HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Historic England research records Result
Historic England research recordsPrintable version | About Historic England research records

Historic England Research Records

Bickleigh Castle

Hob Uid: 36331
Location :
Devon
Mid Devon
Bickleigh
Grid Ref : SS9365006800
Summary : Remains of a moated and fortified manor house, originating in the 12th century but rebuilt in the 15th century. The gatehouse range is probably early 15th century in date, with 16th and 17th century alterations, and was restored in the 1920s and 1930s. It forms the eastern range of a complex of buildings set around a courtyard. The west range no longer survives above ground and the south range is now a private house (See SS 90 NW 8). The northern range probably dates from the late 17th century and was in use as a farmhouse before its restoration in the 1930s. The castle chapel is probably 12th century in date and was renovated in 1929.
More information : [SS 93650680] Bickleigh Castle Remains of MANSION [LB] [SS 93690680] CHAPEL [LB] (restored) (1)

Bickleigh Castle (so called), on the west bank of the Exe, was a moated and fortified manor house, of which the gatehouse range is the chief remnant to-day. A fortified house of the Bickliegh family existed here in the 12th c. Work of this period may be seen in the bases of the imposts in the gatehouse, and in the small chapel immediately across the lane. Bickleigh came to the Courtenays of Powderham, who used it as an estate for younger sons, and it was they who rebuilt the Norman house early in the 15thc. There are traces of the former great hall, and north of the gatehouse is a portion of the old moat, now mostly filled up. The gatehouse, which has a vaulted entry (c. 1400 in date), was reconstructed in the 17th c. by the Carews. The house later degenerated into a farmhouse, but was rescued after the sale of the Carew properties in 1922 and restored to its present form. (2)

The chapel was reconstituted, refurnished and rededicated by the previous owners. See Illustrations Card. (3)

The gatehouse is of outstanding architectural interest. See G.Ps. The chapel was granted a licence for private worship in 1932 but has no dedications. An ornamental moat has been built along the E. side in recent times but there are no traces of an original feature. (4)

Castle and chapel both Grade 1 buildings. (5)

Bickleigh Castle. The Gatehouse range of the fortified manor house is probably early 15th century with 16th century and 17th century alterations. it is the East facing range of a complex of buildings with a courtyard to the rear of the gatehouse. The West range has now disappeared above ground; the South range [Old Court, SS 90 NW 8] is now a separate property. The Gatehouse is listed Grade I. The north range, adjoining the Gatehouse is probably late 17th century and is a former farmhouse, Listed Grade II. Bickleigh Castle chapel, restored in 1929 has 12th century fabric in the nave and chancel, and a 15th century chancel roof. It is Listed Grade II*. (6,7)

Listed as a strong house by Cathcart King. (8)

Sources :
Source Number : 1
Source : Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date)
Source details : OS 6" 1962
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 2
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : New Survey of England Series..Devon 1954 p 334 (W.G. Hoskins)
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 3
Source : Annotated Record Map
Source details : SS 6" (D.R. Arthur, Reviser, Feb 1958)
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 3a
Source : Oral information, correspondence (not archived) or staff comments
Source details : B. Owen Esq., Owner.
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 4
Source : Field Investigators Comments
Source details : F1 JP 03-AUG-67
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 5
Source : List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest
Source details : DOE(HHR) Tiverton RD Devon June 1959 4
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 6
Source : List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest
Source details : DOE (HHR) District of Mid Devon. Aug-1987 (1-5)
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 7
Source : Devon
Source details :
Page(s) : 170-1
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 8
Source : Castellarium anglicanum : an index and bibliography of the castles in England, Wales and the islands. Volume I : Anglesey - Montgomery
Source details :
Page(s) : 121
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :

Monument Types:
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : C12
Monument End Date : 1199
Monument Start Date : 1100
Monument Type : Fortified Manor House, Domestic Chapel, Gatehouse, Moat
Evidence : Extant Building, Earthwork
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : Early C15
Monument End Date : 1432
Monument Start Date : 1400
Monument Type : Fortified Manor House, Gatehouse
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : C15
Monument End Date : 1499
Monument Start Date : 1400
Monument Type : Domestic Chapel
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Late C17
Monument End Date : 1699
Monument Start Date : 1667
Monument Type : Fortified Manor House
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Post C17
Monument End Date :
Monument Start Date : 1700
Monument Type : Farmhouse
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : 20th Century
Display Date : Pre 1929
Monument End Date : 1929
Monument Start Date :
Monument Type : Cow House, Hayloft
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : 20th Century
Display Date : Restored 1920s/30s
Monument End Date : 1939
Monument Start Date : 1920
Monument Type : Gatehouse, House, Chapel
Evidence : Extant Building

Components and Objects:
Related Records from other datasets:
External Cross Reference Source : Listed Building List Entry Legacy Uid
External Cross Reference Number : 96620
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : Listed Building List Entry Legacy Uid
External Cross Reference Number : 96619
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : Listed Building List Entry Legacy Uid
External Cross Reference Number : 96623
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : National Monuments Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : SS 90 NW 2
External Cross Reference Notes :

Related Warden Records :
Associated Monuments : 36341
Relationship type : Is referred to by

Related Activities :
Associated Activities : Primary, FIELD OBSERVATION ON SS 90 NW 2
Activity type : FIELD OBSERVATION (VISUAL ASSESSMENT)
Start Date : 1967-08-03
End Date : 1967-08-03