HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Historic England research records Result
Historic England research recordsPrintable version | About Historic England research records

Historic England Research Records

Dunster Priory

Hob Uid: 36848
Location :
Somerset
Somerset West and Taunton
Dunster
Grid Ref : SS9903943672
Summary : The church of St. George was granted to the monks of Bath in 1090. There must have been a Benedictine cell there from the 12th century, but it had no separate existence until 1332 when it was to have a prior and four monks. It was dissolved in 1539. The outline of the precinct is bounded on the south by Church Street, on the west by St. Georges Street and on the east by the rear of the properties in High Street. The present buildings are but a fragment of the original and are in the form of an "L". The shorter piece, looking north, appears to have been the refectory in which there is a window dated not later than c.1380. The longer side of the "L" appears to have always been offices, and a cloister ran from the priory along the north side of the church, perhaps as far as the chapel of St. Lawrence.
More information : [SS 9900 4367] Remains of Benedictine Priory [NR] (1)

Dunster Priory, situated to the north of the church and abutting onto it, was built by the monks of Bath as a cell of their abbey. The present buildings are but a fragment of the original and are in the form of an "L". The shorter piece, looking north, appears to have been the refectory in which there is a window dated not later than c.1380. The longer side of the "L" appears to have always been offices, and a cloister ran from the priory along the north side of the church, perhaps as far as the chapel of St. Lawrence (2).

Benedictine Priory, founded 1090, dissolved 1539 (3). (2)(3)

The surviving remains of the priory are incorporated in the house described above. This has been greatly altered and rebuilt and is known as "The Old Priory" (see G.P. AO/65/124/8). Pevsner considers that it was the Prior's House. The only external feature of note is a window in the south wall (see G.P. AO/65/125/1). (4)

The church of St. George was granted to the monks of Bath in 1090. There must have been a cell there from the earliest times but it had no separate existence until 1332 when it was to have a prior and four monks. It was dissolved in 1539. The outline of the precinct bounded on the south by Church Street, on the west by St. Georges Street and on the east by the rear of the properties in High Street. Water was supplied to the Priory from St. Leonards Well (SS 94 SE 12). (5-7)

Nos 5 and 7, Grade II, Priory Green. Medieval in origin, embodying remains of Priory buildings, now largely 16th century, remodelled in 19th century when converted to cottages. (For full description see list.) (8)

Additional bibliography. (9)


Sources :
Source Number : 1
Source : Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date)
Source details : OS 25" 1929
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 2
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : Dunster Church and Priory 1905 43-4 (F Hancock)
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 8
Source : List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest
Source details : DOE (HHR) West Somerset District (Dunster Ph) Somerset 4th August 1983 31
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 9
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : Hist and Ants of the County of Somerset 2 1791 16-17 (J Collinson)
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 3
Source : Medieval religious houses : England and Wales
Source details :
Page(s) : 64
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 4
Source : Field Investigators Comments
Source details : F1 GHP 26-MAY-65
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 4a
Source : South and west Somerset
Source details :
Page(s) : 156
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 5
Source : The Victoria history Somerset, volume two
Source details :
Page(s) : 81-2
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 6
Source : Medieval religious houses in England and Wales
Source details :
Page(s) : 53,64
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 6b
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : Notitia Monastica 1744 467 (T Tanner)
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 6c
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : Traditio 1944 (J Cox Russell)
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 7
Source : Historic towns in Somerset
Source details :
Page(s) : 46, 48
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : no.2

Monument Types:
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : Extant
Monument End Date : 1332
Monument Start Date : 1090
Monument Type : Benedictine Cell
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : Extant
Monument End Date : 1539
Monument Start Date : 1332
Monument Type : Priory, Benedictine Monastery, Refectory, House
Evidence : Extant Building

Components and Objects:
Related Records from other datasets:
External Cross Reference Source : SMR Number (Somerset)
External Cross Reference Number : 33569
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : National Monuments Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : SS 94 SE 1
External Cross Reference Notes :

Related Warden Records :
Associated Monuments : 204213
Relationship type : General association
Associated Monuments : 36954
Relationship type :
Associated Monuments : 36948
Relationship type :
Associated Monuments : 36951
Relationship type :

Related Activities :
Associated Activities : Primary, FIELD OBSERVATION ON SS 94 SE 1
Activity type : FIELD OBSERVATION (VISUAL ASSESSMENT)
Start Date : 1965-05-26
End Date : 1965-05-26