HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Historic England research records Result
Historic England research recordsPrintable version | About Historic England research records

Historic England Research Records

Kimbolton Castle

Hob Uid: 363151
Location :
Cambridgeshire
Huntingdonshire
Kimbolton
Grid Ref : TL1008067610
Summary : Large country house, incorporating parts of a 16th/17th century building, restored 1690-5 and remodelled by Vanbrugh between 1707-10. The plan consists of four ranges set around a central courtyard, with corner towers to the north and west elevations. The house has been the property of Kimbolton School since 1950. It stands on the site of a 12th century fortified house or castle, first documented in 1217 and described in 1279 as a 'fortalace'.
More information : (TL 10086761) Castle (NR) (1)

Kimbolton Castle, originally Md, rebuilt in 1525 and again in 1617-20, was remodelled in 1690 and then by Vanbrugh between 1707 and 1714(2). Now the property of Kimbolton Grammar School (3).

The 18thc building is still owned and occupied by Kimbolton Grammar School. There are no extant Md remains. Grade I, 22/2. (4)

No change since report of 24.6.71. See photographs. (5)

Kimbolton School (formerly listed as Kimbolton Castle). Large Country House, the present external appearance is substantially due to Sir John Vanbrugh who in 1707-10 remodelled the c16 and c17 home which had been built on a c12 moated site. Vanbrugh was assisted by Nicholas Hawksmoor and the Clerk of the works was William Coleman of Kimbolton. Grade 1 (see list for details) (6)

Site of a double-moated quadrangular castle extant in 1217-1373. (7)

Additional bibliographic reference. (8)

Large country house, incorporating parts of a 16th/17th century building, restored 1690-5 and remodelled by Vanbrugh between 1707-10. The plan consists of four ranges set around a central courtyard, with corner towers to the north and west elevations. The house has been the property of Kimbolton School since 1950. It stands on the site of a 12th century fortified house or castle, first documented in 1217 and described in 1279 as a 'fortalace'. (9-10)

Sources :
Source Number : 1
Source : Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date)
Source details : OS 6" 1959.
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 2
Source : An inventory of the historical monuments in Huntingdonshire
Source details :
Page(s) : 170-1
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 3
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : BBAA 31 Oct 1950, 3.
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 4
Source : List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest
Source details : DOE(HHR) St Neots Beds Aug 1946 12
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 6
Source : Field Investigators Comments
Source details : F2 GJM 01-JUN-77
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 7
Source : List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest
Source details : DOE(HHR) Dist of Huntingdon Cambs 1983 3-4
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 8
Source : Castellarium anglicanum : an index and bibliography of the castles in England, Wales and the islands. Volume I : Anglesey - Montgomery
Source details :
Page(s) : 225
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 9
Source : Greater Medieval Houses of England and Wales 1300-1500, Volume II: East Anglia, Central England and Wales
Source details :
Page(s) : 264
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 10
Source : The Victoria history of the county of Huntingdon, volume 3
Source details :
Page(s) : 77-79
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :

Monument Types:
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : Extant 1217
Monument End Date : 1217
Monument Start Date : 1217
Monument Type : Castle, Fortified House, Moat
Evidence : Documentary Evidence
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : C17
Monument End Date : 1699
Monument Start Date : 1600
Monument Type : House
Evidence : Extant Building, Documentary Evidence
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : 1642/1687
Monument End Date : 1687
Monument Start Date : 1642
Monument Type : Country House, Hall House, Chapel, Gatehouse, Stable, Courtyard
Evidence : Documentary Evidence
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Restored/rebuilt 1690-5
Monument End Date : 1695
Monument Start Date : 1690
Monument Type : Country House
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Rebuilt/remodelled 1707-10
Monument End Date : 1710
Monument Start Date : 1707
Monument Type : Country House
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : c1766
Monument End Date : 1776
Monument Start Date : 1756
Monument Type : Gatehouse
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : 20th Century
Display Date : From 1950
Monument End Date : 1950
Monument Start Date : 1950
Monument Type : School
Evidence : Extant Building

Components and Objects:
Related Records from other datasets:
External Cross Reference Source : Listed Building List Entry Legacy Uid
External Cross Reference Number : 394698
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : National Monuments Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : TL 16 NW 2
External Cross Reference Notes :

Related Warden Records :
Associated Monuments : 871148
Relationship type :
Associated Monuments : 871149
Relationship type :
Associated Monuments : 1587502
Relationship type :

Related Activities :
Associated Activities : Primary, FIELD OBSERVATION ON TL 16 NW 2
Activity type : FIELD OBSERVATION (VISUAL ASSESSMENT)
Start Date : 1977-06-01
End Date : 1977-06-01