HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Historic England research records Result
Historic England research recordsPrintable version | About Historic England research records

Historic England Research Records

Barlinch Priory

Hob Uid: 36537
Location :
Somerset
Somerset West and Taunton
Brompton Regis
Grid Ref : SS9292028980
Summary : The ruined remains of St Nicholas's Priory, an Augustinian priory founded between 1154 and 1189 and dissolved in 1537, are visible as walling attached to Barlynch farmhouse. The farmhouse itself mainly dates to the 17th and 18th centuries. A survey by the RCHME confirmed the existence of the remains of parts of the priory church, fragments of the east and south cloister range, and a third building. From these fragments and the layout of later farm buildings, an outline ground plan of the monastic layout has been put forward. In addition, the earthwork remains of a leat supplying the priory were traced, as well as a well preserved fishpond. Other earthworks may represent the site of a dovecote and the gatehouse range.
More information : SS 92922898 Barlinch Abbey (remains of) (NAT)
St Nicholas's Priory (NR) (Augustinian - founded 12th Century). (1)

Very little remains of Barlinch Priory. When digging the foundations of a cottage some vaults were found paved with encaustic tiles which may have been the crypt of the church. (2)

The remains also include a lofty wall running towards the river which appeared to be the S wall of the church and the thick fence-wall N of it occupied probably the position of the original N wall. Two large blocks of masonry probably represent the E side of the cloister but about the only architectural feature remaining is a small piece of tracery from one of the windows inserted in the modern wall of a building attached to the farmhouse. (3)

Barlinch Priory of Augustinian Canons. Founded temp. Henry ll (1154-1189). Dissolved c. 1537. (4)

Scheduled, Somerset 182. (5)

The remains of the Priory, at SS 92892896, are as described above. (See GP AO/65/186/4). (6)

26/11 Barlynch Farm House (including remains of St Nicholas Priory). Listed Grade 2. The farmhouse itself is probably mainly C.17/C.18 but the fabric may incorporate parts of the medieval Priory of St Nicholas, a branch "cell" of Cleeve Abbey. Other fragmentary remains are mentioned below.
The farmhouse has creamwashed rubble walling, later slate roof on two levels, eaves, end gables. Salient features are 2 tall square rubble stacks rising from projecting chimney breasts with off-sets. Two-storey, 4 windows, wooden casements with glazing bars, except two leaded-light iron casements.
Running eastwards from the end of the farmhouse is a stretch of ruined rubble walling in which are the lower halves of two window openings. This is probably part of the original Priory fabric. Extending northwards from an outbuilding in the rear of the farmhouse are further lengths of ruined walling (one of which is pierced by a plain pointed-arch opening) and fragments of rubble masonry. There appear to be no surviving worked stones and all these ruins are heavily overgrown. Ruins are Ancient Monuments.

Apart from the archaeological interest of the sites, the farmhouse constitutes a picturesque roadside feature in the thickly wooded Exe valley. (7)

Priory of St Nicholas, claimed to be founded by William de Say. Dugdale (a) says the Priory was founded temp Henry II (1154-89), and the first recorded prior was temp. Bishop Reginald (1174-91) (9). It was suppressed before July 1537. (8 & 9)

Additional Bibliography. (10 - 12)

The site of the Priory of St Nicholas, Barlynch was surveyed in March 1999 by the RCHME at the request of the Exmoor National Park Authority. The survey confirmed the existence of the remains of parts of the priory church, fragments of the east and south cloister range, and a third building. From these fragments and the layout of later farm buildings, an outline ground plan of the monastic layout has been put forward. In addition, the earthwork remains of a leat supplying the priory were traced, as well as a well preserved fishpond. Other earthworks may represent the site of a dovecote and the gatehouse range. For further details see archive report. (13 and 14)

Cuatomer comment recieved November 2016: Site described as cell of Cleeve Abbey. Barlinch was Augustinian,Cleeve was Cistercian. Am not aware of any evidence of such a link between them. Believe this to be in error.(15)

Sources :
Source Number : 1
Source : Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date)
Source details : OS 6" 1962
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 2
Source : Somerset archaeology and natural history : the proceedings of the Somersetshire Archaeological and Natural History Society
Source details :
Page(s) : 78-9
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 29, 1883
Source Number : 10
Source : Somerset archaeology and natural history : the proceedings of the Somersetshire Archaeological and Natural History Society
Source details : (Rev F W Weaver)
Page(s) : 79-106
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 54, 1908
Source Number : 11
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : Barlinch Priory 1908 (F W Weaver)
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 12
Source : Somerset archaeology and natural history : the proceedings of the Somersetshire Archaeological and Natural History Society
Source details :
Page(s) : 8
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 98, 1953
Source Number : 13
Source : Field Investigators Comments
Source details : R Wilson-North March 1999 RCHME Field Investigation
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 14
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : `The Priory of St Nicholas, Barlynch, Brompton Regis, Somerset' by R Wilson-North RCHME Survey Report 1999
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number :
Source : Barlynch
Source details :
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number :
Source : Barlynch/pencil survey
Source details :
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number :
Source : Barlynch/ink survey
Source details :
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number :
Source : Barlynch
Source details :
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 3
Source : Somerset archaeology and natural history : the proceedings of the Somersetshire Archaeological and Natural History Society
Source details : (Col Bramble)
Page(s) : 34
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 46, 1900
Source Number : 4
Source : Medieval religious houses : England and Wales
Source details :
Page(s) : 126
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 5
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : DOE (IAM) AMs Eng 2 1978 121
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 6
Source : Field Investigators Comments
Source details : F1 GHP 17-AUG-65
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 7
Source : List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest
Source details : DOE (HHR) Dulverton RD Somer Sept 1955 3
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 8
Source : Medieval religious houses in England and Wales
Source details :
Page(s) : 138,146
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 8a
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : Monasticon Anglicanum (Dugdale) 1846 (Ed J Caley et al)
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 9
Source : The Victoria history Somerset, volume two
Source details :
Page(s) : 132-4
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :

Monument Types:
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : Founded between 1154 and 1189
Monument End Date : 1189
Monument Start Date : 1154
Monument Type : Augustinian Monastery, Priory, Church, Cloister, Gatehouse, Dovecote
Evidence : Ruined Building, Earthwork
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : Dissolved 1537
Monument End Date : 1537
Monument Start Date : 1537
Monument Type : Augustinian Monastery, Priory, Church, Cloister, Gatehouse, Dovecote
Evidence : Ruined Building, Earthwork
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Built C17 and C18
Monument End Date : 1799
Monument Start Date : 1600
Monument Type : Farmhouse
Evidence : Extant Building

Components and Objects:
Related Records from other datasets:
External Cross Reference Source : SMR Number (Somerset)
External Cross Reference Number : 33365
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : Scheduled Monument Legacy (County No.)
External Cross Reference Number : SO 182
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : NBR Index Number
External Cross Reference Number : 99/01495
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : NBR Index Number
External Cross Reference Number : 1269066
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : NBR Index Number
External Cross Reference Number : 1269089
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : National Monuments Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : SS 92 NW 6
External Cross Reference Notes :

Related Warden Records :
Associated Monuments : 1132534
Relationship type : General association

Related Activities :
Associated Activities : Primary, FIELD OBSERVATION ON SS 92 NW 6
Activity type : FIELD OBSERVATION (VISUAL ASSESSMENT)
Start Date : 1965-08-17
End Date : 1965-08-17
Associated Activities : Primary, BARLYNCH PRIORY
Activity type : WATCHING BRIEF
Start Date : 2001-01-01
End Date : 2001-12-31