting of a long range
alongside the track on its south side, with another range heading
south from its west end, making an L-shape. In the angle of the L is
an enclosed yard with a small building at its east corner (see sketch
plan).
The mill machinery was situated in the west range alongside a stream.
Water power was provided by two streams draining due south and south
east off Codsend Moor, augmented by an artificial leat taken off the
River Quarme 700 metres west at around SS 8746 4007. The leat joined
the south east flowing stream at SS 8807 4018 and is still visible, asa silted channel with upcast bank on the downslope, for much of its
course. AT SS 8813 4015 the streams joined and just below the
confluence are the remains of a small holding pond which abuts the
trackway on the south. A headrace culverted under the trackway is
visible leading south east towards the west range and there is also a
side channel leading off it west to the stream; presumably a regulatoror divestor of flow. The headrace leads into a small building which
housed an overshot or high breast-shot wheel, part of the wheel pit isvisible though now largely filled with rubble. The wheel dimensions
are estimated at c. 4 metres maximum diameter and 1 metre width acrossthe buckets. The covering building appears to be an after-thought to
the main west range. Immediately east of the wheel room is another
small room with the remains of a wooden shaft and a fragment of
millstone. The tail race is culverted underground and emerges at SS
8814 4010 on the edge of an artificial platform. From here water
dropped back to the stream.
"B" SS 8018 4014. On the north side of the trackway is a stone-built
barn entered through a waggon-door with a brick faced arch over. Its
west gable remains 3.5 metres high. A dog kennel has been built into
the south wall of its west end.
"C" SS 8021 4010. On the south side of the trackway is a small
building, possibly a cottage, with two small yards or gardens
adjacent. (10)

Sources :
Source Number : 1
Source : Externally held archive reference
Source details : Somerset C C SMR dated 10-MAR-86
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 2
Source : Somerset Record Society [series]
Source details : Day and Masters Map of Somerset 1782. Greenwoods Map of Somerset 1822.
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 76, 1981
Source Number : 3
Source : Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date)
Source details : OS 2" Drawing 1803-4
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 4
Source : Externally held archive reference
Source details : Somerset County Record Office: Cutcombe and Exford Inclosure Map and Award 1804 CR 163
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 5
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : The waters of Exmoor 1978 15, 58-59 (N V Allen)
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 6
Source : Somerset archaeology and natural history : the proceedings of the Somersetshire Archaeological and Natural History Society
Source details : M Aston
Page(s) : 90
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 127, 1983
Source Number : 7
Source : Externally held archive reference
Source details : Somerset County Record Office: Cutcombe Tithe Map and Award 1842 D/D/RT 349
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 8
Source : Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date)
Source details : OS 25" 1889
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 9
Source : Aerial photograph
Source details : OS 73/109/963-5
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :

Monument Types:
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Post Medieval
Monument End Date : 1901
Monument Start Date : 1540
Monument Type : Mill, Farm
Evidence : Ruined Building

Components and Objects:
Related Records from other datasets:
External Cross Reference Source : SMR Number (Somerset)
External Cross Reference Number : 33513
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : National Monuments Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : SS 84 SE 65
External Cross Reference Notes :

Related Warden Records :
Associated Monuments : 1472990
Relationship type : General association
Associated Monuments : 1473591
Relationship type : General association

Related Activities :
Associated Activities : Primary, FIELD OBSERVATION ON SS 84 SE 63
Activity type : FIELD OBSERVATION (VISUAL ASSESSMENT)
Start Date : 1988-02-24
End Date : 1988-02-24