HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Historic England research records Result
Historic England research recordsPrintable version | About Historic England research records

Historic England Research Records

The Round Moat

Hob Uid: 370942
Location :
Cambridgeshire
South Cambridgeshire
Fowlmere
Grid Ref : TL4230045800
Summary : A medieval ringwork, an adjacent pond and the buried remains of a medieval building associated with the site's water management system. The ringwork comprises a roughly oval stronghold, fortified by an earthen bank and an external ditch. The bank which forms a wider arc around the eastern side of the monument than to the west, encloses an area measuring about 95 metres north east to south west and 65 metres north west to south east. The interior slopes gently towards the north where the bank reaches a maximum height of about 2 metres, approximately 1 metre above the height recorded elsewhere around the perimeter. Material for the construction of the ramparts was quarried from an 8 metre wide external ditch, or moat, which completely encircled the ringwork. Despite the gradual accumulation of silts within the base, the ditch still reaches an average depth of circa 1.5 metres. The southern arc of the moat is largely dry, as was the remainder of the circumference until a channel was dug along the base in 1902. The channel has subsequently been recut and extended, and now carries water around approximately 75 per cent of the perimeter. The original water source has been built over by part of the residential development which surrounds all but the north eastern side of the ringwork. Within the interior of the ringwork is a small, dry, pond measuring 18 metres by 16 metres inaddition to the buried remains of a cobbled surface and a well. The north eastern arm of the ringwork is flanked by a large, roughly rectangular pond, measuring 110 metres north west-south east and between 25 metres and 35 metres north east-south west. The pond, which is currently dry, is thought to have been used as a fishpond, or for the purpose of attracting wildfowl, and is considered to be a later adjunct to the ringwork. Scheduled.
More information : (TL 423458) Round Moat (NR) (1)

This embanked and ditched oval enclosure covers an area of about an acre and is now covered with trees and vegetation. The moat was 30ft wide and 11ft deep before silting up, while the bank, which is strongest on the north side, attains a height of 6ft. The original entrance seems to have been on the north-west. In 1906 A.C Yorke excavated the site which from the scant finds discovered suggest a medieval date. The old name of the site was White's Close and the name of Robert White appears on the rent roll of 1447. In 1887, when the site was planted with trees, a well and a yard paved with cobbles were found. (2,3)

A sub-circular, strong, moated enclosure situated on level ground, with overall dimensions of 130.0m NE-SW by 100.0m NW-SE. The ditch is dry, with an average depth of 1.6m and width of 10.0m. There has been some recent recutting on the N side. On the inner edge of the ditch is a bank of average height 1.5m, broken in the S and W sides to allow access to the interior. The S entrance is formed by a causeway across the moat, and is probably original. The W entrance has no causeway and seems to be later.
On the outer edge of the ditch there is a bank, max height 0.3m, on the NW side. The water led from a ditch on the SW side and the outlet was through a stone culvert on the N side.

In a field to the NW there are two dry ponds, one of which is joined to the moat. They suggest an outer enclosure but appear to be of later date, and unconnected with the earthwork. An excavation in this field by P.J Murphy in 1975 produced evidence of medieval occupation but no outer enclosure (a).

Between the moat and the stream on the NE side is a sub-rectangular, dry fishpond, 110.0m long by 30.0m wide. It is banked on its NE, SE and SW sides and has a max depth of 1.5m in the S angle. The shallowness of the NW end is probably the result of silting, as a ditch has been cut across it from the moat outfall to the adjacent stream. The pond is probably a later adjunct to the moat.
No surface evidence of occupation could be found within the inner area of the moat, which is generally in good condition, although dense scrub and undergrowth made investigation difficult.
At TL 42364577 there is a small dry pond.
Published 25" survey revised. (4)

TL 444458 (SIC) Excavation by B Murphy concentrated on an enclosure 50m sq with water on 3 sides, which adjoined the moat. Finds from the excavations are deposited in the Museum of Archaeology and Ethnology, Cambridge. (5)

Excavations revealed a platform within the enclosure on which there were animal bones and C13 and C14 pottery. C12 St Neots Ware was also found. A little residual Roman and C17 pottery was present. (6)

Full excavation report. (7)

Sources :
Source Number : 1
Source : Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date)
Source details : OS 6" 1960
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 2
Source : The Victoria history of the county of Cambridge and the Isle of Ely : volume two
Source details :
Page(s) : 30
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 3
Source : Proceedings of the Cambridge Antiquarian Society
Source details :
Page(s) : 114-119
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 12 (1908)
Source Number : 4
Source : Field Investigators Comments
Source details : F1 GJM 13-DEC-76
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 4a
Source : Externally held archive reference
Source details : Cambridge Archaeological Record
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 5
Source : Medieval archaeology : journal of the Society for Medieval Archaeology
Source details :
Page(s) : 195
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 20 (1976)
Source Number : 6
Source : Proceedings of the Cambridge Antiquarian Society
Source details :
Page(s) : 175
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 66 (1976)
Source Number : 7
Source : Proceedings of the Cambridge Antiquarian Society
Source details :
Page(s) : 69-77
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 67 (1977)
Source Number : 8
Source : Scheduled Monument Notification
Source details : 12-Mar-98
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :

Monument Types:
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : Medieval
Monument End Date : 1540
Monument Start Date : 1066
Monument Type : Fishpond, Moat, Well, Feature, Pond, Ringwork
Evidence : Earthwork, Sub Surface Deposit

Components and Objects:
Related Records from other datasets:
External Cross Reference Source : Scheduled Monument Legacy (County No.)
External Cross Reference Number : CB 8
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : SMR Number (Cambridgeshire)
External Cross Reference Number : 1258
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : Scheduled Monument Legacy (National No.)
External Cross Reference Number : 24430
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : National Monuments Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : TL 44 NW 12
External Cross Reference Notes :

Related Warden Records :
Related Activities :
Associated Activities : Primary, ROUND MOAT
Activity type : EXCAVATION
Start Date : 1907-01-01
End Date : 1907-12-31
Associated Activities : Primary, FIELD OBSERVATION ON TL 44 NW 12
Activity type : FIELD OBSERVATION (VISUAL ASSESSMENT)
Start Date : 1976-12-13
End Date : 1976-12-13
Associated Activities : Primary, ROUND MOAT/HIGH STREET (FOW HS 93)
Activity type : EVALUATION
Start Date : 1993-01-01
End Date : 1993-12-31