HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Historic England research records Result
Historic England research recordsPrintable version | About Historic England research records

Historic England Research Records

Monument Number 36639

Hob Uid: 36639
Location :
Somerset
Somerset West and Taunton
Treborough
Grid Ref : SS9945036030
Summary : The site of the deserted Medieval farmstead of Hazelry. The farmstead was mentioned in 1327 documentary sources. The site of a possible longhouse, farmhouse and abandoned field banks are visible as earthworks. Also associated with the farmstead are the fragmented remains of a water meadow system surviving as earthworks and mapped from aerial photographs.
More information : Deserted Farm site, Hazery, Treborough, SS 995360.
Earthworks include a probable long house and extensive abandoned
field banks. (Remains of the long house are shown on OS 6" 1962
at SS 99583595; 'Hazery Plantation' is adjacent. Aston implies
likely dating back to medieval times). (1-2)

SS 996360. Deserted farmstead of Hazery, in the 1327 Lay Subsidy
(a) by the entry of Hugh de Herlyngeswithe and Henry of the same.
On the 1841 Tithe Map (b) it was an estate of 170 acres with
farmhouse. There are clear earthworks of a range of buildings
aligned east-west on the north side of a stream. There is a barn
with round pillars to the east and the farmhouse probably stood
to the west of this, where there is a large platform with a
large stone slab in the centre. (M Aston, fieldwork 9th May 1976
and 15th March 1977). (3)

Associated with the deserted medieval farmstead described by the previous authorities are the fragmented remains of a water meadow system surviving as a few ditches running parallel with the hillside. These were seen as earthworks and mapped from aerial photographs. (4)

Sources :
Source Number : 1
Source : Somerset archaeology and natural history : the proceedings of the Somersetshire Archaeological and Natural History Society
Source details : (M Aston)
Page(s) : 119
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 121, 1977
Source Number : 2
Source : Medieval Village Research Group annual report
Source details : (M Aston)
Page(s) : 15
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 25, 1977
Source Number : 3
Source : Somerset archaeology and natural history : the proceedings of the Somersetshire Archaeological and Natural History Society
Source details : (M Aston)
Page(s) : 100
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 127, 1983
Source Number : 3a
Source : Somerset Record Society [series]
Source details : Kirby's Quest for Somerset (Ed F H Dickinson)
Page(s) : 248
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 3, 1889
Source Number : 3b
Source : Externally held archive reference
Source details : Treborough Tithe Map 1841 (SRO D/D/Rt 362)
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 4
Source : Vertical aerial photograph reference number
Source details : HSL 71 177/8809-10 07-SEP-1971
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :

Monument Types:
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : mentioned
Monument End Date :
Monument Start Date : 1327
Monument Type : Water Meadow, Farmstead, Farmhouse, Longhouse, Field Boundary
Evidence : Earthwork, Conjectural Evidence

Components and Objects:
Related Records from other datasets:
External Cross Reference Source : SMR Number (Somerset)
External Cross Reference Number : 34138
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : National Monuments Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : SS 93 NE 18
External Cross Reference Notes :

Related Warden Records :
Related Activities :
Associated Activities : Primary, RCHME: BRENDON HILLS MAPPING PROJECT, NMP
Activity type : AERIAL PHOTOGRAPH INTERPRETATION
Start Date : 1998-01-01
End Date : 1998-10-01