HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Historic England research records Result
Historic England research recordsPrintable version | About Historic England research records

Historic England Research Records

East Myne

Hob Uid: 36842
Location :
Somerset
Somerset West and Taunton
Minehead Without
Grid Ref : SS9301648259
Summary : The remains of a deserted Medieval and/or Post Medieval farmstead is visible as a group of ruinous buildings. The original date of the now deserted farmstead of East Myne is unknown but it was occupied at the end of the 19th century when it was depicted on the 1889 Ordnance Survey map. The site now comprises a collection of substantial ruined buildings approached by a hollow way from the west of the site. The area was requisitioned during the Second World War and part of the site was used for tank training (SS 94 NW 114). The farmstead is associated with a possible water meadow located to the southeast which is recorded as SS 94 NW 62.
More information : (SS 92984829) East Myne (NAT) (1)

SS 929483. Deserted farmstead of East Myne. It was shown as a
farmstead on the 1843 Tithe Map (a), but was deserted in World War II
when a tank range was created in the area. There are ruined buildingson the site. This is one of three candidates for the deserted site of Myne,
mentioned in Domesday (see also SS 94 NW 24 and 28). (2)

A further candidate for Mene or Myne is recorded by the SMR at SS
93054860 - see SS 94 NW 65. (3)

East Myne is centred at SS 9298 4829 at the head of the western arm of Grexy Combe. It therefore occupies a sheltered and favourable location at 230 m.
The original date of East Myne farm is unknown, but it was clearly occupied at the end of the 19th century when the farm buildings are shown in use on the Ordnance Survey 1st edition 25" mapping of 1889 (sheet Somerset 34.3). The local farmer (Mr Knight, Wydon Farm, Minehead, Somerset) states that the farm ceased to function as a unit in the early years of the 20th century, but the buildings continued to be occupied on an irregular basis. By 1940 the whole area was taken over by the army and used for tank training. A target railway associated with this phase (SS 94 NW 114) lies immediately to the north-east of the farm.
The site now consists of the ruins of the former farm approached by a hollow way; these features lie to the south of two modern farm sheds. The ruins are substantial and comprise random stone walls up to 3 m high, but more usually 1 m to 1.4 m. Although still upstanding, they are rapidly decaying due to natural agencies and farm animals from the nearby sheds. The remains can be precisely correlated with the OS mapping of 1889: A hollow way approaches the farm from the west and enters a courtyard with the farmhouse on its northern side. To the south are several barns and a well. The hollow way leaves the yard at its east end and runs north-eastwards past a garden and outlying barn towards the fields. (4)

The deserted farmstead referred to above (1-4) is visible as a group of ruinous buildings and earthworks on aerial photographs. The site is centred at SS 9298 4829 and covers an area that measures 162m long by 83m wide at its widest points. The site is as described above (4). The farmstead is associated with a possible water meadow located to the southeast which is recorded as SS 94 NW 62, UID 1119302. (5)

Sources :
Source Number : 1
Source : Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date)
Source details : OS 1:10000 1974
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 2a
Source : Externally held archive reference
Source details : Minehead Tithe Map 1843 (SRO D/D/RT 398)
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 2b
Source : Domesday Book, 8 : Somerset
Source details :
Page(s) : 24-25
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 3
Source : Somerset archaeology and natural history : the proceedings of the Somersetshire Archaeological and Natural History Society
Source details : (M Aston)
Page(s) : 77,82,95-96
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 127, 1983
Source Number : 4
Source : Oral information, correspondence (not archived) or staff comments
Source details : R1 DJG 04-FEB-87
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 5
Source : Oblique aerial photograph reference number
Source details : NMR SS 9348/15 (15865/11) 20-JAN-1998
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 5
Source : Field Investigators Comments
Source details : R Wilson-North 26 Feb 1998 RCHME Field Investigation
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :

Monument Types:
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : Medieval
Monument End Date : 1540
Monument Start Date : 1066
Monument Type : Farmstead
Evidence : Conjectural Evidence
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Post Medieval
Monument End Date : 1901
Monument Start Date : 1540
Monument Type : Farmstead
Evidence : Ruined Building
Monument Period Name : 20th Century
Display Date : World War II
Monument End Date : 1945
Monument Start Date : 1940
Monument Type : Military Training Site
Evidence : Earthwork

Components and Objects:
Related Records from other datasets:
External Cross Reference Source : SMR Number (Somerset)
External Cross Reference Number : 33796
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : National Monuments Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : SS 94 NW 29
External Cross Reference Notes :

Related Warden Records :
Associated Monuments : 1119302
Relationship type : General association
Associated Monuments : 1124052
Relationship type : General association

Related Activities :
Associated Activities : Primary, GLOUCESTERSHIRE COUNTY COUNCIL: SEVERN ESTUARY NMP, RAPID COASTAL ZONE ASSESSMENT SURVEY
Activity type : AERIAL PHOTOGRAPH INTERPRETATION
Start Date : 2006-04-10
End Date : 2008-11-01