HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Historic England research records Result
Historic England research recordsPrintable version | About Historic England research records

Historic England Research Records

Ford Castle

Hob Uid: 3646
Location :
Northumberland
Ford
Grid Ref : NT9442037520
Summary : Ford Castle is an early example of a quadrangular or courtyard castle. It later became a country house and is now a field study centre. Granted a licence to crenellate in 1338 it is the earliest quadrangular castle in Northumberland. Of the four original corner towers, three are surviving. The castle was converted into a mansion 1694 and given Gothic style detailing in 1761 by George Raffield for Sir John Hussey Deleval. It was restored to 17th century style and a new north wall added, as well as internal alterations in the mid-19th century by David Bryce for Louisa, Marchioness of Waterford. It is constructed mainly of ashlar with medieval squared stone and stone slate and graduated Lakeland slate roofs.
More information : [NT 94423752] Ford Castle. [L.B.] (Remains of)
[NT 94393753] King James's Tower [L.B.] (1)

Crenellated in 1338. It is of the quadrilateral type with four corner towers, three of which survive.King James's, the largest, is at the N.W. corner, the S.W.tower is isolated, and that at the N.E corner submerged in later buildings. The fourth has gone completely. The N range is Elizabethan, but was largely rebuilt, together with the forecourt and gateway in 1861. (2)

The N and W curtain walls remain. (3)

The buildings now serve as a field study centre for the Northum Education Committee and are generally correctly described. Remains of the curtain are incorporated in the N range and W wall of the forecourt. The probable site of the S E tower, and E wall are marked by an ornamental platform at NT 94453751. See GP AO/55/376/1 for King James's and S W towers. (4)

Ford Castle, grade 2*. (5)

Ford Castle. Grade I. Country house, now field centre. C14 (licence to crenellate 1338), converted into mansion 1694, given Gothick detail 1761 by George Raffield for Sir John Hussey Deleval. Restored to C17 style, new N wall added and altered internally from 1862 by David Bryce for Louisa, Marchioness of Waterford.

Flagpole Tower and forecourt wall attached to it. Grade I. Tower, formerly the SW corner tower of the quadrilateral castle but now detached. Restored and top floor renewed 1862.

Portcullis Gate, Armoury Tower and forecourt walls to Ford Castle. Grade I. 1791 by Nisbet of Kelso for Sir John Hussey Delevel incorporating early, possibly C16 or C17 masonry in the walls.

East Gateway, East Forecourt Wall and Handyman's Cottage. Grade II*. 1791 by J Nisbet for Sir John Hussey Delevel. Cottage added c.1862 probably by David Bryce. Ashlar. Gothick style.

North Forecourt Wall and Gateway with laundry and service wing attached to rear. Grade II*. 1791 by J Nibet and mid-late C19. (6)

Main events in the castle's history listed by Cathcart King. (7)

Ford was the earliest examople of a quadrangular, or `courtyard' castle built in Northumberland, building commencing in 1338. It replaced an earlier fortified residence built after 1288. (8)

Additional reference and photograph. (9)

Sources :
Source Number : 1
Source : Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date)
Source details : OS 1:2500 1964
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 2
Source : Northumberland
Source details :
Page(s) : 155
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 3
Source : Northumberland County History
Source details : (Ed. M.Hope Dodds)
Page(s) : 410-25
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : Nov-22
Source Number : 4
Source : Field Investigators Comments
Source details : F1 RWE 10-JAN-67
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 5
Source : List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest
Source details : DOE(HHR) Glendale RD Northum Aug 1949 8
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 6
Source : List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest
Source details : DOE Listed Buildings Boro of Berwick Upon Tweed 1988 56-60
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 7
Source : Castellarium anglicanum : an index and bibliography of the castles in England, Wales and the Islands. Volume II : Norfolk-Yorkshire and the islands
Source details :
Page(s) : 333
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : Feb-83
Source Number : 8
Source : Bastions and Belligerents: Medieval Strongholds in Northumberland
Source details :
Page(s) : 84-7
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 9
Source : England's Landscape: The North East
Source details :
Page(s) : 65
Figs. : 4.11
Plates :
Vol(s) :

Monument Types:
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : Extant after 1288
Monument End Date :
Monument Start Date : 1288
Monument Type : Fortified House
Evidence : Documentary Evidence
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : Crenellated 1338
Monument End Date : 1338
Monument Start Date : 1338
Monument Type : Quadrangular Castle
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Converted 1694
Monument End Date : 1694
Monument Start Date : 1694
Monument Type : Country House
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : restored 1761
Monument End Date : 1761
Monument Start Date : 1761
Monument Type : Country House
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : restored 1862
Monument End Date : 1862
Monument Start Date : 1862
Monument Type : Country House
Evidence : Extant Building

Components and Objects:
Related Records from other datasets:
External Cross Reference Source : Listed Building List Entry Legacy Uid
External Cross Reference Number : 238054
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : NBR Index Number
External Cross Reference Number : 60030
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : National Monuments Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : NT 93 NW 5
External Cross Reference Notes :

Related Warden Records :
Related Activities :
Associated Activities : Primary, FIELD OBSERVATION ON NT 93 NW 5
Activity type : FIELD OBSERVATION (VISUAL ASSESSMENT)
Start Date : 1967-01-10
End Date : 1967-01-10